Jan '12 1500: Gun runner or just paranoid?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Gas City, IN
    I brought a krinkov to the show to sell. I put on my sign that I wanted to see LTCH and ID or be willing to transfer. I get 10 ft inside the door and a guy stops me and wants to see it. He obviously knew a little about it. Started blowing me crap about the receiver it was on so I knew he was gonna make me an offer by his attempt so soften me up. He offered me about 100 less than my minimum I was gonna take for it. I politely told him no thanks and what my minimum was. He said he couldn't do it so I started to walk away. 20 more feet and he chases me down and says ok. We walk over and he pulls out a wad of cash and has me count it to make sure. It was all there. I then ask him for some ID or LTCH. He starts fumbling around and then finally said he must have left it in his car. As much as it killed me to hand that cash back I told him no thanks. Now what kind of guy goes to a gun show with no ID? Gunrunner, felon, paranoid? I just didn't feel comfortable selling to someone that I have no idea if they are the up and up? Just doesn't sit well with me.:n00b:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, I believe that individual attempted to purchase my pistol . . . that was in my holster.

I was handing out flyers and he sauntered over to me. I gave him a ISRPA flyer and started my pitch . . . his gaze shifted to the pistol on my waist and he asked "how much"?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Might have been a reporter, a lawyer for anti gun organizations or a BAFT agent testing. About ten years ago I had a poorly dressed man try to sell me a firearm at the 1500. The price was really cheap but the serial numbers had obviously been altered. I turned him down and walked away. As I watched him, he went over an talked to two well dressed middle aged men, not showing them the firearm. They watched him every time the seller talked to someone else. I kind of think there was some type of set up/decoy tactic going on.

jbrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Gas City, IN
    Might have been a reporter, a lawyer for anti gun organizations or a BAFT agent testing. About ten years ago I had a poorly dressed man try to sell me a firearm at the 1500. The price was really cheap but the serial numbers had obviously been altered. I turned him down and walked away. As I watched him, he went over an talked to two well dressed middle aged men, not showing them the firearm. They watched him every time the seller talked to someone else. I kind of think there was some type of set up/decoy tactic going on.

Never even thought about this at all. Kind of scary in its own right.

Guardsman89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Kokomo
    Whatdid the guy look like? I think he tried to buy my riffle too. He was a shorterguy (maybe 5'6") and dressed a bit raggedly but didn’t look much more likea redneck than most guys at the show.

You could have made him transfer it with one of the FFLs at theshow and offered to split the difference on the transfer fee. I’m sure he wouldhave baulked though.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You did the right thing. I understand wanting to see a drivers license, but why ask for a LTCH, when you are selling a rifle? I'm guessing less than half the people there have a LTCH.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Good call on your part. Reps!

It should be a huge red flag if someone is afraid to show his/her driver's license on a firearm sale. Better to be safe, good job being able to return "wad-o-dough"!

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    You did the right thing. I understand wanting to see a drivers license, but why ask for a LTCH, when you are selling a rifle? I'm guessing less than half the people there have a LTCH.

LTCH is a good way to cover your butt by selling to a "proper person." How do you know that person isn't a felon? LTCH isn't fool-proof, but if it ever comes back to you because you sold to someone who you shouldn't have, you can say you did everything in your power to confirm they were a proper person.

jbrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Gas City, IN
    Whatdid the guy look like? I think he tried to buy my riffle too. He was a shorterguy (maybe 5'6") and dressed a bit raggedly but didn’t look much more likea redneck than most guys at the show.

You could have made him transfer it with one of the FFLs at theshow and offered to split the difference on the transfer fee. I’m sure he wouldhave baulked though.

He was prob around 6' dressed in blue jeans and a dark blue wool coat. He said he had absolutely no id on him

jbrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Gas City, IN
    LTCH is a good way to cover your butt by selling to a "proper person." How do you know that person isn't a felon? LTCH isn't fool-proof, but if it ever comes back to you because you sold to someone who you shouldn't have, you can say you did everything in your power to confirm they were a proper person.

This is the exact reason I asked for this. Sometimes I will accept id as long as I'm comfortable and they don't mind me writing down some of their info. But to be totally sure a LTCH is a sure way a background check was performed on that person

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Did you give him the opportunity to go to the vehicle with him to see his license? It's fun to hear people dig holes with lies.:D

Another possibility is he might be legal to own a gun but have recently had his license suspended or revoked.

Either way better safe than sorry. You did the right thing:yesway:

I had my license suspended a few years back and went to the 1500. Even though it was legal for me to own a firearm, I did not have a drivers license. I guess I just went to torture myself. Kinda like going to a strip club!:):

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN

I agree. Never understood rationale for LTCH on a rifle deal. I know it gives some a warm and fuzzy but it is not required nor necessary. If you're that afraid when selling then go the ffl route. If I am buying a rifle, it's none of your business if I have a LTCH......I may miss a few deals but don't think so.

Top Bottom