• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    When I lived in southern Indiana (Gibson County) We would go to the stripper pits and find them as big as a coke can. We would bread them and put on a cookie sheet and freeze some for a fish fry after we had several meals of them. For the fish fry we would have Bass, blue gills, Crappie and gig some frogs. That was one heck of a good meal. I now live in Elkhart and don't get to go much up here. I did buy some last year though. They just don't taste as good when you buy them instead of reaping the rewards for your hard work of hunting them.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Shouldn't be too much longer. Last year, I battered them and fried in butter, layered with parmigiano-reggiano cheese and pasta sauce, with fried greenbrier shoots...Goes excellent paired with salmon or lamb. Oh, I can't wait!

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I checked a couple spots in Putnam Co yesterday while out turkey scouting. We knew it was too cold still but had to look anyway. Nothing yet but hopefully warmer nights will produce some in the next couple weeks.

WilsonMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Crown Point
    I also checked this weekend in Warren County. Nothing popping yet, but the Turkeys were gobblin. I also saw a roadkill gobbler, and had another about 4 feet away from my front bumper at 60mph.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I was told by an old timer that the more snow you had the more mushrooms.. any thoughts on that?? maybe something to do about Nitrogen.. if so they ought to be the size of lamp posts.... hang on I have to go buy a bigger skillet.
    We live out in the country a bit and the neighbors all go mushroom hunting and we do a fish/mushroom fry... man i'm hungry.. good luck to all.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Yeah next week is supposed to drop back down below freezing. And more rain. What will all this rain do for them?

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    Mushroom season is a love/hate relationship for me, I love to hunt them but we get moretresspassers than any other time of year and 90% of them are the rudest people in the world. Conversation usually starts wtih " you know your tresspassing right ? Yes , Drop the bag and leave please, @#@#$ you Im not leaving these, Yes you are or you will not only be a tresspasser but a theif and I have CO on speed dial. @#$#$ you as they walk out.
    I just dont get it

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Mushroom season is a love/hate relationship for me, I love to hunt them but we get moretresspassers than any other time of year and 90% of them are the rudest people in the world. Conversation usually starts wtih " you know your tresspassing right ? Yes , Drop the bag and leave please, @#@#$ you Im not leaving these, Yes you are or you will not only be a tresspasser but a theif and I have CO on speed dial. @#$#$ you as they walk out.
    I just dont get it

It's the entitlement a lot of society seems to have these days.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I also checked this weekend in Warren County. Nothing popping yet, but the Turkeys were gobblin. I also saw a roadkill gobbler, and had another about 4 feet away from my front bumper at 60mph.

I had a couple turkeys strolling up my driveway a couple days ago. They are bold here...

Rattler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2013
    Indpls
    I was told by an old timer that the more snow you had the more mushrooms.. any thoughts on that?? maybe something to do about Nitrogen.. if so they ought to be the size of lamp posts.... hang on I have to go buy a bigger skillet.
    We live out in the country a bit and the neighbors all go mushroom hunting and we do a fish/mushroom fry... man i'm hungry.. good luck to all.

I've heard that as well.......big snow = great mushroom season. Cant confirm that though but I still think we're a couple weeks away here in S Central IN. Ground temp is still way too cool

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I am so bummed, we do not have access to our usual honeypot this year. But we'll have fun resuming our search in new territory!

jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013

I too have heard this. I believe they extra water and nutrients from the snow help them grow.

Found the first lil Black morel yesterday at Clifty Falls State Park. And two ticks:xmad:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    40 yesterday here another 10 today...no pic of the 10.....still a little early here too...woods not quite right yet.....

9ihac5.jpg

Top Bottom