Issues with mechanical lock on a safe - going bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Anyone here with locksmith/engineering experience, or just someone who has had a mechanical lock safe ever had issues with the lock slowly 'going bad' on you?

When I land on the last digit or my combination, I would typically feel what I presume to be the pins falling into place (in the tumbler?). Because if I rotate the dial after I feel this, then you actually rotate the locking mechanism, thereby disengaging the locking bars.

What has been happening lately is when I land on the list digit, I don't feel anything and the dial just continues rotating freely. If I turn the dial back and forth across that last digit, I can feel something 'catching' lightly, but not enough to allow me to rotate the locking mechanism. If I continue to rotate the dial back and forth across that last digit, it eventually drops into place and I can unlock the safe.

I have studied this pretty extensively and have ruled out me just sucking at using the dial. This is in fact a mechanical issue.

So since I lack familiarity with the workings of safe locking mechanisms, what the heck is going on here, and can it be repaired or do I need to start hunting for a new safe?

Thanks.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I imagine a locksmith could replace or change what needs replaced. Odds are that it has slowly been going out of "spec" and allowing you to open it when you shouldn't have.

Think of the tumbler on a pad lock like a bunch of washers stacked on them with a groove cut out. Spin to the right so much, left, and right...and all the grooves line up allowing the door to open (very basic definition or lock).

If something allowed it to open before you last "digit" then odds are that that part has experienced quite a bit of wear, and is now needing replaced to function.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Since you can still get the safe open, did you try taking the back off the lock on the inside (assuming you can) and watching what happens when you lock and unlock it? You might find something simple & obvious sticking that some oil might fix. Might be worth a try before calling the locksmith.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Do not take the back off the lock!!!!! There is a relocking device built into the lock case. If you were to inadvertently close and lock the door, you would be spending a lot of money, and perhaps have to replace the container. Have a qualified locksmith or safe and vault technician take a look at it soon. One or more of the 3 combination wheels is not aligning properly at the drop point. This could mean that one of the wheels has become unlocked. If that is the case, the issue will get progressively worse until the unit will not open. Spend the money now and get it taken care of, before you get locked out.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Do not take the back off the lock!!!!! There is a relocking device built into the lock case.

The majority of re-lockers that I have seen are external to the lock itself. They are intended as a fail-safe should the lock become disabled.
    You should be fine to pull the back cover from the lock body.
    Spray the workings down with a can of spray tool cleaner. Let dry, Lightly spray lube. Re-assemble and carry on.

My guess is over the years of use there is a build-up of dust in the mechanism gumming up the works.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I'm with The Keymaster on this. The OP didn't specify what brand of combination lock he has, but if it an S&G I've been in that factory a half dozen times in the last 2 years and I am pretty familiar with the design and operation of the 3 and 4 reel locksets. From what the OP described, I'm 90% certain I know what the problem is (and 98% certain if the OP's lock is NOT an S&G) but I'm not a locksmith and I don't want to give specific advice, other than to say a qualified locksmith should be able to set it to rights in no time. And this isn't specifically for the OP's benefit, but those of you with mechanical dial combination locks on your safes; don't "snap" the dial when you are clearing the combination after closing and locking your safe. Over time this can cause the last number of your combination to "drift" on you.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Graphite into a previously oiled lock could be bad news as you'd get caking. I'd get a smith to look at it, or a new lock if about the same price. If the last tumbler isn't dropping like it should, sounds like it's already sticky. I'm not sure I'd open the lock to maintain unless it was designed to. Brass on brass does not wear very fast since it self-lubricates. If you have nickel-silver on brass, you may have some wear depending on age and use. Do what you feel is appropriate.

woodsman07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    The Keymaster has given the OP good advice. The safe needs to be serviced by a qualified locksmith as soon as possible. Over time several things can go wrong with the lock, that will lead to what the OP has described.

Take care of the problem now before it gets worse.

To many customers have said "I've been having trouble getting my safe open for awhile, now it won't open at all." :rolleyes:

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I'm with The Keymaster on this. The OP didn't specify what brand of combination lock he has, but if it an S&G I've been in that factory a half dozen times in the last 2 years and I am pretty familiar with the design and operation of the 3 and 4 reel locksets. From what the OP described, I'm 90% certain I know what the problem is (and 98% certain if the OP's lock is NOT an S&G) but I'm not a locksmith and I don't want to give specific advice, other than to say a qualified locksmith should be able to set it to rights in no time. And this isn't specifically for the OP's benefit, but those of you with mechanical dial combination locks on your safes; don't "snap" the dial when you are clearing the combination after closing and locking your safe. Over time this can cause the last number of your combination to "drift" on you.

I own a safe with an S&G on it, and I aoprecaite this peice of informatio., it wasnt easy for me to save up the money for it and I would like to take yhe best care of it I can.

Top Bottom