• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    You all probably already know about this, but I just discovered a nice repository of commentaries by Jeff Cooper.

Jeff Cooper's Commentaries

It's kind of like what would be in a blog these days. I'm excited about it, as I start mining the data for jewels, which seem to be plentiful. Among them, this quote:

The society of late twentieth century America is perhaps the first in human history where most grown men do not routinely bear arms on their persons and boys are not regularly raised from childhood to learn skill in the use of some kind of weapon, either for community or personal defense − club or spear, broadsword or long bow, rifle or Bowie knife. It also happens to be one of the rudest and crudest societies in history, having jubilantly swept most of the etiquette of speech, table, dress, hospitality, fairness, deference to authority and the relations of male and female and child and elder under the fraying and filthy carpet of politically convenient illusions. With little fear of physical reprisal Americans can be as loud, gross, disrespectful, pushy, and negligent as they please. If more people carried rapiers at their belts, or revolvers on their hips, It is a fair bet you would be able to go to a movie and enjoy he dialogue from the screen without having to endure the small talk, family gossip and assorted bodily noises that many theater audiences these days regularly emit. Today, discourtesy is commonplace precisely because there is no price to pay for it.

- Samuel Francis

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    thanks I've always enjoyed them. Here's one from 1993:
    We read now of a new 338 Lapua Magnum. This very powerful cartridge was designed by the Finns especially for long-range sniping and puts out a 250-grain bullet at 3,000 feet per second (against about 2,700 for the similar Winchester Magnum). This is all very impressive, but one wonders if it is any particular improvement over the 375 Holland. In any case, it is now available as a hunting cartridge and should land neatly in the same box with the 375, which we have had around since 1912. These big medium cartridges are highly regarded by a great many men of deep experience, but I remain dubious. They are extravagant for ninety percent of your African shooting and inadequate for the other ten. That is just my subjective opinion, of course.

Top Bottom