Jeep VS Truck for a reliable, easy to work on 4X4 that can go anywhere.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Bout time I get a proper vehicle and replace my crappy lil' Ford Focus with a vehicle that I can rely on to take me across the country, through the snow and off the road if need be. I don't know squat about vehicles though.

What would you recommend, and why: A 4X4 Jeep Wrangler or a small/medium sized 4X4 truck?

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Gm 4x4 truck.. Easy to work on and cheap to buy. The extended cab is quite roomy. I guess it depends on your needs.. Towing/truck bed.. Is nice. I like jeeps too though. You have family?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    My limited experience is that most people have a love/hate relationship with Wranglers, with little room in between.

Budget matters, as does your desire for features/aesthetics and appetite for fuel economy coming from a Focus.

My first vehicle was a 1980 K5 Blazer and I think it is just about perfect for a non-pickup type vehicle. Mechanically very straightforward, HUGE engine compartment with plenty of room to work, can seat four adults and have room in back for stuff...plus it has two live axles, is competent offroad, and is almost like rolling testosterone. Mine got all of 8mpg though with a 350/350 combo and axles poorly geared for 32s.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Those older jeep Cherokees are pretty bullet proof, and you can still find clean ones that haven't been cut up or anything yet. Not as roomy as a truck would be, but could get you anywhere with its 4 wheel drive and reliable 4.0 online 6

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Jeep Wranglers are very reliable. Plus, they are easy to work on. If you get a TJ, which is 1996-20006, everything under the hood is accessible. If you ever have to work on it, everything will be an easy job. And that 4.0 is a tank. It's a wonderful engine.

The Jk's, 2007-2011 have the 3.8 engine, the minivan engine. It's horrible in a jeep, but doable. The 2012-2015 have the 3.6, which is a newer engine, and is MUCH better than the 3.6. It's too early to till if it will ever outperform the 4.0 though.

Jeeps are also expensive, but they hold their value very well. And, once you get one, you will find yourself doing mods and buying all kinds of parts. Your wallet will HATE you.

A truck is more economical, and more practical. You can haul anything, and tow anything. A jeep can't. But with a jeep, you belong to a club. It's a different lifestyle. You'll always have a smile on your face when you pull the doors off and drop the top. They're a blast.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I would choose a Toyota Tacoma as the go anywhere 4x4. If you haven't seen Top Gear try to destroy a Hilux (Toyota's non-US Tacoma equivalent), hop over to YouTube and check it out.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've got a 2005 Wrangler Rubicon and a 2012 Hemi Ram 1500. If I had to pick between the two it'd be the Ram all day, every day. Much more practical, comfortable and fuel efficient even with 35's and a small lift.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I am no joke balls-out obsessed with the new Jeep Renegade Trailhawk.

It's out of my budget, It's got an overly complex transmission, I don't have a garage, and it kind of looks like a soccer mom mobile, but it's actually got some chops.

I.ve got priorities more important than a new vehicle, but I'm all over it once people start trading their leases in in a few years.

I keeping finding ways to justify it as a prepping need.

[video=youtube_share;F8KX2h1WWng]http://youtu.be/F8KX2h1WWng[/video]

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    The fact I can work on a Jeep should answer the question. If it weren't easy, I wouldn't touch it. One nice thing is that you can fold the hood all the way back to the windshield, giving more access than any truck I've seen. There's lots of room under the hood, too.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'll second Josh's suggestion of the Tacoma. They don't come any tougher and you can always use the bed space for carrying cargo. Hard to get a load of wood in a Wrangler. I owned a Wrangler some years ago and it was a total lemon. I actually returned it to the dealership and stopped the payments. Wouldn't own a Jeep product again for anything. I'd have a Tacoma in a hot minute, though.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    As others have asked... Budget? Buying new? Used? Well used?

If you want practical, I'd go with a 4-door pickup. Yep, that's right, the Jeep guy just recommended a pickup. But, having a pickup bed for hauling, the ability to tow, and room for 4 adults (or 2 plus a LOT of gear locked safely inside) is pretty darned handy. There are some new diesels coming out that are worth a look. Lots of options on the used market, too.

If you want just plain fun, then a newer 4-door Wrangler. Still has a lot of room, but you can drop the top, stick on some bigger tires, and drive it just about anywhere you would dare. There is something to be said for ENJOYING your drive to and from work!

Or, wait a year or two, and Jeep is supposed to have a pickup again. :rockwoot:

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I'm so conflicted.

On one hand, Jeeps are just simply badass. I've always wanted one without even quite knowing why. Just attracted to the Jeep. I watched Jeep videos for like an hour on YouTube today too... :shady:

But on the other hand... with a truck, you can get a shell for the back and boom, you have a perfect camping companion!..

img_0926.jpg

That'd be an awesome setup actually. Plus if I wanted to hit the road and travel I could save a lot of money on hotel stays by just staying in the back of my truck...

But then again... Jeeps...

The thing is, eventually I am relocating down to Texas. I've got 20 acres that is easy access off a main highway and down a dirt road about half a mile or so. I was able to access it fine in a Chrysler 200 rental car. But when it rains, I'd need 4WD for sure, and to of course access the more rugged roads I would need 4WD because a lot of them are well off the beaten path and as rugged as you can imagine. Besides, the 20 acres that's easy access I plan on making just for me. I may want to get more land down there that is off the beaten path in the mountains/hills for a shooting range / camp site / whatever location and I like the idea of it being hard to access.

So now, I don't know. May be leaning more towards a truck for it's ability to be a camping companion and it's ability to haul stuff.,

I don't have a budget in mind just yet since I'm still sort of mulling it over and researching. Once I decide what I really want I'll figure out what I can afford. :)

This thread exists just to get some general opinions.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Jeep Cherokee (XJ, not the new one and not the Grand). 4.0 inline six/AW4 is almost bullet proof and pretty simple to work on. Gear selected transfercase, not a electronic case. A stock XJ rides pretty well, a lifted XJ depends on the set up. If you are not off roading it, lift it two inches and leave stock tires on it. I would drive a stock XJ anywhere, a lifted XJ is a different story (at least mine is, but it is set up as a toy now).

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you want to be able to haul stuff around without dealing with a trailer, and very practical get the truck.

If you want an SUV, get an FJ, and if you have the room for it, get a low cost trailer to haul some stuff around.

but you will have to buy used in the US at this point, as they are no longer imported:

Top Bottom