• ...and so much more!
  • dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    :popcorn:

This one ought to bring out both the "cop haters" and the "help-help, I'm being oppressed'rs". Should see most my ignore list in this thread, how exciting!!

Sorry, I missed your invitation. I didn't notice it until this morning. For the record, I'm not in the "cop hater" category.

If I'm broadcasting unencrypted information through the airwaves and somebody snags that - what am I going to do? I can't really claim my privacy is being invaded just like if I take a megaphone and stick it out my window and start yelling private conversations - I can't be mad at people who happen to overhear said conversations.

Sure - you may need a device to hear what is being sent - but that device in and of itself isn't an invasion of privacy IMHO. The invasion of privacy is sending private information out in a way that can easily be intercepted and listened to/watched.

A couple of days ago I was told by an ex-cop that the police departments can get a warrant and listen to conversations through a cell phone even if that phone was not being used to call someone. I was skeptical, but I remembered seeing a video of a guy that was explaining that computer webcams can be used the same way. The guy on that video was naming names and he appeared to be a "for real" whistleblower. I can't find that video, but I believe he was testifying in front of Congress. I immediately put a piece of tape over my laptop camera because I did believe the guy in the video. I have been shutting off my cell phone during some conversations. That video was from before a school was busted for turning on webcams and spying on students.

Here's the point: Some people believe that our cell phone conversations are "fair game" because anyone can listen with the right equipment, so law enforcement should be able to do the same thing. That may not be against the law, I don't know for sure. If it is true that you don't have to be having a conversation and that they can just turn on/enable your cell phone microphone, that is like bugging your home. We all know they wouldn't do that without a warrant.

FBI taps cell phone mic as eavesdropping tool - CNET News

I'm not sure if the information in the link is true. Just wondering; Do we have to be having a conversation on our cell phones for them to hear us, or can they just turn on the microphone and listen? That may not be as widespread as listening to phone conversations and collecting data, but we have learned the NSA doesn't care about our Liberty so I figure if it is possible, they're doing it. That new "spy facility" in Utah will be a valuable tool for the "war on terror". I am just concerned about who will be doing the terrorizing.

Last edited:

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    There are specific fora for specific subjects. Subjects pertaining to things like this and government entities would, logically, go in the Politics Forum. Not the Break Room. If you can't see that this subject is political in nature that's your fault, not mine or anyone else's.

Huh, I didn't realize that this would blow up like this. As the OP, thought this was news, not politics, so I posted this here. There are many other threads that tread the thin line between news and politics in the Break Room, so I saw no issue. However, if the mods see differetly and decide to move the thread, so be it. Part of living under their rules, I guess.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Sorry, I missed your invitation. I didn't notice it until this morning. For the record, I'm not in the "cop hater" category.

A couple of days ago I was told by an ex-cop that the police departments can get a warrant and listen to conversations through a cell phone even if that phone was not being used to call someone. I was skeptical, but I remembered seeing a video of a guy that was explaining that computer webcams can be used the same way. The guy on that video was naming names and he appeared to be a "for real" whistleblower. I can't find that video, but I believe he was testifying in front of Congress. I immediately put a piece of tape over my laptop camera because I did believe the guy in the video. I have been shutting off my cell phone during some conversations. That video was from before a school was busted for turning on webcams and spying on students.

Here's the point: Some people believe that our cell phone conversations are "fair game" because anyone can listen with the right equipment, so law enforcement should be able to do the same thing. That may not be against the law, I don't know for sure. If it is true that you don't have to be having a conversation and that they can just turn on/enable your cell phone microphone, that is like bugging your home. We all know they wouldn't do that without a warrant.

FBI taps cell phone mic as eavesdropping tool - CNET News

I'm not sure if the information in the link is true. Just wondering; Do we have to be having a conversation on our cell phones for them to hear us, or can they just turn on the microphone and listen? That may not be as widespread as listening to phone conversations and collecting data, but we have learned the NSA doesn't care about our Liberty so I figure if it is possible, they're doing it. That new "spy facility" in Utah will be a valuable tool for the "war on terror". I am just concerned about who will be doing the terrorizing.
    That's how they eventually cracked the armor of the mafia in the 90's and took them down. They were able to turn on the members cell phone mic and listen to conversations. They still do it today. They only way you can be sure your phone is off is by removing the battery. Notice how now a lot of phones have batteries you cannot remove. They probably have a capacitor or something in them anyways that would keep the mic and gps going even without the battery.
    and if you think they give a flying **** about having a warrant I have some ocean front property in AZ to sell you. They will get it if they want it, or maybe they will just use the info and never submit it at trial so you'll never know.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Just a heads up, being an ass on this forum won't get you very far.
    Whatever. Plenty of asses still hanging around. Most of 'em haven't even been given a vacation. On the contrary, some of them have a following. Newbs just have a lower threshold because no one's hanging from their anatomy yet.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Whatever. Plenty of asses still hanging around. Most of 'em haven't even been given a vacation. On the contrary, some of them have a following. Newbs just have a lower threshold because no one's hanging from their anatomy yet.
    Yep. It's all about who you know and who you blow. It's how the world turns :):

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Just think, now everyone is paranoid that not only is the NSA listening but so is the ISP. Maybe they will go back to carrier pigeons or such like the Taliban did.

Or people might just try being a human being and not causing problems.

Maybe they thought their room was bugged?

What could be more human than causing problems???

You mean being a drama queen?

Er.... what?

No, I'm thinking of human beings who cause problems by lying, stealing, murdering, invading other countries.

Bad behavior seems to be part of the human condition. Except maybe in those countries where the government has given itself carte blanche to monitor and control the population. That seems kind of a high price to pay for harmonious life...

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    That's how they eventually cracked the armor of the mafia in the 90's and took them down. They were able to turn on the members cell phone mic and listen to conversations. They still do it today. They only way you can be sure your phone is off is by removing the battery. Notice how now a lot of phones have batteries you cannot remove. They probably have a capacitor or something in them anyways that would keep the mic and gps going even without the battery.
    and if you think they give a flying **** about having a warrant I have some ocean front property in AZ to sell you. They will get it if they want it, or maybe they will just use the info and never submit it at trial so you'll never know.

I deal with and support phones on a daily basis. I have seen extensive tear downs of the devices I support, teardowns that identify every chip on every board. There is no way that those devices are on with a dead battery. Trust me, I wish that were the case when I'm talking to someone who lost a device that is now untraceable because it's powered off. Maybe I just don't have my :tinfoil: adjusted right, but what you are talking about with the device being off is not possible.

Now, listening to your calls, reading your texts and examining your web history is easy by comparison.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I deal with and support phones on a daily basis. I have seen extensive tear downs of the devices I support, teardowns that identify every chip on every board. There is no way that those devices are on with a dead battery. Trust me, I wish that were the case when I'm talking to someone who lost a device that is now untraceable because it's powered off. Maybe I just don't have my :tinfoil: adjusted right, but what you are talking about with the device being off is not possible.

Now, listening to your calls, reading your texts and examining your web history is easy by comparison.
    I was just speculating on it working without the battery. But they can activate the mic when the battery is in it even if you turned the phone off. It's not me having a tin foil hat on saying that. You can go read the declassified case files from the 90's. This information was availible and known about way before Edward snowden blew the whistle.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I was just speculating on it working without the battery. But they can activate the mic when the battery is in it even if you turned the phone off. It's not me having a tin foil hat on saying that. You can go read the declassified case files from the 90's. This information was availible and known about way before Edward snowden blew the whistle.
    It's fact not a conspiracy theory.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    It's fact not a conspiracy theory.

Oh yeah. They can flip the switch anytime. The New American had a good article on how they can activate any webcam and start surveilling without even turning on the indicator light. With free software like AirShark, you can rip people's wifi passwords over the air even if they're not broadcasting their SSID. NSA can literally break through most encryption schemes via end-runs or man-in-the-middle attacks on data as it's being sent, or intercepted on-the-fly before encryption. There is nowhere to hide and next to nothing that can be done to preserve privacy in this digital age. They are producing sousveillance electrical appliances that will be able to indicate whether they are on or off to external monitors of your power consumption, championed by no less a person than David Petraeus, former war veteran, general, and now head of the CIA. We've crossed the Rubicon and entered a Brave New World of which we were warned, repeatedly, did not listen to those warnings, and now we're here. It is upon us. The death of privacy, true privacy, is nigh.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    There are only so many ways to stop this behavior:
    soap box
    ballot box
    copper box (over either your cell phone or over the cops truck full of spy equipment)

Top Bottom