• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    And Mutants and biker gangs, and religious doomsday cults, and the Russians and the Nuclear Sub Crews and and and.. I really liked those books.

Don't forget time travel by way of cryogenic suspension!

While I personally didn't have an issue with Mr. Rawles beliefs and content, I understand that some may.

I think the bigger issue is not so much his beliefs, but rather method of expressing them. At some point it stops being preparation education and entertainment from a guy with strongly held beliefs and becomes proselytizing. It's possible to express deeply held Christian faith without making your readers feel like a captive audience reading a sermon from an overly obvious preacher. More people would be able to enjoy the books and ultimately be exposed to the messages if the author were less heavy-handed. He would be better served by having his characters' actions be an expression of their faith rather than rely so much on clumsy exposition.

rhino out!

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I think the bigger issue is not so much his beliefs, but rather method of expressing them. At some point it stops being preparation education and entertainment from a guy with strongly held beliefs and becomes proselytizing. It's possible to express deeply held Christian faith without making your readers feel like a captive audience reading a sermon from an overly obvious preacher. More people would be able to enjoy the books and ultimately be exposed to the messages if the author were less heavy-handed. He would be better served by having his characters' actions be an expression of their faith rather than rely so much on clumsy exposition.

rhino out!

I agree. I don't have a problem with people and their faith. After 50 or more pages though, I felt like I was in a sermon. I understand that their's a tie-in with god and country and the founding fathers which would attract a certain demographic to his books. That's all I'll say.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I read a review of the 299 days series that expressed some disdain. The reviewer states that the series is actually the entire novel chopped up into chapters for monetary benefit and that if you were to pay for the entire series, you'd end up paying over $140 just to finish the story. "When's the last time you paid $140 for a paperback novel?" he finally said.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I'm semi-seriously considering writing my own novel to put out there about the kind of story I'm more interested in reading about. Not interested in zombie stories, nuclear armageddon, virus and disease. Maybe not even EMP based stories.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah, like when progressive politics pushes the economy past the breaking point, then "austerity measures" are implemented way too late to fix a problem that never should have existed. Then riots turn into something bigger and BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! Out go the lights.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If you want a good SHTF read that is totally non-zombie/nuclear/virus/disease, then try the online series "Union Creek Journal".

Chronological Journal Entries | The Union Creek Journal

I just blasted through the first four books of Molles' "Remaining". Pretty darn good series. I'll also highly recommend Lights Out and One Second After. Great books.

Now I need to find yet ANOTHER series to start!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Alas Babylon is an oldie, and a good read. Actual fiction instead of installments on A-Z. Even a movie I hear...

Falkin88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    I have to throw in another recommendation for lights out and one second after. I just started the 299 series but so far it's been pretty good. I read Alas Babylon back in middle school and it along with having grandparents who grew up in the Great Depression are what got me interested and started in prepping.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Went ahead and finished The Founders by Rawles. It was so-so. Moving on to the next book I can find in the library system. Not many of the suggestions are in the library yet unfortunately.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You might want to try the Bible....Alot of good survival tips in there regarding organic farming, battles with edged weapons, life lessons, an escape from slavery,and one whole chapter on TEOTWAWKI...(it's towards the end)...

One of the best survival tips is where this unemployed carpenter tells the guys he is hanging with (they are complaining about how they got nothing to eat) to "look at the birds....Are they worried? They are not because everything they need to survive was provided for them by the Father..."

Trust me...Anyplace we would be lost at on this continent had humans living there at one time or another and they managed to eek out a living with only what was available to them....

Lest you think I am being a Smart A$$ I want you to know that Christopher Hitchens (Atheist Author of "God is not great") said that the King James version of said book should be REQUIRED reading starting in the 7th grade so that by the time you became old enough to start reading Classic Literature you would understand where the themes being discussed came from....I am not kidding on the survival tips...They are really in there....

Good Luck to you and I hope you take me at face value when I say this is an honest response...If Christopher Hitchens can see the value in the text I imagine you could as well...It's kind of a best seller.........

And thank you for your service......:ingo:

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    You might want to try the Bible....Alot of good survival tips in there regarding organic farming, battles with edged weapons, life lessons, an escape from slavery,and one whole chapter on TEOTWAWKI...(it's towards the end)...

One of the best survival tips is where this unemployed carpenter tells the guys he is hanging with (they are complaining about how they got nothing to eat) to "look at the birds....Are they worried? They are not because everything they need to survive was provided for them by the Father..."

Trust me...Anyplace we would be lost at on this continent had humans living there at one time or another and they managed to eek out a living with only what was available to them....

Lest you think I am being a Smart A$$ I want you to know that Christopher Hitchens (Atheist Author of "God is not great") said that the King James version of said book should be REQUIRED reading starting in the 7th grade so that by the time you became old enough to start reading Classic Literature you would understand where the themes being discussed came from....I am not kidding on the survival tips...They are really in there....

Good Luck to you and I hope you take me at face value when I say this is an honest response...If Christopher Hitchens can see the value in the text I imagine you could as well...It's kind of a best seller.........

And thank you for your service......:ingo:

Thank you for your suggestion. I have in fact read Christopher Hitchens "God is not great: How religion poisons everything" and considered it a very interesting and noteworthy read. I grew up in a religious family with access to a bookshelf of books regarding many religions and ideologies. Such 'holy' books I am no stranger to nor their teachings. This thread wasn't created because I'm scared and looking for ways to survive some kind of catastrophe. I'm bored and looking for something else to read for entertainment. Fiction is fiction, but there are some works of fiction that just don't appeal to me.

And I appreciate your thanks.....:ingo:

Last edited:

100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    I have always read the Rawles books and love them. I can separate the religion form the part of the story I am reading it for.
    I Like the Books and his web site is full of good information. Just my 2 cents

Top Bottom