• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    With the upcoming storm and cold, I am making plans in the event we lose heat/electricity, and we are unable to leave the house. I am thinking of using the first floor since it has plenty of space, and has the amenities (kitchen, bathroom, light) we would need to be comfortable; I want to block off the front room to decrease the living space which needs to be heated (propane heater)--what is the best way? Would the Reflectix bubble insulation work if I staple it to the wall/make a frame? Use fiberglass/foam board insulation? I want to keep it simple and not spend a fortune, but I don't want to just waste my money and time.

Thoughts?

Ademus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2013
    Greenfield
    We lived in the country, growing up my dad would just use a thick old comforter and used a staple gun... Always seemed to work, I'm sure there are more ways efficient...but that may be cheaper

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I second the heavy blanket plan. Worked rather well for us growing up. It wasn't too hard to have a 20 degree temp difference on either side of the blanket, but this was also blocking a stairwell.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I second the heavy blanket plan. Worked rather well for us growing up. It wasn't too hard to have a 20 degree temp difference on either side of the blanket, but this was also blocking a stairwell.

My dad this this also. We lived in a old large two story house, but besides bedrooms, LIVED in just 4 rooms. Kithen, family room, bathroom and large dining room. A wood stove was in the family room and the furnace was turned way down. This was our usual winter.

Ademus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2013
    Greenfield
    My mother always got upset when he ran out of staples and used heavy nails... When we took the down the had .25" holes around the edges

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    You guys have probably already seen this but if not here it is.

[video=youtube;nzKbFzUEWkA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzKbFzUEWkA[/video]

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Amish quilts tacked up between rooms in one house. One time I left a cup of water in the closed off room. Froze solid even though it was only 4 feet away on the other side of the quilt.
    Even quilted off the hall to the bathroom once when it got real cold. Had the coat rack full of coats to put on just to walk 10 feet to hit the head.

This was back when we used to have actual "weather" here in Indiana. We'll see what next week brings. :oldwise:

Top Bottom