• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Yes, unfortunately dumb stuff we do as kids or as immature adults can cause us trouble for the rest of our lives. There are consequences for our actions. My definition of immaturity is "not considering the consequences."

If you don't believe me, ask Michael Phelps.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Maybe I am misundertanding the what the OP wrote but I don't believe he was disqualified because of the quoted Indiana statute. I believe his federal NICS check came back denied which probably has do with his criminal record. Maybe it is I who is confused.

I just hope the OP is more responsible with the gun he ends up purcahsing after the records are "straightend out", than he was when he was busted. It's easy to blame prior mistakes on "being young and dumb" or being "in the wrong place at the wrong time" but the truth is that by age 18, we are all expected to consider the consequences of our actions and then live with those consequences. I would much prefer to see people accept responsiblity for what they have done and not acscibe fault for their misdeeds to their age or other factors outside of their control.

Last edited:

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Maybe I am misundertanding the what the OP wrote but I don't believe he was disqualified because of the quoted Indiana statute. I believe his federal NICS check came back denied which probably has do with his criminal record. Maybe it is I who is confused.
    Nope, I'm the confused one. Thanks for the correction.

Bluehazemay

Modern Pirate Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Brownsburg
    The NICS was denied due to records were not up to date with marion country ( which is common from what I found out ). My charge was set a misdomenor, but was not changed from a feloney, so I followed to process to have it corrected.

As for handling firearms, I have been around them most of my life, and they grew on me, In military school I became more fascinated and wanted to look into gunsmithing ( my apologies if that is not the correct term ) and training. So safety is key with me.

As for the young and dumb, I faced my charges and did serve my time requested by the court, so its not matter of looking for sympothy its a matter of that I followed the court order served my time and gave up my rights until my time was served, As per the order my charges would be changed per completion of the served time if there was no other problems, court did not complete there side which I had to repair. Of course normally it only takes one mistake to learn, and in this case that is it. Now do I reget what I did? Not really because it showed me what freedom was and what it ment and why we protect it. Loosing your freedom and your rights is not a pretty sight but is very possible to happen and and can happen quickly.

My apologies for the confusion.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    capshot, as far as I can tell I don't know you in real life. I have no doubt that you are a terrific guy. Almost everyone I have met on INGO is terrific.

And I know you have paid the legal price for your youthful indiscretions. This thing should have been cleared up and I'm sure it will be eventually. The system isn't efficient.

My comments in the earlier post are more general; not really aimed at you personally. It is quite apparent you already know what I was talking about.

It seems like a lot of people today -- and not just young people -- expect to do whatever they want to do and never experience any consequences. That just isn't real life.

God bless you. I hope you get it all straightened out.

Bluehazemay

Modern Pirate Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Brownsburg
    capshot, as far as I can tell I don't know you in real life. I have no doubt that you are a terrific guy. Almost everyone I have met on INGO is terrific.

And I know you have paid the legal price for your youthful indiscretions. This thing should have been cleared up and I'm sure it will be eventually. The system isn't efficient.

My comments in the earlier post are more general; not really aimed at you personally. It is quite apparent you already know what I was talking about.

It seems like a lot of people today -- and not just young people -- expect to do whatever they want to do and never experience any consequences. That just isn't real life.

God bless you. I hope you get it all straightened out.

Thank you, I will normally not take any comment as a insult as everyone has a right to there own opinion, In no way did I take anything you said wrong, you stated the truth and I had to agree with you. But I also wanted to point out what I learned from that type of experince.

Now for people thinking they can do whatever they want, young and old, you are surely correct on this. Its seen everywhere. Truth of the matter some people learn some people dont. Now for me I learned and im sry the jail food sucks! So I will keep my freedom and abide by the laws set, Now there are some I dont agree with but then again thats life its never perfect, but you have to enjoy what you have and cherish it while you have it. :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    My case is rather odd, I am 21 now, born june of 87,,,, in january 2001"so I was pretty young", I won't say I didnt know what I was doing but I was with the wrong people and made some very poor choices that I would never consider doing anything of the sort now'"I sat in a car when another kid decided to try to -burglarize-"didn't really think of it like that at the time I guess" some playstation crap from his brothers house they were older I felt like I should shut up I was not getting nor did I need anything of the sort I would have asked my mom =) this was like a week after I had borrowed my moms car for a joy ride and gotten busted somehow in the middle of BFE by a St. Joseph county cop and then while in there program in "JJC" I got in a bit of a tangle with some wild ass kid.
    but anyhow I thought forsure I would never get to own a gun, but on a whim to get me a skeet shooting shotgun I went when I was 18 and gave it a wirl.. No problem here ya go, I was shocked, thought mabey they were wrong even,so I was kind of afraid to drive to my buddies to shoot with it in the car. In time I purchased several long guns without a hitch. when I turned 21 I thought ok here we go watch this they will want to know where all my long guns are,so they can take them back or something crazy but I have now purchased my second handgun no problem.
    I tried to call my old attorney but he had flown the coupe,,, I went down aprox. 4 months ago explained to a ladie at "JJC" that I had been in trouble 7-8 years prior and asked how I would go about obtaining a copy of my juvenile record. she handed me a couple of papers and told me to fill them out.. I guessed the best I could at what I had been charged with and when a few weeks ago a letter shows up in the mail stateing that my record has been expunged and they now have no record of it anywhere if I had any question call this number sighned by several agencies,, along with a list of crap I had done right down to violating house arrest when my ankle thingy died but they came out and there I was,my box still saying I wasnt home. I know I made a mistake and I Regret"ed" it, but did not think that the legal system would see it the same way.
    really the only thing I wonder now is when I go this week-pending a check showing up on monday. and send in for my carry if this will hang me on that last rule about being 23. even though it has been so long,,, I use to think no way but with the luck I have had I have to think that they will give it up, however I am never sure.
    I learned my lesson about braking the law and hope you did also... so when they give you your rights back you will wait for the license to carry now ey??
    I know that mine hasn't left my house except in a lock box with ammo seperate on its way to the range in the six months I have had it.. While I have tried to take every step I can before applying for the license to assure that if I possibly can I will have....
    any one figure on whether since they give me handguns and with the expungment they will let me carry????

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Oh yea I wrote all that to say " I think that people make mistakes, and I dont think you can judge someone on paper the way alot of people I have met do.... I know some people I think deserve the right to have a firearm and cannot and I know a couple people I wouldn't give a gun to for nothin who are probly In they'r car right now playing with one to look cool for they'r buddies or somethin

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    My case is rather odd, I am 21 now, born june of 87,,,, in january 2001"so I was pretty young", I won't say I didnt know what I was doing but I was with the wrong people and made some very poor choices that I would never consider doing anything of the sort now'"I sat in a car when another kid decided to try to -burglarize-"didn't really think of it like that at the time I guess" some playstation crap from his brothers house they were older I felt like I should shut up I was not getting nor did I need anything of the sort I would have asked my mom =) this was like a week after I had borrowed my moms car for a joy ride and gotten busted somehow in the middle of BFE by a St. Joseph county cop and then while in there program in "JJC" I got in a bit of a tangle with some wild ass kid.
    but anyhow I thought forsure I would never get to own a gun, but on a whim to get me a skeet shooting shotgun I went when I was 18 and gave it a wirl.. No problem here ya go, I was shocked, thought mabey they were wrong even,so I was kind of afraid to drive to my buddies to shoot with it in the car. In time I purchased several long guns without a hitch. when I turned 21 I thought ok here we go watch this they will want to know where all my long guns are,so they can take them back or something crazy but I have now purchased my second handgun no problem.
    I tried to call my old attorney but he had flown the coupe,,, I went down aprox. 4 months ago explained to a ladie at "JJC" that I had been in trouble 7-8 years prior and asked how I would go about obtaining a copy of my juvenile record. she handed me a couple of papers and told me to fill them out.. I guessed the best I could at what I had been charged with and when a few weeks ago a letter shows up in the mail stateing that my record has been expunged and they now have no record of it anywhere if I had any question call this number sighned by several agencies,, along with a list of crap I had done right down to violating house arrest when my ankle thingy died but they came out and there I was,my box still saying I wasnt home. I know I made a mistake and I Regret"ed" it, but did not think that the legal system would see it the same way.
    really the only thing I wonder now is when I go this week-pending a check showing up on monday. and send in for my carry if this will hang me on that last rule about being 23. even though it has been so long,,, I use to think no way but with the luck I have had I have to think that they will give it up, however I am never sure.
    I learned my lesson about braking the law and hope you did also... so when they give you your rights back you will wait for the license to carry now ey??
    I know that mine hasn't left my house except in a lock box with ammo seperate on its way to the range in the six months I have had it.. While I have tried to take every step I can before applying for the license to assure that if I possibly can I will have....
    any one figure on whether since they give me handguns and with the expungment they will let me carry????

They should let you get a LTCH. Now though, I think it should be said that in IN, you need a LTCh to take a gun to the range, even if in a secure wrapper.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Juvinile records that are expunged would not show up to NICS nor the state police for filing for your LTCH. If it's been expunged they cannot look it up or see it. It's the same as a pardon. The ONLY people who can look it up is the Army if you choose to go that route. I didn't think they could but they had it when I went to enlist. The Army can find ANYTHING on you!

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    "They should let you get a LTCH"
    TY makes me feel better....
    now my question on the rest would be.... whenever I go to the Range It is me and a close freind who dose posses his LTCH, would this cover the fact that mine is riding along "in secure wrapper"

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    "They should let you get a LTCH"
    TY makes me feel better....
    now my question on the rest would be.... whenever I go to the Range It is me and a close freind who dose posses his LTCH, would this cover the fact that mine is riding along "in secure wrapper"

As long as you don't touch it until you get to the range you are all good. My dad took me to the range with my first pistol before I got my LTCH, so this will work for you. It won't need to be secured, just in its case or a range bag for the guns safety! :D

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    The ONLY people who can look it up is the Army if you choose to go that route. I didn't think they could but they had it when I went to enlist. The Army can find ANYTHING on you![/quote]
    I got in a motorcycle accident when I was 17 and they screwed my ankle back together and did something with the joint so unfortunatly Millitary is out for me :patriot:

Top Bottom