• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    My son and I put together the list today of things we needed to build some raised beds. Burpee order for seeds is ready to be placed.

All my lillies and irises are pushing up and I've got 2 that are blooming. It's coming earlier this year for sure. Hope I don't get a killing frost when I'm not home to cover everything.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I just plug the peat pots straight into the ground, the varmints eat the plants before they mature, I get no vegetables, pretty straightforward. No, really, the peat pots are basically transparent to the roots, and in fact provide a little fertilizer IIRC.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I'm curious about the Ground Cherries. I've never tasted them.
    I'm a lazy gardener this year, not yet motivated, no seeds started, garden is a mess. I do have lettuce and spinach growing in the cold frame, and some cilantro.
    I am trying eggplant this year, i like veggies that are good on the grill. Also new- kale and corn salad. I don't do real with brassicas, but i might try some variety of cabbage, maybe wait to start a fall crop.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I'm curious about the Ground Cherries. I've never tasted them.
    I'm a lazy gardener this year, not yet motivated, no seeds started, garden is a mess. I do have lettuce and spinach growing in the cold frame, and some cilantro.
    I am trying eggplant this year, i like veggies that are good on the grill. Also new- kale and corn salad. I don't do real with brassicas, but i might try some variety of cabbage, maybe wait to start a fall crop.

My wife found out about them and ordered seeds. Supposedly they used to be grown quite a bit but their popularity wained as larger operations came into the market.
    Here's a PDF link

http://www.cog.ca/uploads/TCOG Articles/Ground cherries.pdf

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Eh...my peppers look a little...depressed?

5a5dacf6.jpg

Fertilize it? If so, what do you guys recommend?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We are expanding our garden big time now that mom is back in the states. We planted 6 trees this weekend and bought grapes, black and red raspberries, and fig trees ready to go.

I know we want peppers, onions, corn, tomatoes... Not sure all what else is in the plans yet.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I put a few tomato plants in the ground tonight. Will probably plant peppers and onions this weekend. After we get a couple weeks past frost date, I'll really go to town.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    My garden is planted.

A variety of peppers, tons of tomato plants of all varieties, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, onions and a row of green beans that my 7 year old planted so he could say he helped out.

I haven't counted the number of plants I have, but it's quite a few.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Gave my new rear tine tiller a work out yesterday. Prepped my existing beds and also tilled up another 20' X 40' plot, trippling my planting area. The new plot will be for sweet corn, zuch's, and melons.

I've been taking oak leaf and 4 seasons lettuce out for salads for a week already, these plants re seeded from last years plantings. (it pays to use heirloom varieties)

Strawberries are blooming and starting to form berries too.

Sweet potato slips, tomatoes, peppers, spinach, and ground cherry starts are all coming along nicely in the greenhouse but won't be put in the ground until after last frost.

I know I'm late on peas and beans, but will be planting them on Sat along with carrots, onion sets, broccoli and kale.

Top Bottom