• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I was just correcting the often repeated "fact" that calling the dispatch center can tell you if the car behind you is really a police car or not.

Pfffft, dispatch can just look on the drone feed and determine whether the car is a LEO or not.

:laugh:

No, seriously, if you see emergency lights, just pull over. Don't turn an infraction stop (which, heck, maybe he does not give you, you divert, or beat in court) into a felony conviction! Pull over, don't be a numbnuts.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    So you would follow a dispatchers orders but not the officers? The lights coming on are a order to pull to the right side of the road. A dispatcher has no authority to give orders. Heck that is dangerous at best. In the end you are the one who will be doing the explaining. Heck give it a whirl someday and then get back with us.
    When I dial 911 I can be sure I am getting somebody who is, in fact, a dispatcher.

Any yahoo can get some red and blue lights and tape them up in their front window.

It's not too hard to tell if it's a real officer - common sense would apply.

Don't misunderstand my posts as "I will never stop for a marked car" as that's certainly far from the truth. Good judgement would be needed to determine if the officer an impersonator or not.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    There ya go.

The 'debate' here about stopping / not stopping when some 'random' car behind you turns on flashing lights is exactly a valid argument as to WHY unmarked cars should NOT be used for patrol & traffic.

The concept that 'everyone will always drive 'properly' because of unmarked cars is simply unproven, and the concept is unfounded. IF that WERE true, no one would violate traffic laws any more because everyone that's had a driver's license more than about 3 months knows there's unmarked cars on the road.

Heck, folks here just pointed out a good bunch of those unmarked cars (but not the older, unmarked teal Camaro that runs around the I-80/94 & I-65 area, LOL. Not 100% sure if they're still using it, though). Well, if folks right on this forum can readily describe them, and point out where they 'tend' to run, they're really NOT, then, 'unmarked', now are they, LOL?

And, what do people DO when they do see one of those unmarked squads (there's some other tip-offs, but I'm not inclined to state them)? They slow down and obey the rules (if they're violating them). Well, what do people do when they see a fully MARKED squad? They slow down.

The object of the traffic squads is to insure compliance with the traffic laws. The GOAL is for Police is to insure compliance. NOWHERE does it state to "bust every m***** f***** you can". Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that the 'slogan' on the cars (well, a lot of them) states:

"To Protect and Serve"

I do NOT remember ever seeing a slogan that says "All Civilians Are Really Criminals and Should Be Treated As Such". If I'm incorrect, please feel free to provide the appropriate reference.

To date, I've found no valid reason for Patrol or Traffic to use unmarked cars. Or even, honestly, for Patrol or Traffic Officers to be dressed like 'ninjas'. 'Revenue generation' is NOT a valid reason, under ANY circumstances. And that 'mindset' becomes an endless spiral - Use unmarked cars to generate more $$$ for the department (and community) so they can have more unmarked squads so they can generate more $$$ so they can... repeat. Balderdash.

Just my own observation, but it is my strong opinion that NO unmarked squads should be utilized for Patrol or Traffic enforcement, and NO unmarked squad should be making a routine traffic stop. Potentially dangerous for both the Citizen and the Officer. Other Divisions? Yes, they have their place.

Even 'gold badges' should, normally, have marked squads, unless there's a significant justification for the LEO to have one unmarked.

As far as not stopping if unsure or unable to confirm it's a real Officer, if in doubt, as noted, proceed to the nearest PD or VERY well-populated (NOT just 'well lit') area. ANY, repeat, ANY Officer of the law that has an issue with this, knowing full well it IS for the benefit and safety of the Citizen, should not be wearing a badge. We DON'T have the Nazi SS in this country.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    a department gets $3 back on a traffic ticket, hardly a source of revenue for a small dept., not putting decals on a vehicle saves $$$ on the placement and upkeep. There are some departments in this state that operate on less than a few thousand dollars a year

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    a department gets $3 back on a traffic ticket, hardly a source of revenue for a small dept., not putting decals on a vehicle saves $$$ on the placement and upkeep. There are some departments in this state that operate on less than a few thousand dollars a year

The revenue's generated are spread out from the courts on down. If you pay the court gets it's piece and so on. If you fight the lawyers get a big piece beyond the fines and fees. If you get enough points or really step in it (DUI etc0 there are classes, probation, docket and legal fees.
    How is all of this not generating revenue.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    There may be some revenue generated somewhere but it is definately not coming back to the indivudual department. People always spout this out as truth when they have no clue.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    There ya go.

The 'debate' here about stopping / not stopping when some 'random' car behind you turns on flashing lights is exactly a valid argument as to WHY unmarked cars should NOT be used for patrol & traffic.

The concept that 'everyone will always drive 'properly' because of unmarked cars is simply unproven, and the concept is unfounded. IF that WERE true, no one would violate traffic laws any more because everyone that's had a driver's license more than about 3 months knows there's unmarked cars on the road.

Heck, folks here just pointed out a good bunch of those unmarked cars (but not the older, unmarked teal Camaro that runs around the I-80/94 & I-65 area, LOL. Not 100% sure if they're still using it, though). Well, if folks right on this forum can readily describe them, and point out where they 'tend' to run, they're really NOT, then, 'unmarked', now are they, LOL?

And, what do people DO when they do see one of those unmarked squads (there's some other tip-offs, but I'm not inclined to state them)? They slow down and obey the rules (if they're violating them). Well, what do people do when they see a fully MARKED squad? They slow down.

The object of the traffic squads is to insure compliance with the traffic laws. The GOAL is for Police is to insure compliance. NOWHERE does it state to "bust every m***** f***** you can". Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that the 'slogan' on the cars (well, a lot of them) states:

"To Protect and Serve"

I do NOT remember ever seeing a slogan that says "All Civilians Are Really Criminals and Should Be Treated As Such". If I'm incorrect, please feel free to provide the appropriate reference.

To date, I've found no valid reason for Patrol or Traffic to use unmarked cars. Or even, honestly, for Patrol or Traffic Officers to be dressed like 'ninjas'. 'Revenue generation' is NOT a valid reason, under ANY circumstances. And that 'mindset' becomes an endless spiral - Use unmarked cars to generate more $$$ for the department (and community) so they can have more unmarked squads so they can generate more $$$ so they can... repeat. Balderdash.

Just my own observation, but it is my strong opinion that NO unmarked squads should be utilized for Patrol or Traffic enforcement, and NO unmarked squad should be making a routine traffic stop. Potentially dangerous for both the Citizen and the Officer. Other Divisions? Yes, they have their place.

Even 'gold badges' should, normally, have marked squads, unless there's a significant justification for the LEO to have one unmarked.

As far as not stopping if unsure or unable to confirm it's a real Officer, if in doubt, as noted, proceed to the nearest PD or VERY well-populated (NOT just 'well lit') area. ANY, repeat, ANY Officer of the law that has an issue with this, knowing full well it IS for the benefit and safety of the Citizen, should not be wearing a badge. We DON'T have the Nazi SS in this country.

Huh? A whole lot of fail in this post. What a police car looks like is really a pretty asinine topic IMO. Get ready to see more and more unmarked cars. With budgets being cut and things having to be trimmed here and there one big one is less lights and graphics on cars. A cop car is a cop car no matter how it looks. Arguing that a car might be an imposter is strange to me. I can see how a woman at night might have a concern. But some average guy being afraid or to concerned to pull over for a car in fear of it being a wanna be is pretty dang weird IMO. Heck I am game anytime for some imposter to pull me over. That would be kinda cool IMO.

FWIW I drive a marked car and have the rocket scientists of the world blow by or pass me on a frequent basis. Marked cars don't have to much of a factor on driver behavior in my experience.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton

Bingo^^^

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Back when I first started driving my friend got pulled over by an "unmarked car". Yeah, that "unmarked car" happened to be a guy known to us who obviously wasn't a cop but got a flashing red light with a suction cup from the novelty store.

My friend stopped, turned on the dome light and opened the window. When said "cop" got to the window the words were "it's (name deleted) upon which everyone got out of the car and proceeded to whip his a$$ along with a snow bath.

Call it trial by fire but I'm always leary of an unmarked car and the person walking up to the driver's window had better be a real cop and that window isn't going to be all the way down until I know it is a real cop.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Huh? A whole lot of fail in this post. What a police car looks like is really a pretty asinine topic IMO. Get ready to see more and more unmarked cars. With budgets being cut and things having to be trimmed here and there one big one is less lights and graphics on cars. A cop car is a cop car no matter how it looks. Arguing that a car might be an imposter is strange to me. I can see how a woman at night might have a concern. But some average guy being afraid or to concerned to pull over for a car in fear of it being a wanna be is pretty dang weird IMO. Heck I am game anytime for some imposter to pull me over. That would be kinda cool IMO.

FWIW I drive a marked car and have the rocket scientists of the world blow by or pass me on a frequent basis. Marked cars don't have to much of a factor on driver behavior in my experience.

Ya, cause perfectly healthy men never become victims of crime.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This thread is funny. People are always sayin they are ready to unstrap their glock with the tactical laser beam that can slice a man in half, if a guy looks at them sideways or they have enough gear for ww3 but when it comes to getting pulled over by a possible impersonator they (grown men) are afraid of getting butt raped. Hahahahahahaha!
    Sounds like a beaf with authority to me.
    Pull over and safe yourself some time in the pokey for a decision you will forever regret most likely.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    While it is wise to always be vigilant it amazes me of the things people chose to worry about.:rolleyes: I just dont get it I guess. I think I am going to research a meteor shield for the top of my car. Sure would hate to take a meteor rock to the head...it could happen after all.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    The revenue's generated are spread out from the courts on down. If you pay the court gets it's piece and so on. If you fight the lawyers get a big piece beyond the fines and fees. If you get enough points or really step in it (DUI etc0 there are classes, probation, docket and legal fees.
    How is all of this not generating revenue.

As a general rule courts and the state don't give any of that money to the department.

chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Hmm, I don't know... If you're in doubt signal that you've seen the officer (perhaps put on hazards) and call 911 to verify that the one behind you really is an officer. They'll be able to verify it pretty quick and, in the event it's not, they'll tell you what to do (keep driving normally, don't stop, etc). I got that same advice from a retired deputy

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Hmm, I don't know... If you're in doubt signal that you've seen the officer (perhaps put on hazards) and call 911 to verify that the one behind you really is an officer. They'll be able to verify it pretty quick and, in the event it's not, they'll tell you what to do (keep driving normally, don't stop, etc). I got that same advice from a retired deputy

Call 911 from a cell phone any you might get a call taker from another county. Confusion that costs valuable time...all the while the officer is behind you with lights/sirens as you continue to drive on. Although, you drive long enough there will be more than enough marked cars show up with you that you can feel confident they are legit officers...as they yank you out of your car...

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    Call 911 from a cell phone any you might get a call taker from another county. Confusion that costs valuable time...all the while the officer is behind you with lights/sirens as you continue to drive on. Although, you drive long enough there will be more than enough marked cars show up with you that you can feel confident they are legit officers...as they yank you out of your car...

Or another state as happens in our area and you call Ohio where they don't have unmarked cars for traffic, major confusion.

Top Bottom