• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ogtruckin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 10, 2017
    Vault 76
    I was involved in a road rage incident a couple of nights ago. I tried driving away but ended up getting blocked in at a stop sign. I had my window down and the guy ran up to my window and punched me in the face, then ran back to his car. I drove off and ended up calling the police. I was carrying at the time but didn't know if i should pull my pistol or not? The cop told me I should have shot him but I'm not sure. Has anyone else had an experience like that?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was involved in a road rage incident a couple of nights ago. I tried driving away but ended up getting blocked in at a stop sign. I had my window down and the guy ran up to my window and punched me in the face, then ran back to his car. I drove off and ended up calling the police. I was carrying at the time but didn't know if i should pull my pistol or not? The cop told me I should have shot him but I'm not sure. Has anyone else had an experience like that?

City cop? Sheriff? State?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Just remember every bullet has a lawyer attached to it. Could you have? Probably. If you could articulate a fear for your life. Are you ready for the jerkwad's family to sue you because he was a nice boy turning his life around?

I dont think you did the wrong thing based on your description.

ogtruckin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 10, 2017
    Vault 76
    It was a city cop. They said if they were in that situation they would have shot them, so they didn't exactly tell me I should have shot them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Cops have that shiny get out of jail free thingy that the rest of us don't. Good for you having the wherewithal to get punched and not shoot the attacker.

According to the vid from Shrek, your window up might have saved you the pain. I notice he didn't mention getting pics or video. I'm thinking more and more my vehicles need always running dedicated cameras to go along with the dash mounted smart phone.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Cops have that shiny get out of jail free thingy that the rest of us don't. Good for you having the wherewithal to get punched and not shoot the attacker.

According to the vid from Shrek, your window up might have saved you the pain. I notice he didn't mention getting pics or video. I'm thinking more and more my vehicles need always running dedicated cameras to go along with the dash mounted smart phone.

A dash mounted camera is a good idea, but taking video with your phone in your hands will very likely instigate the road rager into a deeper rage. Also your hands will be needed to drive out, fight or call 911. I dont think that's what you were suggesting, I'm just putting it out there.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Years ago, I had a guy chase me on an access road after I merged in front of him (he wouldn't have had to hit his brakes, but he gunned it trying to close the 3-car length gap). High-speed (70-80 in a 2-lane 40) until I lost him at a light that changed. I got stuck at the next light, he came up behind, got out, punched my window repeatedly, punched and dented my trunk, got in his car and sped off ... with 3 small children in the back seat.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area

At what point where you supposed to shoot him? You can't shoot him before he hits you, after he hits you he's running away, not a good shoot there. You had about a half second window to legally shoot the dude and you were not ready anyway...so you did right.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I picked up an in car DVR that Hoosierdoc posted about. That reminds me that I need to hook it up.

:xmad: I just spent 11 hours on the road this weekend, still this January "lightning deal" sits collecting dust...

20170607_232411_zpsphgkb9am.jpg

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If the dude is out of the car it is hard to imagine that driving away is not an option.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

If you handled the situation in a manner in which you were not seriously hurt and none of your people got hurt and you did not have to kill somebody, I think you did pretty good.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    If the dude is out of the car it is hard to imagine that driving away is not an option.

Pinned in traffic.

I'm not comfortable with turning my head away from someone who is doing the stuff the attacker was doing. I get not feeding him attention, but I'm probably going to keep an eye on him.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Agreed. Depending on if there was a car blocking from the rear. At that point possible witness.

Or.......when he reaches in to hit you be in reverse and put some pain on him. It does work if properly timed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Especially if his arm got rolled up...... oh um I mean accidentally got rolled up in my window. I'd roll the window back down to ask him a question when I got up to 50 mph.

Ha. I did not read the entire thread.....again......and posted similar. Be ready for douche bags.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Hmmm...the only (near) road rage incident I was involved in was about fifteen years ago coming home around 11:00 at night from work.
    I was out on one of the two-lane country roads leading from the country into town when I got behind what looked like a carload of young men going about 45 in a 55 zone.
    Deciding that I didn't really feel like going 10 under for the next five miles, I initiated a pass in my beat up old Dodge Charger (the crappier 1990s version with the big hatchback, not the current cool version, or even cooler 1960s version).
    The moron behind the wheel thought it would be cool to stomp the gas up past 70 when I was almost even with him, forcing me to get on it and take it much faster than I would ever ordinarily like doing, around 75-80, before I finally just barely got ahead of him and back in my lane.
    The moron (obviously suffering from Tiny Johnson Syndrome) then put his brights, then got right on my ass, prompting me giving him the old El Birdo by simply holding my right hand up at head level inside the car that was now illuminated by his brights and easily visible through the hatchback.
    By this time, I was less than a mile from home, so deciding not to just advertise where I lived, I instead went to the closest brightly lit area with people around, which was the nearby Marsh parking lot.
    Sure enough, they were right behind me, clearly with bad intentions, so I found a space as close as practical to the store, pulling in quickly, taking it out of gear, then getting out as quickly as possible, all before they even had a chance to begin pulling into the space right next to me that they were aiming at.
    I'm 6'4" and 220 lbs, and I made sure to make sure they could see that, rapidly moving circling around the front of my car as they pulled in, then circling back around the back end toward them, all the while making eye contact.
    I seriously intended to not give them a chance to even get out of the car, planning to immediately kick the car door shut as hard as I could on whichever was the unlucky one to be the first to attempt to get out.
    I could see at least one of the guys looking a bit nervous, as they crept into the space next to me, moving his mouth in what looked like an approximation of "oh ****," before the driver must have realized what a bad idea this was by aborting his attempt to bring the car to a stop, instead speeding up and exiting the parking lot and disappearing down the road.
    I stayed where I was for another five minutes, looking for them in case they changed their minds and returned, but they didn't, so I wove through the neighborhood to ensure that they weren't tailing me for another ten minutes, then finally pulled into the driveway at home.
    It would have been a bad idea to try and get into some kind of speed duel on the road, so I'm certain that I made the right choice showing them that I didn't intend to go down without at least two of them with broken fingers or legs from car doors slammed hard on them.

Top Bottom