• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I agree, given my situation. I don't have a stance since I can't stand. I focus on safety, marksmanship, speed. I can move left and right, but not fast and it forces me to turn with my side facing the threat. I have found moving forward and back depending on the situation is the best course of action for myself.

For example: Threat front 7 yards. I pull backwards to gain distance, draw weapon, both hands on gun, drop shoulders slightly to make myself a smaller target and get comfortable shooting position, aim and press trigger.

Another example: Threat front 10 yards. I have concealment/cover in front. Get behind concealment/cover, draw weapon, grab push bar with one hand and lean out to side, aim and press trigger.

I have become a better shooter by finding what works for me and repeating it over and over. But like I said, this is what works for me. What might work for me may not work for others.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I agree.

For the most part it's better to keep the situation fluid and moving.

Unless you have a platoon of guys and have setup a perimeter and have established fields of fire. Then it's key to get a solid firing position and stick to your assignment.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    My (admittedly) limited training from others & my practice does not come near several others on this site, but esrice asked for thoughts & these are mine.

When a person is first starting to learn the qualities of marksmanship, how to punch holes in paper & punch them where they intend to punch them, I disagree with JY. A person should have some guidance around the different techniques so they can figure out what works best for them. Good analogy would be, how do you build a sturdy house without a solid foundation?

The first few courses a person takes should be set around the 4 Rules / Laws, and helping the person figure out what works for them to make holes where they intended. The more training a person takes, the less talking should be done & the more trigger time should be allowed to create the muscle memory for improving their range practice when they go back home.

Those are my thoughts & opinions...

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I agree, there's endless internet rants about stance or the "right" way to grip your gun because this professional shooter holds it that away etc. etc. I don't care, as long as you are comfortable (and not a hazard) and getting hits on target drive on.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We like the phrase "stance is a luxury." That means that when you have the option of a stable, weight biased forward stance and the time to assume it, it's better to use one. But usually you can't pick where you're going to stand, how you're going to stand, whether there is something in the way, if you're moving, or if you can stand at all. So you need to learn to shoot from the waist upward and let the bottom half of your body do what it needs to do make your platform as stable as it can be given the circumstances.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    boxers have a "stance" regular or south paw and they are taught to constantly move as well....however, i agree with him, just not sure if this was worth making a yeager rant video over

richieray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Kewanna
    I do agree with him that you can get some new shooters overly concerned with the minutest details with to much emphasis on "perfect" stance

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    As a firearms trainer for law enforcement officers one of my biggest problems are getting guys to stand how their own body needs to stand to shoot. Many of them get all wrapped up in having to stand this way or that. I think tne video is spot on.

LuckyOne

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Parke County, IN
    The bullet isn't going to hurt any less or cause any less damage because the shooter wasn't standing "correct". If you can put the red stuff on the bad stuff consistantly then keep doing what you are doing!

Top Bottom