• ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    No, not necessarily.

It's just one man's opinion. Guns are like hand tools or golf clubs, the subjective is objective, blah, blah, blah.

Good to hear from a variety of people.

Everyone knows... the best weapon... is the M14... Nothing else puts the Invasoids down... Sorry, channeling Jeff Cooper off his meds again.

While I might say that there is not a "do all" rifle, there most carbines and rifles are hindered by the user, rather than vice versa. Set it up for what you want/need and go to town.

I always pattern my carbine/rifle choice for my local environ: The Avonian plains are longer distance, but nothing a proper 16" 5.56 cannot handle.

My rifle sighted Winchester M70 in .270 works fine for longer stuff, if not all purpose for the 500 yard max engagement in this area (with some exceptions). Albeit, Jimmy Yag would probably not like it as a "tactical" gun, nor can it hold 30 rounds. But even in the Panic of '08, I could always get ammo, components about for the M70s, light pattern barrel that I had cryo treated that never heat strings, even in hundreds of rounds of 'rapid' fire at my friend's farm, it puts 2MOA with garbage Wolf Gold with rifle sights, I have fired it through 1K rounds without cleaning and throwing it in mud and it went bang everytime. .270 will do what I need it to, anything from punching autobodies and glass and brick to putting bonded Oryx softies into an elk. But, it's not tactical... :D

Go with what works for you, not what someone else 'sez... :yesway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I love the reference to the Avonion plains. I lived out there until 5 yrs, old. Sure has changed since then.

Agree with the statement. Go with what fits you. I still use a Remington 700 in 30-06 for distance. I just like it.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008

Far, far better.

The question is what are you trying to make? Trying to do?

Perhaps Yaeger is trying to make the perfect operator for SHTF.
    If so, then thunder ranch is trying to help some schmo alive with what they have.

I am a schmo. I am more likely to defend myself in my house from a burglar than defend the world against the zombie hoards. So, I think the help is better there.

Also, helping people with their own gear and helping them learn good use is more important than the brand wars that take up so much internet space. It has more purpose, more use, and more nobility.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I love the reference to the Avonion plains. I lived out there until 5 yrs, old. Sure has changed since then.

Agree with the statement. Go with what fits you. I still use a Remington 700 in 30-06 for distance. I just like it.

If the Missip floods up really bad, then it's the Avonian headlands. Property values gonna go up, next to the water. :D Might even flood out the wicked out of their nest up in Chi-town. :(

.30-06 was a choice when I was looking for a "waltzing Matilda" rifle, but too much oomph for me. I don't need to punch auto blocks and the follow up shots were 'meh' at best. A Garand was much softer, but WAY up there in price due to collectors (jerks... :D ). I figure if I have to go waltzing Matilda, .270 will do me good up to St. Louis (or what will remain of it at that point if things are bad), after there, the Plains, gonna need .30-06, 6.5x55 Swede or something with a darn good coefficient. Most of the around homefront stuff, my 16" 5.56 will do alright.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    I didn't make it far. I stopped not long after he said blitzkrieg meant lightning attack and not lightning war. The other two big ones I heard in the short time was the 1913 Springfield comment (actually 1903) and how can he say all shoulder fire rifles can be put into one of the three categories of battle rife, assault rife and SMG. Is he trying to say a sniper or long range precision rifle would be classified as a battle rifle, don't think so. What about light machine guns or a weapon such as the SAW.

XSVskill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    Are you guys really gonna jump all over him for little syntax errors?

He's obviously doing something right, his name/vids are all over this board.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Seems to be a lot of tipifying going on here.

:lmfao: My thoughts exactly!!!

This guy does have some useful info in his videos that provoke thought and I usually appreciate them, but GEEEEZZZZZ, let's not try to make something of ourselves that we're not, for the sake of making said-self look more intellectual by the over-use of a word that was used in the wrong context and tense numerous times....

Sheesh..... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Are you guys really gonna jump all over him for little syntax errors?

He's obviously doing something right, his name/vids are all over this board.

Yep, why not- afterall it's usually in jest and if a guy can't have fun on the interwebs, where can have fun then?? :):

As I've said before, he does give some good info online and that's why I watch him to seperate the wheat from the chaffe. I think it's just his online demeanor and his "camera presence" that makes him a target for being harmlessly picked on. :)

It's all good though, where I'm sure he gets a good laugh out of what's said and probably doesn't even care about a bunch of interwebs hacks anyway, otherwise he wouldn't keep posting new material. ;)

Top Bottom