• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    They crammed a lot into three hours. I was surprised.

Just wanted to say thanks to Rhino and Coach for an excellent job today. I learned plenty in just 3 hours. Now I need to start practicing....
    That's what training is for: To show us how and what to practice.

x2bax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just wanted to say thanks to Rhino and Coach for an excellent job today. I learned plenty in just 3 hours. Now I need to start practicing....

+1 I had a great time and learned a bunch ( I also learned how much I still need to learn!) Thanks again Coach and Rhino.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

You're welcome!

I'm glad it was a good experience for you and it was good getting to meet you. We hope to see you again in the future!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm beginning to think these ACT guys are OK.:D

It was a good batch of SD drills. Rhino tied the drills into how it might relate on the street.

It's quite funny how a few of us, who had been through some of these drills before, were much harder on ourselves than the instructors were. I'm not the only one who finished saying "I didn't scan, I could be dead now." Interesting how the benefits of regular training comes to light.

Barnn showed us how a product of regular training works. He drug his second choice gun out of the safe. He put the 4 rounds of .45acp on a falling popper. Impressive.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    They crammed a lot into three hours. I was surprised.

I appreciate the feedback from your perspective, Barry. In the format we've chosen, I was concerned about balance and pace of the class, especially with a diverse group present. I didn't want to make it seem like I making people drink from a fire hose, but I also wanted to make good use of the time we had.

That's what training is for: To show us how and what to practice.

And getting a glimpse of "what you don't know you don't know" is often a remarkable revelation. I will never stop learning.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for the observations, sir.

You make an excellent point . . .

When a student becomes "self-correcting," at least for their own recurring mistakes, they've reached a milestone in my opinion. When you can realize that you made a mistake, and then have a plan to correct it for next time, you're well on your way. That level of awareness is sometimes hard earned. With some things, if we both know what you did and we both know you'll be harder on yourself than I would be, it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to make an issue of it. Never assume that we don't notice, though! I will never be anything like Louis Awerbuck who NEVER MISSES ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS ON HIS RANGE (he's spooky!), but I see a lot of things that I know I don't need to mention explicitly. Had I noticed something new or unusual, I absolutely would have addressed is at the earliest opportunity.

In the short time ACT has been doing this as a group, it's been really fun and interesting to see some of our regular students develop and grow their skill sets. It's also great to see the level of comfort (but not complacency!) grow, so that it's easier to keep things in perspective. On personal level, your own excellent progress has been rewarding for us all to observe (and we do talk about you gusy frequently). Remember "in the old days" how we kept suggesting that you should relax a little? I think you've made remarkable progress in that regard alone and it has helped every single facet of your shooting and tactics.

I'm beginning to think these ACT guys are OK.:D

It was a good batch of SD drills. Rhino tied the drills into how it might relate on the street.

It's quite funny how a few of us, who had been through some of these drills before, were much harder on ourselves than the instructors were. I'm not the only one who finished saying "I didn't scan, I could be dead now." Interesting how the benefits of regular training comes to light.

Barnn showed us how a product of regular training works. He drug his second choice gun out of the safe. He put the 4 rounds of .45acp on a falling popper. Impressive.

jonkertb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Putnam County
    Where to begin??? I was probably the oldest newby at this training and as such have rediscovered that a lifetime of bad habits can be a hard thing to overcome in a day....
    and practicing bringing my pistol from the holster to the ready in the "new to me" way in the living room has the wife rolling her eyes :>).
    It was a great day, still scraping my boots but I didn't clean the glock as I would have if it was one of those other guns!
    I enjoyed the "fun" drills of the turning target and knock down man but think the figure eight walk was the best to bring the day together. Being a new guy, that did get the adrenaline pumping especially with the crowd of BAD GUYS behind me....had to keep an eye on them...
    Liked the small class size and enjoyed the banter, came home and began my online search and study for my next purchase....one of those fancy electronic ear muff gismos.
    .....and no....I'm not ready to become a big brass hunter just yet!
    thanks guys
    tom

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    was great shooting with everyone, I'll post up some pics later today.

My quote of the day "Make sure you come home with the same number of HOLES you left with!" - Rhino

Was great seeing everyone and a great way to break in the baby Glock....

BOOM... HEADSHOT! :D

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    This was my first defense only related class and it did pack a lot into 3 hours.
    The drills and the explanation of what they were for is helpful to me because if I no why I'm doing it it makes it easier to do.
    I am going to do some serious work on my draw stroke because it is completely wrong.
    I had seen the figure 8 drill on TV but I had never dreamed it would be that difficult
    Rob makes it look easy.:)
    I will get to as many of these as I can manage . It's good stuff guys keep it up

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Tom:

It was good meeting you and I'm glad you had a good day!

I knwo what you mean about old habits, but now you can work on developing new habits to replace them. On the bright side, when you get your new earmuffs, you can turn the volume to maximum and actually hear your wife's eyes rolling as practice.

Stay safe!

Where to begin??? I was probably the oldest newby at this training and as such have rediscovered that a lifetime of bad habits can be a hard thing to overcome in a day....
    and practicing bringing my pistol from the holster to the ready in the "new to me" way in the living room has the wife rolling her eyes :>).
    It was a great day, still scraping my boots but I didn't clean the glock as I would have if it was one of those other guns!
    I enjoyed the "fun" drills of the turning target and knock down man but think the figure eight walk was the best to bring the day together. Being a new guy, that did get the adrenaline pumping especially with the crowd of BAD GUYS behind me....had to keep an eye on them...
    Liked the small class size and enjoyed the banter, came home and began my online search and study for my next purchase....one of those fancy electronic ear muff gismos.
    .....and no....I'm not ready to become a big brass hunter just yet!
    thanks guys
    tom

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah, we're not going to forget your kicka** head shot on that turning target drill! The Baby Glock does pretty well. It's almost like a gun, only smaller. :D

I wish I could take credit for that quote, but I swiped it from someone else who swiped it from someone else who . . . you get the idea. On the other hand, part of my lot in life is to pass those things to others. As Coach can tell you, the rhino is good at only two things: watching television and running his mouth. :patriot:

was great shooting with everyone, I'll post up some pics later today.

My quote of the day "Make sure you come home with the same number of HOLES you left with!" - Rhino

Was great seeing everyone and a great way to break in the baby Glock....

BOOM... HEADSHOT! :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You make a good point about the figure 8 drill. The biggest issue it presents to students is the amount of information you have to process and then being forced to make decisions. Even if you've done it before, it's still stressful. We'll keep doing it on occasion because the more your basic skills become a part of your conditioned responses, the more of your brain power you can devote to really seeing what you need to see so you can make decisions and act decisively with much less delay.

I try to do my best to explain why we choose to present the information we share with our students. "Because that's the way we do it" usually isn't good enough for me!

Your draw stroke and presentation will come along with time. What you were doing before wasn't necessarily wrong; it was just a streamlined version of what we did on Saturday. That's okay to do if you know for sure you're going to be shooting or at least pressing-out to full extension immediately from the holster. However, many or even most occasions you may need to have your gun in your hands, but you've not yet made the decision to shoot . . . then you have more options.

This was my first defense only related class and it did pack a lot into 3 hours.
    The drills and the explanation of what they were for is helpful to me because if I no why I'm doing it it makes it easier to do.
    I am going to do some serious work on my draw stroke because it is completely wrong.
    I had seen the figure 8 drill on TV but I had never dreamed it would be that difficult
    Rob makes it look easy.:)
    I will get to as many of these as I can manage . It's good stuff guys keep it up

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Thanks for the great pictures. You did not have a lot to work with for subjects :)

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    From the comments I'm reading, sounds like this format is a success. I wanted to point out that the self defense seminars are not intended to replace our series of tiered classes, but as an "added attraction". Those of you that attended, bravo. Coach and Rhino preach the gospel well.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom