It's almost 2016, why do you NEED an AR-15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I don't want to be sitting here with my thumb up my ... when they decide I can't have a 64oz soft drink.
    I truly think it would be better to watch them put their own thumbs up their own ..... .

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I need an AR for the same reason everyone else does. The 2nd Amendment was put in place to prevent the return of tyranny by maintaining a credible level of power among the people. The AR in civilian hands helps to maintain that power.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Am I the only "gun guy" who can't get excited about an AR-15? I want to get one at some point from a practicality standpoint, but the platform doesn't do "it" for me.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Am I the only "gun guy" who can't get excited about an AR-15? I want to get one at some point from a practicality standpoint, but the platform doesn't do "it" for me.

For me it was an acquired taste, I was hesitant to the "black rifle". I was also very slow to start texting, just started that about 2-3 years ago.

What I like about the platform is the "universal" aspect, you aren't dealing with a Marlin, vs. Ruger, etc. It is generic, an ar15 magazine (as well as other parts) will work in any ar15 no matter who the manufacturer.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    1mmagc.jpg

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

No Red you're not. Do you mind if I call you Red?

I had 147 in my arms room and had to carry one in the field.

I have never been in awe of the platform. I will say that it is a reliable platform and I am absolutely pleased with the guys that like it, having it, it IS their right and I am glad that they have them so I can pick one off the ground if I need one.

I have a sub-caliber carbine and a pistol for close in. I stick with a high caliber for longer shots. I don't have a need or desire for a semi-auto mid-caliber at this point.

When it comes time that I "NEED" one I will pick up an OPFOR full auto (be it an AR or AK). They will also make large stores of compatible ammo and other more destructive weapons of war that we can not currently own, available to us.

rjsone

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    Because it REALLY pisses Liberals off!

I'm half-serious... I had no interest before the first AWB. I then realized how much of an attack it was on our rights, so I then really felt like I NEEDED at least one.

If my interests run contrary to a particular left wing bush pig...I am likely on the right track.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Reminds me of a certain presidential candidate. I don't really want to vote for him, but just knowing that it is making the libs and establishment types cry, makes it a very attractive proposition...

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

I'm half-serious... I had no interest before the first AWB. I then realized how much of an attack it was on our rights, so I then really felt like I NEEDED at least one.

If my interests run contrary to a particular left wing bush pig...I am likely on the right track.

TRUE STORY not hyperbole.

Years ago BCTR (before conservative talk radio) I listened to NPR inorder to know what not to believe. As long as I was 180 degrees out of sync with them I KNEW i was on the right (RIGHT) path.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County

I'm with you, Nate. I have one, and it's a nice one at that, but I don't shoot it nearly as often as my Henry. I was excited about it when I first got it, but that excitement has waned... that said, I won't get rid of it.

This whole "Why do you NEED??" line of questioning is irrelevant. Me justifying owning one will never validate my "need" in the minds of those who don't want them to exist. The fact is, it's a VERY good tool for what it does; so good in fact, it's worth me having one in the event I ever need to use it to defend myself, my family, and my property. Why would I not choose one of the best tools available for something as important as my family? The 2A offers me the right to defend myself, and an AR is an incredibly effective choice.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm with you, Nate. I have one, and it's a nice one at that, but I don't shoot it nearly as often as my Henry. I was excited about it when I first got it, but that excitement has waned... that said, I won't get rid of it.

This whole "Why do you NEED??" line of questioning is irrelevant. Me justifying owning one will never validate my "need" in the minds of those who don't want them to exist. The fact is, it's a VERY good tool for what it does; so good in fact, it's worth me having one in the event I ever need to use it to defend myself, my family, and my property. Why would I not choose one of the best tools available for something as important as my family? The 2A offers me the right to defend myself, and an AR is an incredibly effective choice.
    I am NOT an AR fan. I hated the M16 when the USMC took away my M14 and gave me an unreliable, plastic, squirrel rifle.
    I didn't own one until 7-8 years ago maybe? Stock Colt, then the Armalite 10-4 and Carbon 15 pistol in 9mm I traded for only because I got a good deal.
    Now that I own a few of them and built a couple more recently I'm learning just how good of a tool they are. Cheap ammo, adequate in the designed range of the round, and very reliable.
    Favorites? Hardly. I love my old wood and blue bolt guns. I have to admit though....the evolution of the AR is leading to very accurate shooting and an expansion of caliber choices. Good tools.
    I don't like mowing all the yard either and I have to use a good tool on that as well.
    It's a tool like any other you have laying around. Looks like there might be things that might need fixing so you keep tools for things like that.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I understand that terminators have been dispatched to take out Liu Chin (invented gun powder), Nobel, Gatling, Henry, Browning, Mauser, Krupp, Tokerov, Kalashnikov, et al.

eSC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    New Pal
    "It's almost 2016, why do you NEED an AR-15?"

Because I believe in doing my part as a legal citizen of the United States of America, in that the rights you currently enjoy, remain rights of the individual.

Mandatory follow up question:

"By what authority do you question what a reasonable, responsible, law-abiding adult can or cannot own that does not violate fellow citizens rights?"

Top Bottom