• ...and so much more!
  • bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    Need your experienced help. I have used a Blackhawk Serpa OWB the past couple of years. I just bought my first IWB holster last week. It's a Kholster. It's not very "pretty", but comfort, retention, and concealment of my M&P 40 is excellent. The butt of the grip prints if I move just right. Doubt anyone would ever notice.

My question concerns my ability to grip the pistol during the draw. The holster holds extremely close to my body. I'm 5' 11" and 250 lbs. Not exactly small. There is virtually zero space between the leather backing of the holster and the grip of my M&P. From what I gather from reviews of the Kholster, it is meant to be easily customized by trimming the excess leather backing. Basically you can make it look similar to a Crossbreed or an M-TAC. People generally speak of removing the leather from behind the grip to be able to get their fingers fully around the grip. In my case, even if I were to remove the leather backing, the pistol sits so close to me, I doubt it would make any difference. No difference except for excruciating pain as I rip off a layer or two of skin digging under the grip! :D Printing increases dramatically if I move the pistol farther back to "free" the grip.

The way it is currently, I can draw easily using firm pressure on the front of the grip with my fingers and my thumb on the slide guard. The pistol slides into a full grip as it comes up and out. Is this common or am I in for trouble? Last thing I want to do is be in an dangerous situation and my pistol fly from my hand as I try to draw quickly without the full 360° contact on the intial grip. :D

Your insight and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tried to take some pics but my point and shoot camera is toast. It was really difficult to use my DSLR for this. Best I can do for now.

P8032628.jpg

P8032629.jpg

Looking at a downward angle. No space between grip and backing. I lays over my hip and into the curve below my rib cage.

Last edited:

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Practice make permanent. Work at it and you will find a good draw. If not then sell it.

Many of us have gone the try and then sell approach.

Buckaroo

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    And some of us still have all those holsters in a box or drawer...LOL

Practice until it is second nature to you. You will wear your gun, but it is worth it.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I had this holster also with my Sigma 9mm. I wore mine at the 4:30 or 5 oclock position and it was very comfortable and did not print much. I tried where u had it and it was not comfy to sit down for very long. So you might want to try and move it back a little bit and see how it feels. As far as draw, just practice and after you practice you think you need to trim some, then trim.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    If you're not already, try and lean your torso slightly forward and opposite of the pistol (if the pistol sits at 4:00, then lean 10:00 slightly) to make some room between pistol and body.

Top Bottom