• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Once again, thank you everyone for the input! Indy Guy, thanks especially for the offer to see the Henry Holster, I'm very intrigued by those, and his website is, uh, spartan to say the least. If I head up that way I might just take you up on that!

So, after spending some time tracking down all your suggestions, I've got an even longer list of holsters.... but I seem to be hearing that the Hybrid, as typified by Crossbreed/aliengear/MTAC is most people's preference. I am still not quite sure my original issue is fully addressed, so let me rephrase it. If I were to buy a comp-tac holster (seems to be the agreed on Cadillac of holsters), why should I choose an MTAC, vs CTAC, vs Infidel (assuming that price is no object). Or, I could buy a Don Hume all leather, which is similar to the infidel. Any thoughts on that?

Also, I have a specific question for Chezuki, or any other MTAC Advocates. I've seen the side by side pictures, and I 100% agree that the MTAC appears to be the nicest built by far. Excellent craftsmanship, the leather on the back, very fitted cut to the leather, etc. It is obviously the best looking, and looks quite sturdy to boot. If it's between that and a cross breed, it seems certainly worth the extra $15. However, I don't actually care too much about the looks. What I really want is
    1) Concealability
    2) Ease of Access
    3) Comfort
    4) Durability
    5) Easy on the weapon (minimize scrapes, sweat, etc)

If I compare an MTAC with, say an Alien gear, (at 1/3 the price), they both have the exchangable shells, so that's no advantage. Comp-Tac clearly has the edge in customer service. Where am I going to see a difference in any of the above 5 points? Just curious. I'm not against spending the $80-90 for a MTAC or CTAC, I just don't want to do it just for a holster that just looks nicer, if I can get the same performance for a fraction of the cost.

Thanks again!

I own both the AG and MTAC. Here's my two cents (or more, depending on the exchange rates):

The AG has no backing protecting your skin from hardware if you don't wear an undershirt between it and the holster. The MTAC does.

The AG clips are in no way any kind of real competition with the MTAC offerings.

The raw bulk of the AG takes up MUCH more waist estate (I've coined my own phrase for it, yay!) than the MTAC. For me, HUGE deal.

The AG doesn't have anywhere near the adjustability for cant and ride depth that the MTAC has.

The AG and MTAC both use similar thickness kydex, but the MTAC shells are far more "boned" to the gun than the AG.

No matter what hardware I've used with the AG (comes with many thicknesses of spacers and length of screws), I've never had as positive retention of the gun with the AG as with the MTAC. I've always had to break out the heat gun with the AG shells to get it right - not so with the MTAC.

I'm probably missing something else here...

Oh, wait.

CHEZUKI SEZ BUY MTAC!!!

:rockwoot:

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    Once again, thank you everyone for the input! Indy Guy, thanks especially for the offer to see the Henry Holster, I'm very intrigued by those, and his website is, uh, spartan to say the least. If I head up that way I might just take you up on that!

So, after spending some time tracking down all your suggestions, I've got an even longer list of holsters.... but I seem to be hearing that the Hybrid, as typified by Crossbreed/aliengear/MTAC is most people's preference. I am still not quite sure my original issue is fully addressed, so let me rephrase it. If I were to buy a comp-tac holster (seems to be the agreed on Cadillac of holsters), why should I choose an MTAC, vs CTAC, vs Infidel (assuming that price is no object). Or, I could buy a Don Hume all leather, which is similar to the infidel. Any thoughts on that?

Also, I have a specific question for Chezuki, or any other MTAC Advocates. I've seen the side by side pictures, and I 100% agree that the MTAC appears to be the nicest built by far. Excellent craftsmanship, the leather on the back, very fitted cut to the leather, etc. It is obviously the best looking, and looks quite sturdy to boot. If it's between that and a cross breed, it seems certainly worth the extra $15. However, I don't actually care too much about the looks. What I really want is
    1) Concealability
    2) Ease of Access
    3) Comfort
    4) Durability
    5) Easy on the weapon (minimize scrapes, sweat, etc)

If I compare an MTAC with, say an Alien gear, (at 1/3 the price), they both have the exchangable shells, so that's no advantage. Comp-Tac clearly has the edge in customer service. Where am I going to see a difference in any of the above 5 points? Just curious. I'm not against spending the $80-90 for a MTAC or CTAC, I just don't want to do it just for a holster that just looks nicer, if I can get the same performance for a fraction of the cost.

Thanks again!

Ok, I'll play...I carry a Glock 22 in a MTAC at around the 3:30-4:00 position everyday. FWIW, I'm 6'-5" and about 220 lbs...

1) Concealability - With a loose fitting shirt, it disappears...most people have no clue that i am carrying. That being said, if i wear a more fitted shirt I do have problems with the grip printing slightly...but that's more of an issue with the size of the firearm I'm carrying and not the holster.

2) Ease of Access - Excellent...I am able to get a full grip on my firearm before it leaves the holster. One drawback is my thumb has to slide between the holster and my side and wrap around the grip on the draw. Not really a problem for me though, its become very natural with practice.

3) Comfort - With a good belt, you will wear it all day and never notice. I actually feel more uncomfortable when i don't have the holster on (physical comfort that is)

4) Durability - I bought mine used so im not 100% sure how old it is and how much use it saw previously. The leather is broken in and it is well used but it is only cosmetic and it functions like new still

5) Easy on the weapon (minimize scrapes, sweat, etc) - Not a mark on mine...the only issue ive seen in wear on my slide is at the muzzle end, but that is because my firearm actually protrudes slightly past the shell (holster is for G19/23, so my gun is a tad longer) and rubs on the inside of my pants.

Higginbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Columbus
    Well, after much consideration, I think I'll be trying the MTAC. I especially appreciate Wesnellans' write up. That's the sort of thing I was looking for. I'll let everyone know how I like the MTAC once I get it.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Well, after much consideration, I think I'll be trying the MTAC. I especially appreciate Wesnellans' write up. That's the sort of thing I was looking for. I'll let everyone know how I like the MTAC once I get it.

One of us! One of us!

What color is "read in a creepy voice" supposed to be?

Seriously, you're welcome.

Higginbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Columbus
    Wait till I start signing the praises of the MTAC above all others before you count me as "one of us" ;) Buying one doesn't necessarily make me a fanboy...lol.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom