• ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    kludge:
    You are right that there is no exception in the sawed-off shotgun code for legal ownership but, get this, by definition an AOW is not, and never was, a shotgun. By legal definition, a shotgun must have a shoulder stock. Federal law defines a shotgun as "...a shoulder fired weapon...". With no stock, a firearm that fires shotgun shells is only classified as a Title I firearm. This is why AOW's in the form of short shotguns are legal in this state, because they are not now, and never were, shotguns. What's restricted in Indiana are "shotguns with barrels less than 18" or overall lengths of less than 26", or any weapon made from a shotgun that falls under these length guidelines". This is why the firearm in this thread is illegal in Indiana, because it once had a shoulder stock, so it is now a "weapon made from a shotgun".

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Also, I called Pop's and the gun is papered as a Short Barreled Shotgun and is on a Form 3. It must be sold to a resident of a state where SBS's are legal. ie: not here.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Back around 99-2000, before Popguns consolidated to one store, Mike had the new Mossberg 590 SBS's for sale to civilians(full speedfeed w/ 14" bbl), I actually put one in layaway to be my first CIII, but then started reading up on the IN law and realized I could lose a lot of money if they disapproved the xfer, luckily, he refunded my full deposit. At that time, he evidently thought that it was ok to sell SBS's, because he had two or three for sale.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    maybe i could do or get something like this when i move to az? anyone know?

Moving to AZ?
    Don't know anything about their gun laws.
    But here is a phrase you WILL learn to hate, " it's a dry heat"
    Well, so is my oven and you won't find me in there either!
    Spent a little time in and around Phoenix, MAN IT DO GET HOT THERE!

Enjoy!:thumbsup:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    kludge:
    You are right that there is no exception in the sawed-off shotgun code for legal ownership but, get this, by definition an AOW is not, and never was, a shotgun. By legal definition, a shotgun must have a shoulder stock. Federal law defines a shotgun as "...a shoulder fired weapon...". With no stock, a firearm that fires shotgun shells is only classified as a Title I firearm. This is why AOW's in the form of short shotguns are legal in this state, because they are not now, and never were, shotguns. What's restricted in Indiana are "shotguns with barrels less than 18" or overall lengths of less than 26", or any weapon made from a shotgun that falls under these length guidelines". This is why the firearm in this thread is illegal in Indiana, because it once had a shoulder stock, so it is now a "weapon made from a shotgun".

So if a person buys one of those Mossbergs with a pistol grip, which in Indiana is a "handgun" AFAIK, that never had a stock, and get apporoved for an AOW, he can cut the barrel off?

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    That is awesome.... you better have one hell of a strap and/or duct tape on that puppy though :)
    Ryan, check out my new sig line pic. Also, look through the NFA day recap thread and tell me what you think about Bigcraig's Serbu...it don't need no stinking strap or duct tape!!!:D

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Ryan, check out my new sig line pic. Also, look through the NFA day recap thread and tell me what you think about Bigcraig's Serbu...it don't need no stinking strap or duct tape!!!:D

Heh, it probably needs some impressive grip strength... which is alright... I can close the captains of crush 2 under competition standards...

Honestly I'd be afraid to fire something like that... probably due to the first time I ever fired a shotgun... dad let me wrest my cheek right on the stock and just laughed... lets just say I'll never do that again :) . I've had my pistol grip since the last Indy 1500 but have been a bit nervous about firing it.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    The Serbu was a blast to shoot.... It's nowhere near as brutal as it looks.

picture-853.jpg

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    DAMMIT!! I wish I knew that before I sold my Remmy!! *cries and beats ground*

Seriously... as someone who's still relatively small... I had no problem controlling it. Actually, I was pretty accurate with it with 3" slugs.

Watermelons fear me.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Now that I think about it Ryan..... The Serbu requires a monster grip to control it. Just look at how ripped I am in that photo..... ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Now that I think about it Ryan..... The Serbu requires a monster grip to control it. Just look at how ripped I am in that photo..... ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Heh but it does have a handle... the handle helps a lot more than it just resting in your palm with fingers attempting to hold it.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Shooting standard 2 3/4 field loads out of the Serbu is a piece of cake.

Shooting slugs and 3" magnum 00 buck is a different story.

Top Bottom