• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    As much as I hate to go there and open this can of worms, I feel compelled to do so. More than likely at one point in time our ancestors were immigrants. Our families did not just magically appear here. We are all children of immigrants but now despise them. This makes no sense at all.

So the original OP's English was a little broken, I am intelligent and unbiased enough that I could decipher what he was saying with no real difficulty. I applaud that his post was composed so well since English isn't his first language. His broken English does not bother me nearly as much as the poor grammar used by natural born US citizens. His writing was actually better than some of theirs I've seen.

Times are changing and we need to change with them. I do not believe it is acceptable to chastise someone who tries for not being a 100% correct unless we are capable of living up to the standards we wish to impose upon others.

Guess where these words appear.

"Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
    With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
    Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
    A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
    Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name,
    Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
    Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
    The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
    "Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
    With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Ok, explain to me what is wrong with asking people to conform to the language that is spoken/written in this country.

I went to Vietnam last year and did not expect them to speak English everywhere I went. The ones that spoke English spoke it because they wanted my money. Seems pretty straight forward to me
    He was typing English, not Spanish which I believe is his native language.

Was it perfect? No. At least he tried. Making fun of the attempt is wrong.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I posted in that thread. I mostly understood what he was trying to say.......I think. Aside from the poor writing skills most of the story didn't ring true or make sense to me.
    As I posted that thread, if he told the officer he had to remove his gun to access his wallet, and then presumably did so to show the officer his license, how was it that the officer didn't see his gun and later asked what he was carrying??

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Ok, explain to me what is wrong with asking people to conform to the language that is spoken/written in this country.

I went to Vietnam last year and did not expect them to speak English everywhere I went. The ones that spoke English spoke it because they wanted my money. Seems pretty straight forward to me

Obtuse does not look good on you.

That's not even a fair analogy. El G wasn't asking any of us to speak his native language and then getting butt-hurt when we didn't/couldn't.

He WAS conforming. That it isn't up to the standard of a native English speaker doesn't mean he isn't trying to conform. Did you speak fluent, flawless Vietnamese when you visited? Why not, you damn dirty selfish American? You should have, right? Conform to the norms/customs of the country in which one finds himself? When in Rome and all that?

THe pile-on was in bad taste, but typical, and not unexpected, unfortunately. But locking the thread because his grammar was less-than-perfect? That's just ****ty. And pretending it was because there was a pile-on. Puh-lease. That lie was more transparent than a window missing all its panes.

New low for INGO, that's for sure.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I posted in that thread. I mostly understood what he was trying to say.......I think. Aside from the poor writing skills most of the story didn't ring true or make sense to me.
    As I posted that thread, if he told the officer he had to remove his gun to access his wallet, and then presumably did so to show the officer his license, how was it that the officer didn't see his gun and later asked what he was carrying??

Because it was holstered/handled in a manner that masked the identifying characteristics?

Because El G didn't wave it around in front of the LEO so that said LEO could make a positive identification?

Because LEO may not have been familiar with the make/model even if he got a good look at it?

Because the LEO was just making small talk, doesn't know **** about firearms, and didn't want to appear to be a total :abused:?

Take yer pick.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Between this and theGM thread, as someone new to the board I have learned alot about some of the members here !
    Some things I like and some I don't

And I did not think the grammer police had a substation here but seems they do ? ie a board for common guys and gals with a common appritiation

I don't have the best grammer either, but I don't give a pooo what people think about it. I just want to get my point across on the issue at hand.

And if people have that much of a problem with him or anyones grammer, be a man and tell them to his face instead of being an internet warrior and just typing it !
    If you aint got the guts or the nuts to say it to someones face then it must not be worth saying then. May be wrong on that but I don't think so !

And if anything we all know there is atleast one cool cop in Indy

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Ok, first off... I'm sure a lot of the comments, and I know my comment, was directed at the story in the first place. There are all kinds of stories on INGO that revolve around LEO and citizen interactions, and while most of them are "unbelievable" they are still believable. This story is a case where I do not believe it, thus I commented, "Wow. Just, wow."

Now, if we're going to get to the heart of why THIS thread was started (which is clearly an attempt to "shame" other members) I would say that those who had a problem with his grammar, spelling and/or punctuation have just as much right to say it as he had to post his story. Also, please note, that the OP in that thread made sure to point out that he has been a Merrillville resident for 23 years. In 23 years even with a second language, I don't find it unreasonable at all to think someone should be able to form a complete thought that is easy to read and flows well. If he had been here two or three years, ok. At 23 years, that excuse is tired.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    1. Original thread was most likely edited down to 2 pages for content.
    2. I would never trust my life to a gun that I had never shot.
    3. The real police were much nicer than the grammar police in this story.
    4. The original thread was easier to read than a few others on INGO.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    WWS01D*

Scutter if you are sitting in a chaise lounge in the Caribbean with an umbreller'd drink and reading this, WHY?? What would you do?*

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Julianos in Kokomo has Carmel Bacon gelato. :drool:

Corner of Markland and Dixon Rd on the west side of town.

Burger King has a bacon sundae that a fat man on youtube really enjoyed.

Last I knew, the United States didn't have an official language...many are spoken and written here.

Ok, first off... I'm sure a lot of the comments, and I know my comment, was directed at the story in the first place. There are all kinds of stories on INGO that revolve around LEO and citizen interactions, and while most of them are "unbelievable" they are still believable. This story is a case where I do not believe it, thus I commented, "Wow. Just, wow."

Now, if we're going to get to the heart of why THIS thread was started (which is clearly an attempt to "shame" other members) I would say that those who had a problem with his grammar, spelling and/or punctuation have just as much right to say it as he had to post his story. Also, please note, that the OP in that thread made sure to point out that he has been a Merrillville resident for 23 years. In 23 years even with a second language, I don't find it unreasonable at all to think someone should be able to form a complete thought that is easy to read and flows well. If he had been here two or three years, ok. At 23 years, that excuse is tired.

There are plenty of native born, English only folks that can't put a simple thought together (and I've seen a few on here). I know a few people that have lived in the states for a decade or more than speak English very well but couldn't pass a test given by the grammar police on many forums. I read the thread linked and understood what the OP was saying, the first time. There have been dozens of threads written by people that are supposedly college educated that leave me :dunno:.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Hehummm.. I just re-read the thread. After doing this, I ask one thing: Were the responses in the thread really that bad? There were only a couple that were negative to his English. Mine was referring to the validity of the story, a couple of members asked about emissions tests, and some other random things pertaining to his story...

Why the need to come to his rescue as if he is the butthurt one?

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    I took a peak at the original thread. I understood what El Guero was saying just fine, even if I had to read a little slower.

The few comments making fun of him were completely uncalled for. He could have just as easily posted the entire thing in Spanish. For English being his second language, I have to say he's not that bad. I've even heard him speak, and I understand him well enough.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Why the need to come to his rescue as if he is the butthurt one?

"Butthurt one". I've never heard that expression. It makes me laugh.
    I'm also thinking that if anyone were truly "butthurt" I'm not only NOT coming to any rescue ... I'm moving in the other direction at a high rate of speed ... possibly backing away with my hands outstretched.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I was one of the first to post in that thread. I did not pick up on the fact that English was most likely the OP's second language, although now that I see his handle is El Guero, I probably should have made the connection. He certainly does better in English than I would in Spanish. I did not mean to insult or belittle the OP; but perhaps I did. I will apologize to him directly via PM. I did read the post in it's entirety, and the question I asked was asked in seriousness, not as a "jab" at El Guero.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So how about the native English speakers that can't figure out
    to, two, too
    there, their
    it's, its
    etc.
    Yup, took me a little longer to read. Didn't care anymore than I care about the above mistakes.
    Some people don't use periods. Or paragraphs.
    I just read the story. If it's bad, I move on.

Top Bottom