• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I am going to ISU as undeclared. I don't know what I want to do really. Well actually I want to do a lot but can't decided. But I love being outdoors, hiking, camping, kayaking, and I love the beauty of nature. So Im thinking maybe a DNR agent of some sort, or a conservation officer might be something I'd like to do.

So I guess what Im looking for is suggestions on other jobs I might like, or if someone who is a conservation officer or the like would let me tag along a couple of days so I can really see what its like. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Before you think further about being a CO... are you in shape? Are you highly motivated?

Can you get that way if you're not already?

The open slots for being an IN CO are highly competitive. And their police academy training is quite difficult. Think Army boot camp.

Just food for thought.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    You can also contact Indiana Dunes or Lincoln Boyhood Home (National Park Service), Big Oaks or Muskatatuck (National Wildlife Refuge), Army Corp of Engineers, and Hoosier National Forest (US Forest Service). All of the above are federal agencies with property and personnel here in Indiana.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    After I got out of the service and went to college I was thinking the same thing.
    I thought long and hard about becoming a C.O. Then it dawned on me that I would be working instead of hunting. Duh!
    SO I became a teacher at the college level and had plenty of time to hunt.
    I am now retired and each morning I wake up and say "I think I will go hunting today". or "I'm not going hunting today". lol
    Good luck in finding a major.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also:

If you're thinking that you'd like a Natural Resources / Nat'l Recs Mgmnt degree...

Know that it's quite difficult to get a job with those degrees. It's even more difficult go find GAINFUL employment with those degrees. If you go that route, your minor/minors will help you a GREAT deal. Geology / Chemistry minors, Environmental Geology / Environmental Chemistry, etc etc.

-J-

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    < -- works for the DNR.

Gainful employment with the DNR involves very little of the things you mention liking. The rule of thumb is the more you make/higher up you are, the more time you spend at a desk.
    If you enjoy making sure others have a place to hunt, fish, hike, camp, mountian bike, etc., then the DNR would be good for you. That's what I do.

Rare jobs that involve hiking or being outside all the time are usually laborers, part-time, or seasonal jobs.

My first job with DNR was a seasonal job paddling a canoe down a creek, picking up trash, and cutting out logjams for less money than I made waiting tables. My first promotion (and full time work) moved me to Indy and a cube supervising my old position.

A-savvy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Before you think further about being a CO... are you in shape? Are you highly motivated?

Can you get that way if you're not already?

The open slots for being an IN CO are highly competitive. And their police academy training is quite difficult. Think Army boot camp.

Just food for thought.

This is true, it is highly competitive. I have been through the entire hiring process twice which lasts about a year, and was cut right before recruit school both times. Over 700 hundred people applied and they only take about 30 into recruit school. A degree in Conservation will look good on your app. but it does not mean they will take you into recruit school. Nothing guarantees your spot. Everyone has to go through the whole hiring process and you will see people of all ages and backgrounds. Im not trying to scare you, just give you some insight from someone thats been through the hiring process.

Recruit school is a live-in para-military type training which starts at camp Atterbury. So if your are serious about becoming a CO start getting in shape now if you are not already. They want to see people that are physicaly ready on the first day of the hiring process. You will have to run 10 miles the last day of school so start running/training now. When you feel that you have run enough, RUN MORE!

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I will second the competitive nature of being a conservation officer. One of the guys who worked for me years ago had served a tour in Iraq as a Marine, had a degree in conservation law, and was working as as summer employee with the DNR and he still didn't make it. He was very close though.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I am going to ISU as undeclared. I don't know what I want to do really. Well actually I want to do a lot but can't decided. But I love being outdoors, hiking, camping, kayaking, and I love the beauty of nature. So Im thinking maybe a DNR agent of some sort, or a conservation officer might be something I'd like to do.

So I guess what Im looking for is suggestions on other jobs I might like, or if someone who is a conservation officer or the like would let me tag along a couple of days so I can really see what its like. Any help would be extremely appreciated.
    Go visit the DNR fishery located by Martinsville. It is on Hwy 44 East of Hwy 37, no not the one you see from the highway. Obviously call first. Among other things, they bring all the fish every year to the Indiana DNR display at the State Fair.

DNR: The Indiana District Fisheries Biologists

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    From another thread on CO hiring, I found the pre-screen questionnaire. One bit that would kill me:

" I realize that I will be required to swim 100 yards without stopping, and to tread water for at least five minutes, and I have the ability to do both."

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I graduated from ISU with a Crim degree. Indiana State's Crim dept. ranks top 25 in the country every year. My minor was in history. Its a great school. PM me if you ever have any questions that I may be able to help you out with.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The jobs that pay you to do what most people do for free, or pay to do, are few and far between.

Most involve some kind of Federal Grant, and they don't last very long.

My sister has been trying to get one of these jobs for the better part of the last decade. Most require you to work for free before they'll even consider paying you.

Currently, she works at a Muni zoo.

Top Bottom