• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    ... that make me REALLY enjoy being in the gun biz.

Last week, a lady called wanting to know pricing, availability and options on an Auto-Ordnance Thompson .45 rifle (i.e. a "Tommygun"), as she wanted to get one as a birthday gift for her husband. I obliged her by checking a few different distributors to see what was in stock, and giving her the corresponding model information and prices. She said she would have to confer with a couple other folks to see exactly which model she should get for him (the gift was to be a surprise), and wanted to check pricing at other shops as well. I told her if she decided to go with us, she'd need to come in and put down a 10% deposit so we could order the gun.

A couple days ago, she popped in and plunked down a deposit on a 1927A1 Deluxe with 30rd box mag and 50rd drum. It showed up today, so I called her this morning and left a message that she could come and pick it up.

About half an hour before close, she comes in. Says today is her husband's actual birthday day, and he is in the car; she has brought him down all the way from Atlanta IN where they live, without telling him where they were going or why. She pays the balance on the gun, then goes outside to get him. I greet him, tell him "happy birthday," and open the case to show him his new gun. He is... surprised, to say the least. He checks the gun out, does the paperwork, passes the background check, and the two walk out, happy as clams.

They were a nice couple (she is what we in the industry call "a keeper"), it was a neat sale, and I was happy to be a part of it.

Sales like this make up for a multitude of "how many time do it shoot" type questions and some of the other dumb stuff we have to put up with on a daily basis.

I love my job. :)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I have the T1B50, did his have the detachable stock?

No, it was the regular 1927A1 model, T150D.

And here's a bit of weirdness; the day after I ordered the gun for this gal, another customer came in wanting to talk Tommyguns, and I ended up ordering the same make and model for him. :)

Did that with a SCAR-17S this week, too. :D

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Stories like that are exactly why I want to get into that line of work! Thanks for sharing that, it was awesome! She definitely sounds like a keeper to me. :D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The moments of weirdness from my days slinging guns across the glass are more than offset by the happy times.

Guy getting off some hard, physical job coming up half-exhausted and I carried every single T/C rifle we had so he could pick his choice of wood. He left smiling, and thanked me several times. I couldn't stop smiling even as the store manager yelled at me for covering the sales floor by the bows so he could view them all.

As one former gun slinger, I know exactly what you mean, shooter.:D;)

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    7470109172_6ae7000679.jpg

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Very awesome story, and always nice when someone does the perfect thing like that. Even better that she was smart enough to research and do a little digging, AND get him the firearm. What a keeper.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Makes me feel like it is Christmas Time. However, Birthdays are great too.

A great feel good story to keep for those days that sales are not so good.

Thank you for sharing.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    Kool story Shooter....how is it you guys dont keep one on hand?
    While stationed in Columbia we came across rebels (FARC) and the like carrying some interesting stuff. One of the locals we worked with carried an old (beat to an unholy hellish shape) 1927 thompson. thing was ancient....had seen its day decades before this guy got it, and it still worked. Good old american production. good luck getting that kind of production today in an affordable package.

Top Bottom