• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I put the under shirt between the gun and my skin.Mostly because I don't like the idea that,in the crucial moment,Murphy's Law can take effect and cause a snag of the shirt on the holster and not clear it in time.The comfort factor is also a secondary reason.To each his own though,if you practice with a tuckable holster and are proficient,go for it.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    For those of you who carry IWB with a tucked in undershirt... Do you tuck the shirt in under the holster (between the holster and your skin) or over the gun/holster to conceal it more?

I've been carrying with a shirt tucked in over my gun, for a couple reasons really. For starters, for better concealment. But also because my Galco IWB holster has the clips that accommodate a shirt being tucked in over the holster.

Well, reading the paper today and I see that someone was assaulted in my small town walking on a trail that I walk from time to time. This fellow was enjoying a nice walk and was attacked from behind, beaten and robbed. It left me thinking... if I needed to draw, how quickly could I with my shirt tucked in over my holster? Probably not as quickly as I'd like as I'd have to yank my shirt up first then go for the gun. Doesn't seem ideal.

:rolleyes:.......watch.......an' learn..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiqwF_Y9S5Q

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    My only concern right now, and it's lessening as time goes on, is keeping the gun concealed. When I first got my permit it was cold, so wearing a heavy winter coat that is longer wasn't bad. Today was almost 70... so I just had on a button up long sleeve shirt. But if I put my hands in the air, you'd see my waist line and ultimately part of my gun. Because of this I kept my undershirt tucked over the holster. I guess it doesn't really mater if it shows, not like I can get in trouble for printing or accidentally showing it when going for my wallet or putting change in my pocket, or grabbing an item from the top shelf in a store... but y'know... New LTCH jitters I guess? Haha.

I had those same concerns when I started carrying. That reality is most people are TOTALLY oblivious to what's going on around them. Unless they are staring directly at you when your shirt goes up....they'll never see it. I carry a 380 IWB fairly often with just a tee shirt or golf shirt over it at 3 o'clock. It's certainly not any bigger than a cell phone clipped to your belt.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Undershirt between skin/holster:

IMG_0451_zps17420030.jpg

Top shirt over both:

IMG_0458_zpseb5413e8.jpg

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Haha. Nice looking carry piece JetGirl. What holster is that?

My turn... :)

h9RWlkr.jpg

Gut left unchecked. Woops.

hYSXUXY.jpg

I think I need a better belt.

Past couple days I've been carrying with my shirt between my skin and holster as opposed to over the holster. Weather has been warmer too, so I'll just let a t-shirt hang over everything or a light jacket. Walked to the store earlier with a button up covering it all, no issues.

Last edited:

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Everybody carries a little bit differently.

The real answer? Find what's best for you and then practice it over and over and over and over again.

In the car with your seat belt on. Standing up. Sitting in a chair. Whatever. You can never be too prepared.

For me? I just carry OWB and flip my shirt over it. If I'm in an attire that means tucking my shirt in... Everyone gets to eye ball my Wilsonfield 1911. ;)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    :rolleyes:.......watch.......an' learn..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiqwF_Y9S5Q

That was a pretty good movie.:)

I tuck the shirt over the gun and holster. The holster clips are still visible on my belt if anyone cared to look. I haven't been called out that I know of yet. I also tuck button down shirts the same way and it seems to work just fine.

I think this fits in with this thread, so I will ask here; Is IWB carrying comfortable? It looks to me like it would be totally uncomfortable. Does body type/waist line have an effect on whether it is comfortable or not? I have a 32" pant size and I don't carry any extra weight around my middle and looking at pictures of people with IWB set ups makes me think it would be very uncomfortable to stick a pistol inside the belt line.

I don't currently carry often but when I do it is OWB. Even that is not the most comfortable but I think that is from lack of carrying more to get used to it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Carrying IWB is EXTREMELY comfortable with the right holster and belt.

IME, people who say IWB carry is not comfortable, had never tried it with a quality IWB holster and gun belt.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I don't think it's 'uncomfortable' so much as I just... notice it's there. Then again I've got a S&W 4566 so it's not the smallest/lightest gun either. The Galco Holster I've got was designed for a Sig, but I may mix it up and try a different holster, the one JetGirl showed looks decent. Just don't want to spend a bunch trying different holsters :P

I've got a 5.11 woven belt, but I'm thinking a nice thick leather gun belt would be better. The 5.11 gets tight and stays tight... but something about it being fabric makes me question it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Carrying IWB is EXTREMELY comfortable with the right holster and belt.

IME, people who say IWB carry is not comfortable, had never tried it with a quality IWB holster and gun belt.

Yeah, that^.

I guess I'm from Missouri on that. I can't imagine having a holster and a hunk of steel shoved between my pants and my bony body. But, hey I'll give it a try sometime when I can.

I have a good gun belt. So, who makes quality IWB holsters? And where can I try some on for size?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You really won't know until you try it.

I don't wear larger jeans. It works great for me. I found that wearing larger jeans makes it more uncomfortable. But, that's just me.

Top Bottom