• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sounds like you have the real solution figured out: a locking bin for temporary onsite storage until your shredding contractor can take possession. That should take care of your "busy-body" staffer and the higher-ups.

Well, that, and a wiffleball bat.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Have you contacted Omnisource? Might be able to work out a deal that they can have them for free if guaranteed to be shredded. Give them a sealed box, they'll toss the whole box in the shredder/separator.

We already have a recycler for them. The sticking point appears to be how securely they are stored between the point they are removed from the system and the time they are picked up by our recycler. Apparently in a bin in an employee only area isnt safe enough for some unless they are already disabled completely. :rolleyes: Ironically, those that have physical access to the disks have access to exponentially more info on the network than is available on these disks. (Its mostly a perceived threat) Its like an officer being concerned about loaded AR mags laying around when everyone in the company has access to the C4 and grenades in the other room.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    I had a rig all imagined in my mind, including an enclosure to hold the drive and capture ALL the shavings, even with the shop vac exhausting outside. Then I realized I was appearing to overthink/overengineer.

I admit I have no clue what that sentence means, so I'm going to suggest you get you a nice little D9. Lay the hard drives down and drive over them. As an added bonus you could drive it home and smooth out the flower gardens and stuff. Before you say no all I ask it just think about it a little. Or maybe a M1A2..........or just buy a gun safe.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So enable an MBAM strategy and cut the risk. I hate IT sometimes. We have to DOD wipe all the deskop PCs before they are sent for recycle/reuse. But, server drives are just set out for pickup as "destroy only".

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am glad that you are taking the time to destroy the drives completely. The effects of identity theft are burdensome and long lasting.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    All my old Hardrives get a 45acp to the face. It kills their soul I hear.

Maybe I should just save them all up for the INGO Proteq day? I know Don usually frown on "targets of opportunity" but maybe if I stage them properly on a tarp and clean up all the pieces... :lmfao:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    5 gallon plastic bucket and muriatic acid in a well ventilated area.

I use that technique with backup tapes. Add various chemicals to water like windex to reduce surface tension and weaken the media a bit.

(not like we have anything worthy of carefully drying them out to recover. just not worth the effort.)

Top Bottom