• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    My youngest will be learning to drive soon. We was having one of many conversations on what to do and what not to do. I came across something I wasn't 100% sure of.

I remember hearing that if a Police Officer pulls you over in an unmarked car, they are required to be in full uniform. This would help prevent someone impersonating an officer doing a traffic stop. Is this correct or urban legend???

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    IC 9-30-2-2
    Uniform and badge; marked police vehicle
    Sec. 2. A law enforcement officer may not arrest or issue a traffic information and summons to a person for a violation of an Indiana law regulating the use and operation of a motor vehicle on an Indiana highway or an ordinance of a city or town regulating the use and operation of a motor vehicle on an Indiana highway unless at the time of the arrest the officer is:
    (1) wearing a distinctive uniform and a badge of authority; or
    (2) operating a motor vehicle that is clearly marked as a police vehicle;
    that will clearly show the officer or the officer's vehicle to casual observations to be an officer or a police vehicle. This section does not apply to an officer making an arrest when there is a uniformed officer present at the time of the arrest.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.18.

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    My youngest will be learning to drive soon. We was having one of many conversations on what to do and what not to do. I came across something I wasn't 100% sure of.

I remember hearing that if a Police Officer pulls you over in an unmarked car, they are required to be in full uniform. This would help prevent someone impersonating an officer doing a traffic stop. Is this correct or urban legend???

Not "full uniform", but "wearing a distinctive uniform and a badge of authority;"

IC Code is 9-30-2-2

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County

Hmm, I don't know... If you're in doubt signal that you've seen the officer (perhaps put on hazards) and call 911 to verify that the one behind you really is an officer. They'll be able to verify it pretty quick and, in the event it's not, they'll tell you what to do (keep driving normally, don't stop, etc).

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Just keep in mind.

AFAIK from class...

Any peace officer in this state has the ability to make an arrest anywhere within the state, even outside of what you believe may be their jurisdiction. You have to stop for marked and unmarked cars, them being in uniform doesn't matter as far as stopping goes. If you fear they are not real LEOS, then call 911 and proceed with their instructions.

They can stop you, lecture you, waste your time, and let you go, they don't have to write a citation. That law also does not say full uniform, just remember that. And this isn't something to argue about on the side of the road.

You WILL have to go to court if they wrongly write you a ticket, you can't argue with them about it, saying they weren't wearing enough uniform, lol.

One thing I want to ask... if anyone enters 65S leaving IUPUI, then takes the left ramp, (columbus is it?) there is always this unmarked RED cruiser. It has antennae and lights. I have never seen an ISP cruiser that is red, only fire personnel, but I see him there on the side waiting for speeders. Is that an ISP unmarked patrol vehicle, or what?

Last edited:

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    Just keep in mind.

AFAIK from class...

Any peace officer in this state has the ability to make an arrest anywhere within the state, even outside of what you believe may be their jurisdiction. You have to stop for marked and unmarked cars, them being in uniform doesn't matter as far as stopping goes. If you fear they are not real LEOS, then call 911 and proceed with their instructions.

They can stop you, lecture you, waste your time, and let you go, they don't have to write a citation. That law also does not say full uniform, just remember that. And this isn't something to argue about on the side of the road.

You WILL have to go to court if they wrongly write you a ticket, you can't argue with them about it, saying they weren't wearing enough uniform, lol.

One thing I want to ask... if anyone enters 65S leaving IUPUI, then takes the left ramp, (columbus is it?) there is always this unmarked RED cruiser. It has antennae and lights. I have never seen an ISP cruiser that is red, only fire personnel, but I see him there on the side waiting for speeders. Is that an ISP unmarked patrol vehicle, or what?

You are incorrect, in order to even make the stop an officer must be in either uniform OR marked vehicle. If an officer in an unmarked car with no uniform stops you, it is NOT a legal stop. However if an officer IS in uniform, it is legal.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    NW I-74 they are running black GMC Yuckon's. Totally blacked out windows and body. There are more than one and I think they are out of Brownsburg as they are always in that stretch between pitsboro and lizton. Hard to make in your mirrors.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    NW I-74 they are running black GMC Yuckon's. Totally blacked out windows and body. There are more than one and I think they are out of Brownsburg as they are always in that stretch between pitsboro and lizton. Hard to make in your mirrors.
    I've always identified this sort of vehicle from the lights in the grille or the sheer fact that they either have tinting in the front or LED lights up near their mirror or by the a-pillars.

If you have the eyesight for it, you can pick them out pretty easily.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Coming up through the 60's and being of the street racing culture (not any more) my Spidy sense still tingles when in close proximity to un-marked.
    These SUV's are pretty stealthy if they are a ways back in your mirrors. Hard to define any lights as these guy's are running the low profile units up front. Not sure what the rear markers are.
    I saw 2 of them in a cross over chatting and until I was right up on them it was hard to tell.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Coming up through the 60's and being of the street racing culture (not any more) my Spidy sense still tingles when in close proximity to un-marked.
    I won't admit to anything, obviously, but let's just say I tend to identify a police car from the front or rear from several hundred feet just by the headlights/tail lights.

It's uncanny, and I can't explain it... People don't believe me until we're going down the road at night and I go "That's a cop ahead of us," or "That's a cop behind us," and they go "NO WAY YOU KNOW THAT!"

Shocks people every time when I'm right, and I've never been wrong (in the last 10 years).

That said, I tend to identify every make/model/year of vehicle I'm familiar with by it's headlights/tail lights without issue. I haven't actively tried to memorize anything either, it's just 'there' for me to use.

These SUV's are pretty stealthy if they are a ways back in your mirrors. Hard to define any lights as these guy's are running the low profile units up front.
    Low profile isn't invisible. Hard to spot? Sure. If you don't know what you're looking for or where to look... Sure.

They're getting better and better at hiding them but there are always still signs it is a police vehicle even if it's the fact that you can't see through and through the vehicle because the tinting is so dark.

At night, it would be much harder - but I tend to have no issues with that as explained above. Most likely wouldn't be this lucky but, then again, quit breaking the law a**hole! (Liar Liar Quote).

Not sure what the rear markers are.
    LED strips at the top and/or bottom of the rear glass. Strobes or LEDs in the reverse lights and/or brake lights. With the tinting they have in the back window it can be extraordinarily difficult to identify.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Oh, another thing... They're always black (or white) and always obscenely clean. Cops in unmarked cars tend to take pride in their vehicles and, as such, tend to keep them very extremely clean on the outside. Black (and white) are the hardest colors to keep clean.

If they went with normal colors and not always cop black, cop white, or cop maroon red it would be harder to identify them as well.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    You are incorrect, in order to even make the stop an officer must be in either uniform OR marked vehicle. If an officer in an unmarked car with no uniform stops you, it is NOT a legal stop. However if an officer IS in uniform, it is legal.

I said full uniform, and officer does not have to be in what many would consider a full uniform. For example, high ranking officers, unmarked vehicles with stealth lights/sirens. They can be be leaving the office and be wearing dress pants, with department dress shirt and badge. They don't have to be wearing full patrol uniform.

And if the lights are going off you DO have to stop. You cannot tell if he is in uniform from 100 feet away and you cannot flee the scene. So I don't quite get what your point is. I suppose if it turns out to be an illegal stop, you can ask to speak to a supervisor.

So...

Cop lights up, unmarked car, 911 dispatch confirms he is a cop.
    Cop happens to be out of uniform.
    Are you telling me that since it's not a legal stop, that you will just drive off?

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I suppose if it turns out to be an illegal stop, you can ask to speak to a supervisor.
    They're not concerned that it's an illegal stop in the sense that the officer didn't have the right to pull the person over... They're concerned with somebody that is not actually an officer pulling their child over and doing who knows what (young women have been kidnapped and raped, etc). This is also why the uniform question was asked - many impersonators may have some lights but don't tend to have uniforms although some have.

If you are in doubt that the officer pulling you over is really an officer, as I said above, indicate that you have seen them and are not intentionally ignoring them and call 911 and verify it's a police officer.

If it's an officer, they will verify it and ask you to pull over. If it's not - they will provide further directions (such as don't stop, give us your location, etc) so that they can stop the impersonator.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    They're not concerned that it's an illegal stop in the sense that the officer didn't have the right to pull the person over... They're concerned with somebody that is not actually an officer pulling their child over and doing who knows what (young women have been kidnapped and raped, etc). This is also why the uniform question was asked - many impersonators may have some lights but don't tend to have uniforms although some have.

If you are in doubt that the officer pulling you over is really an officer, as I said above, indicate that you have seen them and are not intentionally ignoring them and call 911 and verify it's a police officer.

If it's an officer, they will verify it and ask you to pull over. If it's not - they will provide further directions (such as don't stop, give us your location, etc) so that they can stop the impersonator.

Bundy, yep.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Oh, another thing... They're always black (or white) and always obscenely clean. Cops in unmarked cars tend to take pride in their vehicles and, as such, tend to keep them very extremely clean on the outside. Black (and white) are the hardest colors to keep clean.

If they went with normal colors and not always cop black, cop white, or cop maroon red it would be harder to identify them as well.

I was going to say that there's an unmarked state Mustang that runs up and down 65 south of Seymour, but I see you mentioned red as well. ;)

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I was going to say that there's an unmarked state Mustang that runs up and down 65 south of Seymour, but I see you mentioned red as well. ;)
    There are a few unmarked mustangs but they tend to stand out... The only way you wouldn't know if it was an officer is if you were oblivious (and, sadly, many drivers are).

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    In Terre Haute, there is a first gen of the new Charger unmarked that rolls around town. Was leaving work one day and seen a SUV with no lights on. I turn and go and see him (SUV) finally turn his headlights on, but happen to see a red Charger driving and knew it was the ISP. Sure enough, I see him u turn and light up his red and blue's.

The THPD is getting more and more current generation Chargers. The chief rolls in a Tahoe that is unmarked (other then lights and bar). The Vigo Co. Sheriff rolls in a marked Explorer.

Another funny story is there is a spot on 40 in East Glenn where 84 Lumber used to be. One night I noticed the light at the storage place was off but did notice a shadow of a Crown Vic. I was only doing 50mph, but turned cruise off and started to slow down. About that time the car behind me was catching up big time and passed me right where the cop was sitting. Sure enough, he does a u turn and lights up the guy who passed me.

I did see that in the area a state cop rolls around in what looks to be a state highway truck.

I also have seen a red Mustang that is an unmarked cop car.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Up by Merrillville on I65 ISP have a completely unmarked white F150 super crew. The lights are in the grill and along the inside upper edge of the windshield.

I'm glad I don't speed anymore because that one would get me.

Top Bottom