• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    This will be my second year planting after a decades long absence.
    I learned quite a bit last year, some from the 2011 garden thread so, I thought I would start this year's thread and see if anyone else is gearing up for the season.

Last night I started tomatos (three kinds beefsteak, ace, and siberian), spinach, bell peppers, jalapeño peppers, and some marigolds.

They are in jiffy pots in mini green houses on a small table set up next to my back sliding door. I plan on starting some types of lettuce tomorrow.

I also have a small green house that I will transfer them into when the weather gets a bit warmer.

Who else is starting indoors?

What are some good cold weather plants that do well in Indiana that I should consider?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We have started some inside and are going to work on more this weekend.
    Lettuce can go in the ground in the next 2 weeks or so(that is our plan).We will cover it any night there is going to be frost.
    This may help.It is from Purdue and is a full guide for when to plant in Indiana(even has nice maps for different times within the state).I would print it out.
    http://www.hort.purdue.edu/hort/ext/Pubs/ho/HO_186.pdf

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I always start my pepper plants before the end of Feb. I get the seeds from park seeds a mix called rainbow bells. I put them in the ground late in may which is weird to keep them in the pots so long but bell peppers are not going to grow with cold feet.

You get chocolate, purple, red, orange, yellow, green and my personal favorite white peppers in the mix. The white are the best tasting to me and have the softest outer skin.

I did get some old lumber for raised beds this year and since where I decieded to put in a garden I do not have the best drainage. This is going to take up lots of time I would normally use doing other things. I am also going to take over the area next to the old garden which is on higher ground and has better drainage.

I let my local garden center do most of my early seed starting. They give me good prices but don't carry the rainbow bell mix.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    We have started some inside and are going to work on more this weekend.
    Lettuce can go in the ground in the next 2 weeks or so(that is our plan).We will cover it any night there is going to be frost.
    This may help.It is from Purdue and is a full guide for when to plant in Indiana(even has nice maps for different times within the state).I would print it out.
    http://www.hort.purdue.edu/hort/ext/Pubs/ho/HO_186.pdf

Thanks for that link. It will be printed in several copies. One for green house, one for our garden book, I will probably throw one in with my preps too.

Wanted to rep you for it, but INGO sez I've shown you enough luv and must wait. :D

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Got almost everything started indoors, and several cool weather veggies started out doors already.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I got chili and jalapeño peppers in those round dirt things...between the two kinds of peppers, I have 72 plants. Anybody is will to pick up a few plants, some are already sprouting.

Also, when these guys start pumping out peppers, I may give bunch of peppers away. Maybe do a little INGO meet, eat, and trade produce in may?

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I got chili and jalapeño peppers in those round dirt things...between the two kinds of peppers, I have 72 plants. Anybody is will to pick up a few plants, some are already sprouting.

Also, when these guys start pumping out peppers, I may give bunch of peppers away. Maybe do a little INGO meet, eat, and trade produce in may?

That is really a good idea! I'd be up for it.

Is anybody trying anything this year they haven't planted in the past?

I'm trying Siberian Tomatos. Got them from Seeds Trust and they are supposed to be similar to Roma's, but more hearty and tolerate cool/cold temps better.
    Also, some Ground Cheeries. My wife is really pumped on these and hopes they do well.
    So far, all of my tomato seeds have sprouted, total of about 50 plants :-) Peppers have not broken dirt yet though :(. I hope they do soon

We've been composting all winter and I just mucked out the chicken coop, so that got mixed in the composters too.

Hope this is good growing year. I wasn't able to put much back from last years' crop.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    That is really a good idea! I'd be up for it.

Is anybody trying anything this year they haven't planted in the past?

I'm trying Siberian Tomatos. Got them from Seeds Trust and they are supposed to be similar to Roma's, but more hearty and tolerate cool/cold temps better.
    Also, some Ground Cheeries. My wife is really pumped on these and hopes they do well.
    So far, all of my tomato seeds have sprouted, total of about 50 plants :-) Peppers have not broken dirt yet though :(. I hope they do soon

We've been composting all winter and I just mucked out the chicken coop, so that got mixed in the composters too.

Hope this is good growing year. I wasn't able to put much back from last years' crop.

Only about 35% of my 72 pepper plants broke through the dirt so far, but if anybody wants some pepper plants, send a pm at me.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Place the pepper plants on the hot water supply on your water heater. They take a long time to come up and the best way to get them to do so is a little bit of root heat.

Horseradish I planted last year should make for some good sandwitches this year.

I don't go overboard with the seed planting as I have a great little garden center and they give me deals.

I did fire up the roto tiller last weedend. Just wanted to make sure it still ran.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    a30d0de5.jpg

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I will joke about planting "Peter Peppers" again this year but probably won't. We just moved into a new house in December so this year will be spent with tomatoes in pots while we figure out what to do with the yard

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I will joke about planting "Peter Peppers" again this year but probably won't. We just moved into a new house in December so this year will be spent with tomatoes in pots while we figure out what to do with the yard

I always wanted to try one of those inside down tomato plant pot thingy...heard they work good

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have to totally restart my garden, even chainsaw some trees out of it now. Couldn't do much with it when I couldn't walk. Gonna be tilling, though, and start some seeds indoors this year. I guess it's about time for some of them. Got some bhut jolokia seeds; those should be an adventure!

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I have to totally restart my garden, even chainsaw some trees out of it now. Couldn't do much with it when I couldn't walk. Gonna be tilling, though, and start some seeds indoors this year. I guess it's about time for some of them. Got some bhut jolokia seeds; those should be an adventure!

I've already started my seeds, however, how do you know when is it time to plant your plants in the ground?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Well, whatever the Farmer's Almanac says, when you plug them in outdoors isn't that critical, as long as you're confident you've got past the last frost. It can be beneficial to harden them outdoors to temperature cycles if you're confident there won't be a frost that night. I like to use peat pots so you just shove them straight in without disturbing the roots.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The people that think they know what they're talking about will tell you when they think the last frost will be; whether you believe them or not is up to you. Can't hurt to give it a week or two; they're already growing and all. Seeds is another thing, but they're not as critical.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    The people that think they know what they're talking about will tell you when they think the last frost will be; whether you believe them or not is up to you. Can't hurt to give it a week or two; they're already growing and all. Seeds is another thing, but they're not as critical.

Would you take them from peat pot to clay pot then outside? Or peat pot straight outside?

Top Bottom