It's official - IN-SOS reports just 21% voter turnout in the May 2010 primary.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did you vote in the 2010 May Primary?

• Total voters

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    So you are saying that in that 21% there were Democrats who helped swing the Republican race to Coats? Seriously? Also, wouldn't it be a non-issue if the Republicans got off their can and voted even if it was true?

WTF?

This year, I'm just going to be voting 3rd party where available & non-incumbent where it's not...Including whoever is running against Dan Coats.

All I was saying here is what my November strategy will be. In the senatorial race, I can't vote "non-incumbent" since Bayh is leaving, so I stated that whoever runs against Coats in November will get my vote. I said nothing about Democrats voting in the Republican Primary...I just slightly alluded to some fringe groups advocating such tactics...in both major parties.

D 'n' R: Two heads of the same trick coin.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    WTF?

All I was saying here is what my November strategy will be. In the senatorial race, I can't vote "non-incumbent" since Bayh is leaving, so I stated that whoever runs against Coats in November will get my vote. I said nothing about Democrats voting in the Republican Primary...I just slightly alluded to some fringe groups advocating such tactics...in both major parties.

D 'n' R: Two heads of the same trick coin.

My bad...I took it as you were trying to spread the crazy talk that some on here are about how the dems were voting in the Republican primary to screw up the vote. Some here believe strongly that is what happened rather than admit the GOP did what everybody else does and backs the name recognition of the old party money.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I had to check no in this poll. I am stuck in Afghan though, with a Command that did not fulfill their obligations...

So what is the excuse for the rest who voted no?!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It's just a shame that (statewide, anyway), almost 8 out of 10 of us that "could" have voted, apparently didn't care enough to get their butts down to the polls to do so.

IF and WHEN the repub party ever gives a flying f about me, I will give a flying f about them and show up to vote in their primary. The repubs don't want me, they want illegal, welfare queen, big government votes.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    No, I wanted to intentionally keep it non-partisan. I wasn't trying to make it a "who-is-the-true-conservative-party" type thread or "who-did-what-to-who" type thread.

It was an expression and extension of my disappointment and frustration over the abysmally low turnout for such an important primary, even notwithstanding the fact that this is a "non-presidential" election year. As much of the buzz surrounding a conservative groundswell as there seemed to be (naively visualized in my mind as "waves" of conservatives flocking to their polling places in historically unprecedented numbers), I was hoping to see that reflected in the turnout. There was not, and thus my disappointment.

Regardless of ideology or party affiliation - Liberal, Conservative, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Independent or any other label, I doubt that too many people would argue that non-participation in any election is an effective means of expressing our political desires and demands. It's just a shame that (statewide, anyway), almost 8 out of 10 of us that "could" have voted, apparently didn't care enough to get their butts down to the polls to do so. Regardless of the political climate, I think such a low turnout is pathetic, and as another poster said, downright "embarrassing."

Subsequently, I was interested to see how many of us here on INGO were vested enough in the goings-on of our country and culture to outshine the statewide turnout. So far, it's running about 85% in favor of those who voted (in some fashion), although admittedly, a self-selective survey and certainly not statistically valid.

Unless I'm woefully wrong here...this "election" you speak of was merely the Republicrat/Demolican Primary. If you're not a member of either party, it was just an average, boring day. The election is the first Tuesday in November.

So what is the excuse for the rest who voted no?!

As I've stated, I'm neither a Republicrat nor a Demolican.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    In the senatorial race, I can't vote "non-incumbent" since Bayh is leaving, so I stated that whoever runs against Coats in November will get my vote..
    I believe your options are Ellsworth (D) or Sink-Burris (L).

No, I wanted to intentionally keep it non-partisan.

Regardless of ideology or party affiliation - Liberal, Conservative, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Independent or any other label, I doubt that too many people would argue that non-participation in any election is an effective means of expressing our political desires and demands.

Unless I'm woefully wrong here...this "election" you speak of was merely the Republicrat/Demolican Primary. If you're not a member of either party, it was just an average, boring day. The election is the first Tuesday in November.

You can't keep a primary election non-partisan, unless you're referring to school board and referendum elections. The primaries are solely intra-party business: those elections are for members of the Republican and Democrat parties to select which of their members will represent them in the November election. If you're not a Republican nor Democrat, there is no reason to vote except in the non-partisan school board elections, as Paco indicated. As he said, it was just an average, boring day for anyone who is not an R or a D, unless you cared enough to vote for your local school board (or any referendums your township may have had).

Top Bottom