• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    For those of you who carry IWB with a tucked in undershirt... Do you tuck the shirt in under the holster (between the holster and your skin) or over the gun/holster to conceal it more?

I've been carrying with a shirt tucked in over my gun, for a couple reasons really. For starters, for better concealment. But also because my Galco IWB holster has the clips that accommodate a shirt being tucked in over the holster.

Well, reading the paper today and I see that someone was assaulted in my small town walking on a trail that I walk from time to time. This fellow was enjoying a nice walk and was attacked from behind, beaten and robbed. It left me thinking... if I needed to draw, how quickly could I with my shirt tucked in over my holster? Probably not as quickly as I'd like as I'd have to yank my shirt up first then go for the gun. Doesn't seem ideal.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    My only concern right now, and it's lessening as time goes on, is keeping the gun concealed. When I first got my permit it was cold, so wearing a heavy winter coat that is longer wasn't bad. Today was almost 70... so I just had on a button up long sleeve shirt. But if I put my hands in the air, you'd see my waist line and ultimately part of my gun. Because of this I kept my undershirt tucked over the holster. I guess it doesn't really mater if it shows, not like I can get in trouble for printing or accidentally showing it when going for my wallet or putting change in my pocket, or grabbing an item from the top shelf in a store... but y'know... New LTCH jitters I guess? Haha.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    The only time I can see putting my hands up in the air, it would mean that somebody already knew I had the gun.
    Now that you carry, you should select clothing that accommodates how you carry.
    It took me over a year to be confident and (relatively) worry free about carrying a sidearm. Now it is a much a part of my daily routine as making sure I have my wallet and cell-phone before I leave the house.

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    I have been carrying four months with the same holster and a Blackhawk OWB. With the Galco I tuck my t-shirt in, between my skin and holster, cover the gun with my outer shirt or light jacket, same with the OWB holster. If I print or the gun gets a peek so be it, I doubt anyone ever notices anything.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My only concern right now, and it's lessening as time goes on, is keeping the gun concealed. When I first got my permit it was cold, so wearing a heavy winter coat that is longer wasn't bad. Today was almost 70... so I just had on a button up long sleeve shirt. But if I put my hands in the air, you'd see my waist line and ultimately part of my gun. Because of this I kept my undershirt tucked over the holster. I guess it doesn't really mater if it shows, not like I can get in trouble for printing or accidentally showing it when going for my wallet or putting change in my pocket, or grabbing an item from the top shelf in a store... but y'know... New LTCH jitters I guess? Haha.

The only time I can see putting my hands up in the air, it would mean that somebody already knew I had the gun.
    It took me over a year to be confident and (relatively) worry free about carrying a sidearm. Now it is a much a part of my daily routine as making sure I have my wallet and cell-phone before I leave the house.
    WALLET?!

I tuck my undershirt between me and the gun/holster.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

I started EDC during cool weather as well. I'm in and out a lot for my job so I wear a tee-shirt tucked in between my skin and holster. I had to purchase longer than normal shirts to wear over my Khaki dress pants for summer wear. Tee-shirt tucked with sweater and light under amour jacket for colder weather. I had to purchase clothing that was CC friendly.

I practice the hitch hike thumb up method to lift my outer clothing to gain access and unholster my weapon. If I'm sitting in a booth at a restaurant I try to sit with my right side to the wall. That way I can put my outer clothing between the grip and my side to assist in fast access to my weapon. I felt a sense of danger in a restaurant that turned out to be a false alarm a couple times.

I know that OC makes things easier but not having a job makes paying the bills and buying more guns extremely hard.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I'm another one that tucks the t-shirt between my body and the gun. But you can always throw another t-shirt over the top of that and let it drape over the gun. Even in the summer, two t-shirts usually won't be too uncomfortably hot, and during the winter everyone is layering so it doesn't draw a second glance. Although I'll admit I've deconstructed a couple t shirts down to just the bare minimum of material that will stay between me and the gun and kept them for use on very hot days.

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    I frequently do not wear an undershirt when carrying IWB, but it is more comfortable when I do wear an undershirt between the gun / holster and my skin. For what it is worth, when I decided that I wanted to try an undershirt to increase comfort, I bought v neck undershirts that are at least a full size too small. Although this would make me look absurd (if the undershirt were seen), as my undershirt is obviously way too tight, it works well under my gun / holster, as there is no excess material to bunch up and cause discomfort.

Old_grunt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Bloomington
    I have a IWB holster from Old Faithful that I use when I carry and usually wear a loose T, when I do. I use my thumb to lift the shirt and draw my G20. Positioning the holster is important for this, though, so I'd recommend practicing the move with your pistol sans ammo.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm another one that tucks the t-shirt between my body and the gun. But you can always throw another t-shirt over the top of that and let it drape over the gun. Even in the summer, two t-shirts usually won't be too uncomfortably hot, and during the winter everyone is layering so it doesn't draw a second glance. Although I'll admit I've deconstructed a couple t shirts down to just the bare minimum of material that will stay between me and the gun and kept them for use on very hot days.

On a related note, If I want to be discrete I wear a colored tee tucked in between my IWB and me, then throw on a short sleeve casual shirt to drape over it. I look for ones that are designed to be untucked meaning they have a straight hem at the bottom, not the ones that are cut higher on the sides.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Doesn't matter which method you use. Practice with both. 5 minutes a day for two weeks really helps.

Then when you get to the range, you can use what you have practiced but with live fire shooting.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    WALLET?!

I tuck my undershirt between me and the gun/holster.

Nice, I see what you did there.
    I figured since he was referring to multiple issues relating back to him being apprehensive about having a firearm, I would relate it to how and how long it took me to get comfortable with it and the issues I addressed to help conceal better.
    Or, maybe I am misunderstanding what you are referring to?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I tuck the shirt over the gun and holster. The holster clips are still visible on my belt if anyone cared to look. I haven't been called out that I know of yet. I also tuck button down shirts the same way and it seems to work just fine.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It left me thinking... if I needed to draw, how quickly could I with my shirt tucked in over my holster? Probably not as quickly as I'd like as I'd have to yank my shirt up first then go for the gun. Doesn't seem ideal.

It's good that you're thinking about such things, but wouldn't it be a better idea to actually know what it's like to draw your gun from that configuration before you start carrying that way? Might be a good idea to practice a few times with your unloaded gun or an inert replica before you actually hit the streets. When someone attacks you, it's a little too late to find out you can't access your weapon.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    rhino beat me to it. This is a training issue. The best cure for the "jitters" is training and proficiency. Owning and carrying the gun is only the first step on a long journey.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    As to how I dress... t-shirt between me and the holster. Dress shirt, polo, sweater, etc... over the top. My concealment holster is tuckable (supertuck) for use with a dress shirt. I almost ALWAYS wear 2 shirts, even in the summer, unless it is scorching hot (and I'm going super-casual).

I don't particularly like being tucked over my holster, either. It is simply slower, and requires more movement. Practice will certainly help with both the speed and comfort. Don't forget to practice both two-handed (off-hand sweeping away the cover garment) and one-handed (move cover and draw with strong hand). You may very well be using your off-hand for something else (like holding off the attacker).

And don't worry overly about concealing. You'd have to club most folks in the noggin before they would notice.

Top Bottom