• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Well while outside playing with my daughter last evening, the three of Them ventured out and two of them stayed close to their hole and were eating the cat food the third made it's way to the other side of the porch ( prob 50 ft.) and I we were outside shooting little green army men with my gammo pellet rifle so I had rifle in hand and eliminated one of the three. The other two got back under house before I could get over there. I think I will set a trap over there with more cat food in it and try to get rid of them that way.

Almost feel bad for shooting the cute little suckers, their barely bigger then my hand, but they are still skunks and they are still nasty. If I get them in the trap, I will just take them down to the creek and drown them. I read online doing research that it is actually illegal to relocate and release them because of the potential spread of rabies and other things that they carry. Can anyone confirm or state otherwise?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    we hung traps with bait so they had to jump a little,then the jaws would snap their necks . really worked good .

I like that idea. Now that's one I never heard or saw and sounds like it will work.

What kind of traps? I bet standard rat traps would be just dandy for BABY size skunks. I'd still try to put the trap as far from the house as I've seen them go or put it inside a box or something to confine any spray.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I just had a similar problem. There was only one way in or out and I filled in the hole and placed some stones over the area. Nothing dug its way out.

Around here they walk down the sidewalks with picnic baskets, I can't shoot them and the Foxes are usually on point.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I read online doing research that it is actually illegal to relocate and release them because of the potential spread of rabies and other things that they carry. Can anyone confirm or state otherwise?

I don't know specifically about skunks. But it is legal (generally) to trap and release inside the same county. You can't transport across county lines.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I don't know specifically about skunks. But it is legal (generally) to trap and release inside the same county. You can't transport across county lines.

In Indiana, I believe skunks are actually on the list of "furbearers" so trapping or shooting outside of the trapping season without a permit would be considered poaching. That is the legal situation. I think most CO's would understand your situation and wouldn't have a problem with your trapping or extermination plans, but if you want to be totally legal, you need to contact them for permit/approval. I don't know about the relocation rules, though.

However, I think most folks use the "3 S's" program for such pests as skunks, muskrats, and opossums (other bothersome furbearers): Shoot, shovel, and shut-up.
    ---
    GB!

Last edited:

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    Boric acid on the ground at the entrance it burns there feet and then they lick it off and then they "go Away". Its cheap at ant farm store.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    In Indiana, I believe skunks are actually on the list of "furbearers" so trapping or shooting outside of the trapping season without a permit would be considered poaching. That is the legal situation. I think most CO's would understand your situation and wouldn't have a problem with your trapping or extermination plans, but if you want to be totally legal, you need to contact them for permit/approval. I don't know about the relocation rules, though.

However, I think most folks use the "3 S's" program for such pests as skunks, muskrats, and opossums (other bothersome furbearers): Shoot, shovel, and shut-up.
    ---
    GB!
    A landon owner may kill a skunk out of season if it is a nuisance critter..
    being under the house counts..

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Speaking of critter problems, I'm on my way home from work and my neighbor from down the street asks if I at home. I politely tell him I'm driving home and then he kind of discreetly asks if I have a 22 rifle. I do and he proceeds to tell me that he has raccoon problems. Having just evicted a sow coon and her two babies, I'm thinking I just gave him the problem I had two weeks ago. At any rate, he has his own raccoon problems with an empty apartment building and a big overflowing dumpster as a food source. His dog had apparently killed one earlier in the day and had one tree'd. One shot later, a little muffled cry and another destructive animal taken care of. We had to be a little secretive as we are right in town and there were people out everywhere. Kinda felt bad later but I understand dealing with them as mine were in the attic for at least a month! If I coulda got them that way I would have!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom