• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    For about a year now, I have really been thinking about buying a motorcycle. Things got serious a couple of weeks ago when I went in the Harley shop in Bloomington to kick some tires. First off, the sales guy I dealt with was awesome. I told him this would be my first bike, what my price range was and that pre-owned was probably the way I was leaning. With that information, he had me sitting on all different kinds of bikes, both old and new, to see which one I felt most comfortable on. After that visit, plus a little more research the following week, I have my choice narrowed down to something from Harley's Softail line. I'm having trouble narrowing it down any further because my preferences seem to change every couple of days. First I like the Heritage Classic, then it's the Softail Deluxe, then it's the Fatboy. I think this coming week I'll head back to the dealer and check out these models again to see if I can't nail it down completely. For now though, I'll just have to tide myself over on the Harley Forum and old motorcycle threads on INGO.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    :yesway:......
    Bloomington's dang good shop!........:rockwoot:

Louisville HD, an' Bluegrass HD.....closer fer me, but do run up ta Bloomington several times.....when up Brown Co, Nashville area.....:yesway:
    Softail's damn good ride....any of'em....:yesway:

'Course......i'm kind'a.....predj'diced.......:):

Good luck on you choice.....:yesway:

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Good luck with your hunt. Take a little time to investigate both the good and bad aspects of each model and try to decide which compromise works best for you. My friend bought a new Fat Boy back in '02 and talk about your gorgeous bikes! The sales brochures don't seem to mention the effect wind has on that solid front wheel, though. In a full-value crosswind, I was all over the road on that thing. Got mighty tiresome after a few miles.

In stark contrast to Harleyrider's bike, here's my ragged-out '79 Shovelhead. It won't start this year so instead of riding it, I'm gonna begin tearing the transmission out of it later today to fix yet another oil leak (output shaft seal. 4 speeds are notorious for this seal going bad). When that's finished, THEN I'll get down to diagnosing why it's forgotten how to start over the winter.

:lmfao:

Side2_zps253572ec.jpg

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    This is why I love INGO. I get to see pictures of beautiful bikes like HarleyRider's and I also get useful information I haven't thought of like the Fatboy's solid wheel.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    I think you should really look into the touring lineup because softails usually command the same price or close when used.. I suggest an 07+ bike so u get hydraulic chain tensioners and 6 speed trans..

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    :yesway:......
    Bloomington's dang good shop!........:rockwoot:

Louisville HD, an' Bluegrass HD.....closer fer me, but do run up ta Bloomington several times.....when up Brown Co, Nashville area.....:yesway:
    Softail's damn good ride....any of'em....:yesway:

'Course......i'm kind'a.....predj'diced.......:):

Good luck on you choice.....:yesway:

Is that a soft tail? What year is it?

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    To the OP: Consider the smaller lightweight softails if it is your first bike, the baggers (touring models) are bigger and heavier and take some getting used to, I would not recommend them for a new rider. The heritage softail is a GREAT ride, I seriously considered buying one before I got the bagger in my avatar.

As to everyone else: INGO ride, and/or meet and eat with a motorcycle show-n-tell needs to happen!!

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Saturday was beautiful down here in Louisville. Warm temps for a change on not a cloud in the sky. I spent most of the day getting the transmission out of my Shovelhead with the intention of replacing the output shaft seals, which leak oil as if there's no seals or gaskets of any kind present. By five o'clock I was convinced that every single part on the bike was either attached to or in the way of the transmission. Anyway, the trans is now in the basement awaiting surgery. Feels like the output shaft bearing may be shot, so I'll need to tear the whole trans apart to figure out what parts are needed to get it roadworthy.

For those of you actually doing it, how's the riding? :dunno:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    To the OP: Consider the smaller lightweight softails if it is your first bike, the baggers (touring models) are bigger and heavier and take some getting used to, I would not recommend them for a new rider. The heritage softail is a GREAT ride, I seriously considered buying one before I got the bagger in my avatar.

As to everyone else: INGO ride, and/or meet and eat with a motorcycle show-n-tell needs to happen!!

I appreciate your input. The sales guy at the dealership recommended the same thing as well. He also said that if I wound up buying a bike from him, he would throw in Harley's new rider course for free, which normally costs around $300.

I don't know if it's this way for everyone, but I'm enjoying the shopping process. I think it's a blast to talk motorcycles here and in person plus kick a few tires along the way.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Thought about it today, but the roads are still a little icy up here in the great white north. Maybe next week!!
    Dry roads, sunny sky's here, yesterday...:yesway:.....have had some decent day's....but jus' ain't had the time.....had 1/2 tank last yrs fuel had ta run out,so...rode up 31 ta Seymour, then back down 31,out Hwy 3 ta Charlestown, fresh tank premium in now....:yesway:

Saturday was beautiful down here in Louisville. Warm temps for a change on not a cloud in the sky. I spent most of the day getting the transmission out of my Shovelhead with the intention of replacing the output shaft seals, which leak oil as if there's no seals or gaskets of any kind present. By five o'clock I was convinced that every single part on the bike was either attached to or in the way of the transmission. Anyway, the trans is now in the basement awaiting surgery. Feels like the output shaft bearing may be shot, so I'll need to tear the whole trans apart to figure out what parts are needed to get it roadworthy.

For those of you actually doing it, how's the riding? :dunno:

:yesway:......Were'nt out long,but.......not too bad.....in'a 60's, an' sunny.....

I appreciate your input. The sales guy at the dealership recommended the same thing as well. He also said that if I wound up buying a bike from him, he would throw in Harley's new rider course for free, which normally costs around $300.

I don't know if it's this way for everyone, but I'm enjoying the shopping process. I think it's a blast to talk motorcycles here and in person plus kick a few tires along the way.

:yesway:.......Well at's 1/2 the fun.......good luck on you choice !.....:rockwoot:

Top Bottom