• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Sometimes you have to think that you won, when you really get beat. I mean it could have been a lot worse. The hard on that could have been created by him having a bad night, could have reulted in a long night in cold weather. So did you win lotto? I guess thats the real question?
    Perhaps it was a loss, perhaps not. On one hand I think that since we both went home safely, it was a good night. On the other hand, I think that all the time spent in his car asking dispatch what to do actually informed him that I wasn't in the wrong and may make him a better officer for it. IDK really but it sure seemed like he wasn't very experienced in this situation. No, didn't hit the lotto so maybe it was an all around loss:dunno:

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    PLEASE do not turn this into a bashing thread from either side. I am trying to see both sides of the issue. The officer seemed to be doing his best and I was simply trying to assert my rights. We DID reach a compromise and both went on about our way with no real harm done. He may have been frustrated that I knew my rights and told him so, but he also didn't really push the issue as I have known many in that County to do.

Compromise? What kind of a compromise did WE meaning you and the LEO reach. Hmmm the LEO disarmed a legal gun owner, and forced you to stand there unarmed and defenseless until such time as the LEO determined that you were no threat, and for what? A broken tail light. POS if you ask me. No I am not bashing, but YOU did make the compromise, not the LEO, he took your gun, unloaded it, and then ORDERED you to not reload until clear of the area, well I say "F" that... That is an ILLEGAL order and you were not required to follow it. Please dont think I am bashing you, but YOU were the only one who was compromised...

INGunGuy

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Im curious about the question "do you have any illegal knives?".
    I guess it could be only asking about auto knives as you can carry any time of knives legally.
    Also weird he didnt ask about any throwing stars.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    I respectfully disagree with your last statement.

I've been pulled over be a deputy who was less than professional when I informed him I had a license and I was carrying.
    You never know who's going to pull you over, a cop who's pissing vinegar and thinks he knows it all or a seasoned LEO who knows the law and doesn't abuse it.

If I were you I would roll the dice.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    When you pull me over and ask to search my vehicle and I say no, what do you say? My follow up question is, why do you want to search my vehicle. I'm anxious to know your answer since you said it's standard to ask for consent even though you have know reason to search.

If you have reason to search your flirting with cause. In which case your consent does not mean anything to me. Even if I have probably cause I always ask for consent and typically I get it. If something goes to court I have consent and a PC search to work with. If the person says no and I have PC I tell them what my PC is and search.

If you ask me why do I want to search your vehicle I am basically going to tell you to check for anything that is illegal

You say I do not have anything illegal, I tell you people are not always honest with police blah blah blah. You say no I tell you your free to leave.

marine4life

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    South Indy
    I am gonna have to disagree with you. The more the resistance you give the LEO the more he wants to put the screws to you. Believe me I am in no way justificating what happened. However, telling him "no" is only going to offend him more. I must agree with the coarse of action taken to make the LEO feel like he is back in charge of the situation. Making a officer angry with you is never a good idea.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Compromise? What kind of a compromise did WE meaning you and the LEO reach. Hmmm the LEO disarmed a legal gun owner, and forced you to stand there unarmed and defenseless until such time as the LEO determined that you were no threat, and for what? A broken tail light. POS if you ask me. No I am not bashing, but YOU did make the compromise, not the LEO, he took your gun, unloaded it, and then ORDERED you to not reload until clear of the area, well I say "F" that... That is an ILLEGAL order and you were not required to follow it. Please dont think I am bashing you, but YOU were the only one who was compromised...

INGunGuy
    Good points. Next time I will try to be a bigger jackazz and waste my whole evening, sit in cuffs, have my wife wake our kids, come to the jail and take me to the impound lot to get my truck back. Or maybe I would have just gone home knowing there was now a cop with something to prove always on the watch for me? I know we all talk big about these things, myself included, but how far do we actually push when put in the situation? This event went a lot different than my past experiences have considering I have always broken down and let them know right from the beginning that I was carrying. This was a first exercise for me in the sense that I didn't inform, and next time I may be a bit more bold about it. It was sort of a "testing the waters" type thing. What I did learn is that they really DON"T know the laws and my rights and that it is a time wasting event for them to go sit in the car and wait for dispatch to tell them how to proceed. Hopefully there won't be a next time, but I bet there is.

sonny27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Carmel
    If you have reason to search your flirting with cause. In which case your consent does not mean anything to me. Even if I have probably cause I always ask for consent and typically I get it. If something goes to court I have consent and a PC search to work with. If the person says no and I have PC I tell them what my PC is and search.

If you ask me why do I want to search your vehicle I am basically going to tell you to check for anything that is illegal

You say I do not have anything illegal, I tell you people are not always honest with police blah blah blah. You say no I tell you your free to leave.

After ThrottleJockey admitted he had a firearm the deputy asked to search his vehicle. There was no PC or officer safety issues. If you haven't read this you may want to...

Indiana Appeals Court: Concealed Carry Not A License To Be Searched

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Not bagging on you, TJ, but I would have handled it differently. Yes, it may have meant not going home for a longer time than what you experienced but I am a disabled vet. I have time for things that I think are worthwhile.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I think part of the reason I went along is that I am not an IN resident and this sometimes leads to a bit more confusion for a LEO. It's hard enough for them to understand how gun laws and carry licenses work HERE for RESIDENTS, much less how they apply to residents of another state. This guy actually thought there was a statewide database for permit holders and even thought he could check some sort of MN database as well.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Personally, no one is searching me, my car, or my house with my consent. If they feel they have probable cause, then they don't have to ask.

If they have too ask then they're fishing. I'm not biting.

HereNthere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Plainfield
    "I know Indiana has reciprocity with Minnesota and that I am NOT required to inform him."

FYI, Indiana recognizes ALL valid permits from other states. Too bad MN doesn't return the favor. As a MN resident, maybe you could let your representatives know that true reciprocity would be a nice thing to consider. Just sayin'...

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0

INGunGuy
    Do you have Tourette Syndrome?

Seriously...is this the only way you know how to communicate?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    "I know Indiana has reciprocity with Minnesota and that I am NOT required to inform him."

FYI, Indiana recognizes ALL valid permits from other states. Too bad MN doesn't return the favor. As a MN resident, maybe you could let your representatives know that true reciprocity would be a nice thing to consider. Just sayin'...
    I know huh. IN is actually the ONLY state that recognizes all other states. In MN as liberal as they are, we're lucky we even got the permit to carry a pistol passed. We have to go through a full day of classroom with a skills test at the end just to apply for it, but no fingerprinting. I've noticed that fingerprinting is a big thing for many states reciprocity, a LOT of states will not even consider it with a state that doesn't require prints.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom