Is WalMart hording ammo so they can control it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Many gun stores are limiting boxes of ammo to customers. Why is it so impossible to believe that Walmart is limiting the amount of ammo they set out each day or week? :dunno:

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    :xmad:Hey CBR...What do you wear to WalMart? There are folks out here that have to shop at WalMart and don't deserve comments like that.:twocents:

If you have no other options but to wear pajamas to WalMart without showering, then my comment wasn't directed at you but I've seen too many who clearly have the option but lack the intestinal fortitude to run a comb through their hair. Those are the ones I refer too, not gun loving leathernecks in an unfortunate situation. Please, don't be offended.

Well, the ammo comes in a black helicopter to my WalMart. I've seen it being delivered. The helo comes in low and quiet, it must have those sound suppressors on the exhaust ports and those special blades to reduce the sound. The it just hovers there as the ammo is roped down through the roof. No lights and all of the crates are painted so black they look like a hole in the fabric of space-time, you can only see them for what you can't see behind them. I tried to take a picture with both a digital camera and a Polaroid but there seems to be some sort of electronic distortion field emanating from either the store or the bird that keeps an electronic camera from working right, all my pix looked like white noise. The Polaroids came out all white, like they were over exposed, every one so they have some sort of way of keeping those from working too. When they saw me there trying to take pictures, a large group of heavily armed men in those SWAT like Ninja outfits came out of the store and tried to detain me but I managed to get away before they were able to reach me. I was able to notice though, they were all carrying Chinese made AK's and side arms. Clearly all of this is an attempt to keep us from being able to repel a Chinese invasion force by limiting the amount of ammo we have available. No doubt this is some sort of well thought out attack on both our economy and possibly, our way of life by the Chinese/WalMart Coalition. :abused:
    Where can I get a job piloting one of those helo's.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    If Walmart were hoarding ammo, that would go against their just-in-time business model. One way Wally world keeps prices so low is that they keep minimal inventory on hand. What you see is usually what you get, minus whatever was delivered and hasn't been stocked on the shelves yet. They have a real-time inventory system that minimizes the amount of product they keep lying around in warehouses.

If, indeed they are withholding ammunition, it may very well be to ration the supply so more people have a chance to buy it.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If you have no other options but to wear pajamas to WalMart without showering, then my comment wasn't directed at you but I've seen too many who clearly have the option but lack the intestinal fortitude to run a comb through their hair. Those are the ones I refer too, not gun loving leathernecks in an unfortunate situation. Please, don't be offended.
    Maybe they had to run to get some diapers or medicine for a toddler, or make an ice cream run for a pregnant wife, or to get their own medicine, or maybe they just don't give a damn about other people's opinions.

I would rather talk to a slobbish-kind person, than a well-groomed a-hole 10/10 times. Might just be my upbringing though.

I'm wearing plaid pj's, flip flops, and my holiest yard shirt to wally's tonight, you don't like it. don't look. ;)

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Maybe they had to run to get some diapers or medicine for a toddler, or make an ice cream run for a pregnant wife, or to get their own medicine, or maybe they just don't give a damn about other people's opinions.

I would rather talk to a slobbish-kind person, than a well-groomed a-hole 10/10 times. Might just be my upbringing though.

I'm wearing plaid pj's, flip flops, and my holiest yard shirt to wally's tonight, you don't like it. don't look. ;)

Just take a bath, then. There is nothing worse than standing in line at Walmart behind some nasty slob who smells and looks like :poop:

For a little diversionary entertainment:
    Funny Pictures at WalMart

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Reliable Gun Store Employee told me that Wal-Mart and China are Conspiring to Control the American Ammunition Market. Only when Ammo Prices Triple will Ammo once again be Available. Should this be in Purple ? :D

Ha ha, not really out of the realm of possibilities. After all ammo prices doubled in a matter of months back in 2008.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Wal Mart is the largest arms/ammo seller in the USA. They did not get there by keeping it in the warehouse.

This!

Hoarding ammo isn't free. It's foolish for Wal-Mart, and any business manager who advocated it would be fired.

WMT doesn't get ammo for free. It has to buy it. Stored ammo represents an expense that has not generated any revenue. Storage space is also not free. It costs money to hoard ammo.

If Wal-mart is rationing ammo, it's because they are trying to make as many customers happy as they can, given the shortage. There is NO financial benefit to WMT for hoarding or even rationing-- only negatives for them.

JH

Smokle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    walmart does some shady stuff anyway, when I worked in a walmart in Louisiana I was told to tell customers after 10pm that they couldn't buy ammo of any kinda unless they were a LEO, pissed a lot of people off, got me cussed out from a to z but in the end it was what I was told to do by a assistant manager, the biggest problem is that the mngers don't know jake to begin with, ive never heard of ammo being stocked in the back, unless it just came off the truck and people were just plain to lazy to stock it

want to find out if walmart has it? find someone with a handheld system (telzon / 9-60's) many different names for them and have them scan the barcode, it will show how many on hand, on order, warehouse and blah blah

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Can Walmarts get supply contracts with local agencies?

If so, why wouldn't they have on-hand minimums? I have seen similar arrangements with large customers in most types of business, whether it be a car dealer that held back a number of F-150s from retail sales (back 1997, when they were almost impossible to get) or a major PC manufacturer that holds a certain breakdown of spare parts for older models back from retail inventory to cover their major-purchaser warranty obligations.

I am pretty certain one of my LGS has/had a similar arrangement a little while back. Went in to purchase 5.56 and was told they were out-of-stock by one of the guys, but when I asked another one of the guys I had worked with previously he went into the back and told me he got permission to sell me 10 boxes. The only comment he gave was that it was from a "reserve" inventory.

Last edited:

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    My wife who recently left Walmart after 14 years called around a few minutes ago to a number of former co-workers, from 5 different Walmarts (all co-workers were in management), and all said there is no inventory being held in the back.

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    Weird thing is I stopped at the Plainfield wmt on Wednesday and saw one lonely box of 38. That night at the brownsburg struck me funny to see another single lone box of 38..... Haven't seen a single new box on a shelf in weeks of dropping in...who knows.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    My wife who recently left Walmart after 14 years called around a few minutes ago to a number of former co-workers, from 5 different Walmarts (all co-workers were in management), and all said there is no inventory being held in the back.

That's the kind of info I was looking for.

My friend works there and this is what was witnessed.... This is first hand relay and I'm just asking for validation.

Top Bottom