• ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    That wasn't the point.

The officer challenged the OP by telling him that he should read the license where it says "concealed". My point was that he could've quickly and easily rebutted this by doing exactly as the officer said and showing him his license. Two seconds and the officer's argument crumbles.

Yeah, I'd have been all over that. :D

"Here it is, officer. I'm sorry you chose to stake your position on such an impossible and easily disproved error. Will you be requiring further correction before I leave you?" :cool:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This works both ways because not one LEO can cite anywhere in IC either when they make the claim that you cannot OC.

That's why when you produce an LTCH and ask him if he can point out anywhere that specifies mode of carry it will serve a purpose by putting the ball back in his court.

Since he is the one trying to enforce his position it is up to him to back it up.

Yes. But, if he's gonna haul me in, I really don't see him trying to show me.
    They may read your rights, and say what you're charged with.
    That charge may be B.S. and made up.
    And eventually I'll win.
    I just don't like the "eventually" part.
    Hey, this is what I do.
    I'm not telling everyone that I'm right, they're wrong.
    The more ino out there, the better.
    I know my knowledge of IC has grown exponentially since joining.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its not bad enough the encounter itself, but then to cover his badge and name! Seems to me he knew he was wrong and was trying to cover his A**. :cool:
    I'd have gone off on the reservist for doing that, yelling, "What's your name, officer? Why are you covering your name tag, Mr. Johnson County Sheriff's Deputy? What's your badge number, Deputy? Give me your business card, Officer!" over and over at the top of my lungs while clicking away at him with a still camera and getting as much public attention on him as humanly possible.

Sounds like he deserves a donkey punch
    :n00b:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I'd have gone off on the reservist for doing that, yelling, "What's your name, officer? Why are you covering your name tag, Mr. Johnson County Sheriff's Deputy? What's your badge number, Deputy? Give me your business card, Officer!" over and over at the top of my lungs while clicking away at him with a still camera and getting as much public attention on him as humanly possible.

Throw in a "Mr.MAN" and a "Cocka Doodie!!" and I'm totally picturing Kathy Bates (Misery). :):

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Sounds like you did a good job of standing up for your rights but personally I like to think I learn something from reading these threads. Only thing I might have tried different would be to show him that the LTCH says nothing about carrying concealed. If he still insisted on covering it, I would at that point then follow up with a letter to the Sheriff or maybe go visit him in person.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    You say he covered his badge and name!

That is a ridiculous thing for a uniformed officer to do. It is possible he was trying to hide the fact that he is a reserve deputy who only gets to stand around movie theatres? Maybe he was someone impersonating an officer. Did you see a sheriff car parked outside? It would be easy to spot parked illegally and left running near the door!

I hope you go to the Sheriff and get it cleared up.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    You say he covered his badge and name!

That is a ridiculous thing for a uniformed officer to do. It is possible he was trying to hide the fact that he is a reserve deputy who only gets to stand around movie theatres? Maybe he was someone impersonating an officer. Did you see a sheriff car parked outside? It would be easy to spot parked illegally and left running near the door!

I hope you go to the Sheriff and get it cleared up.

That's nothing. I had a run-in with a uniformed Marshall County Reserve Deputy once and asked him for his card. He refused to give me one. He was not wearing a name tag so I asked him his name again. He gave me his last name. When I asked if I could use his pen to write that down, he said "NO". Real professional. Good thing I have a good memory so I could point him out to the Chief Deputy when I went in to file a complaint. :D

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Chances are there is some security video that can be used to identify the deputy and capture the event.

no need for all that, i saw his nametag as we were talking outside when the conversation first started. but when i made an obvious attempt to read it, while he watched and knew what i was doing he choose to cover it up as it holding his hand over heart while saying the pledge of allegience

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Just so I'm clear, you're GTG for OC at the cinemark movies 8? Yay! :D

Priest, sounds like you did exactly what you thought was right and that's all any of us can do in the moment. :+1:

Top Bottom