• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WatermAlan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2014
    Carmel
    :rockwoot:I just ordered my first AK-47. :smileak: It's an Arsenal SLR107-34. I'll post pics once I pick it up from my LGS. Now I just need to stock up on mags and ammo. Any recommendations from the AK gurus on INGO? I hear that circle 10 mags are the best but are pretty pricey. Are they really worth $45? or are the cheap tapco/us palm mags acceptable? Any word on the magpul AK mags (I've seen lots of reviews where the tab on the spine keeps breaking off)? Steel vs polymer mags?

Since I'm a total :n00b: on the 7.62x39 round, can someone please explain the differences in the grain sizes and any manufacturers to avoid (or will it all run just the same)? Any differences between Wolf Polyformance vs Performance vs Military Classic? Lacquer vs poly coated?
    -Wolf Polyformance
    -Wolf Performance
    -Wolf Military Classic
    -Brown Bear
    -Red Army
    -Golden Bear
    -Golden Tiger

Someone please school me!!!! I can't wait to load up and go shooting!

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Congratulations and welcome! I'm no AK expert or guru but I'll chime in with my limited experience. I've tried milsurp mags, polymer from plinker tactical, and cheap promag. I liked the steel milsurp one the best, looked the best, functioned the best and didn't wobble. The plinker tactical mags did just a little if loaded. I haven't tried magpul or U.S. Palm so I can't say there.

As far as ammo, I've only used Wolf and Tulammo, and had no problems, so again I can't say anything about the others. Though I'm no ballistics expert. Sorry I'm probably not much help.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Very good questions. I've shot a buddies AK once and enjoyed it. That's the extent of my knowledge.:laugh:

I hope to get one someday so I would like to see the suggestions.

:popcorn:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Well you started out as good as it gets. Arsenals are the bees knees!

yes the circle 10 ((10)) mags are worth it. They are steel reenforced. Also collectible. Sent you a pm for first dibs but I have 2 black ((10)) mags I'll sell for $60 total if you drie to beech grove to get them. and at that price they'll last about 30 seconds among ak guys.
    stick with real surplus metal mags or true polymer mags like the ((10)). Tapco and promag are crap for the most part. For range use yeah I have some. Stick with steel case or the laquer ammo. Brass anmo seems to jam a lot depending on the brand.

the 7.62x39 round is devastating!! It will go through cars houses people animals. It's a beast. Hard hitting but not extremely rough recoil. I wouldn't pay more than $225 per thousand total! Don't do it. Hopefully it comes down even more but I'm not sure.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    You chose well sir, my SLR 107 is probably my favorite AK I've ever owned.

-((10)) mags are awesome, but expensive. Steel ones work just as well, at a much lower cost, but they are also heavier. US Palm are my personal favorite American made mag, and are as robust as the ones made across the pond from my experience. Tapco, current generation Magpul, Promag, etc.... are going to lack reinforcements where you need them, and are more prone to failure.

-It should eat anything you feed it. From my experience, Bear tends to be more accurate, followed by Wolf. I've not been extremely impressed with Tula, although many report that its improved in recent years.

Again, congrats and welcome to the dark side :smileak:

Last edited:

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I will add this: I really enjoy the vltor adjustable stock (own) and probably would enjoy the rifle dynamics m4 stock adapter (do not own) and, if you're using irons, I enjoy the RD Fuller rear sight mod immensely (own that too). Good luck.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    AK's were designed to run any kind of third world ammo and be maintained by itinerate villagers. It will shoot just about anything you feed it and keep shooting it all day long. The bolt was designed with a lot of extra mass to make sure it would cycle with all manner of foulness and mistreatment. Expect reasonable accuracy within standard combat distances, don't expect it to be what it isn't and you'll be happy as, well, as I am with my MAK90 variant. I've fed mine everything from old Chinese surplus to new wolf ammo and it has never not gone bang. I picked up about 30 steel 30rnd surplus mags back when people didn't think they were made out of something valuable.

It's a good weapon, and should last for years hidden in the dirt under a tarp.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    I have at least 2k rounds through my tapco mags without a single failure. I obviously am a small sample but dont discount their value just yet. Bought one of the magpul mags to try. Loads very smoothly but have onle emptied it twice so no opinion on longevity.
    I was having difficulty finding a chest rig that I liked. Most were either cheap crap that didnt fit me or more expensive crap that was made for AR mags and stated AK mags would 'work'.

I ended up going with this one AK47 Chest Rig Low Profile
    like it so much I bought two more AK ones and one for .308 PMags

remington870

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Hebron
    Aks will pretty much eat anything you feed them. I don't personally own one, but Ive shot my buddies quite a bit. He uses Wolf, Bear, and Red Army. I believe it was the Bear we had trouble with. It caused a stovepipe, and we had a failure to fire. And on top of that, we had a failure to fire on one round when were shooting an SKS.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got Circle 10 mags and no problems with them. I hear they're top notch. Mine do work fine.
    I also have Tapco, Magpul, and some cheap knockoff plastics. I've stayed away from them.
    I'm going all steel mags. I don't trust plastic in cold weather. Just my thinking. Take what I think with a grain of salt as I'm about as Noob as it gets on the AKs.

WatermAlan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2014
    Carmel
    Thanks for all the info guys! I'm on the hunt for mags and ammo now. I'll definitely be looking to pick up some ((10)) mags and loads and load and loads of ammo. Hope to get out this soon and put some rounds down range.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I used to have a Romanian WASR and now have an Arsenal SLR107-31 and a Zastava PAP M92 pistol that I am converting to a SBR. For mags I have Circle 10's, MagPul, Yugoslavian steel surplus, and some unknown steel surplus. For ammo I have only ever used Wolf Polyformance, Wolf Military Classic and Tula. I haven't had any issues with any of these combinations, although I have only limited use of the Magpuls in the Arsenal and M92. Time will tell how well they hold up.

Otis812

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    IN-IL line
    I've got a Russian made Legion Saiga 7.62x39 (converted by Arsenal) that has taken whatever I've used on it. I've got some US Palm, Tapco, & even Promags.....never had a problem with any of the mags. They all snap in good & empty out good. I used nothing but the cheap Tulammo ammo & haven't had one problem.

seadoodr.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    martinsville
    Congrats on the awesome rifle. I recently purchased a N-PAP ak and love it. The only mag I had trouble with was a crappy Korean one I picked up at a surplus store. Tapco mags seem to work just fine for plinking. Wolf, tula, norinco and brown bear all cycle with no problems. Shoot the h*** out of it and have fun.:yesway:

Top Bottom