• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Glock 23 one in the pipe all the time holstered in the rare instance that it is in a the lock box in the car, I'll second the Raven Vanguard to keep the trigger covered in the box or as a awesome deep cover holster.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I keep my G22 slide closed, chamber empty. magazine loaded. Waking from a slumber i don't really trust myself with a live one in the chamber. Racking the slide will certainly ensure that i am awake enough to hit what i am shooting at. Plus, i won't be calling out "who's there" or " stop i'm armed "Hopefully the sound of the slide will be enough.

This is exactly what i do. Slap rack bang is trained motion for me and this does not interupt my oda loop.

bobby bobolink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Paradise Bay
    Well, i guess i should fess up; i'm such a sound sleeper that it really doesn't matter if a round is chambered or not. The bad guy has probably shot me already, or tried to swearing as he pulls the trigger and just gets a "click". Seriously though, i cannot disagree with keeping one in the chamber, maybe i will start doing just that. Gee, maybe i should also start carrying that way:):

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If it were me, I'd keep it loaded and ready in the safe. If you're concerned about an ND, practice keeping your finger off the trigger. :twocents:

:+1:

Nothing wrong with being safe, but to me this just seems like more thing to have to do in an already high stress situation should you need the gun for protection. Just my :twocents:. Again, not knocking you for being safe, that is great. I just think that is what the gunvault is for. Other than that just keep finger off trigger until sigts are on target.

09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Ok well this went well beyond my question. Thank you to some who actually answered my questions. And foor those who judged my for want to keep my gun like this what gives you the right. Esp the one who said I shouldnt own a hand gun if I was worried about this when you admitted you have ND of you own in the past. Accident happens I am just trying to prevent one. The reason I want to keep the gun like this is the drawer the safe is in does on open far enough for my to open the safe all the way; with the drawer fully opened it allows me to reach my hand in and pull the gun out but no allow me to see, plus it would be dark assuming the break in is at night.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    If it were me, I'd keep it loaded and ready in the safe. If you're concerned about an ND, practice keeping your finger off the trigger. :twocents:

I would have to agree to this. It is like carry concealed in public without a round chambered. It is better than not having protection, but it seems to me that I would work around the issue so that you have the best situation possible on quickly and safely defending yourself. Do not mean to be judgemental, but I just have to think there is a better way than leaving the slide back. Also, some guns will close the slide if bumped hard enough.

To answer your question - it is like what people have said - it will not hurt the springs.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I have a Kel-Tec P-11 as my carry gun HD weapon (first HD weapon is the shotgun). But no there are no safeties or extra nuts and bolts on it. So it stays loaded with full mag and one in the chamber. No fuss no muss

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    If you are that worried about an ND at night, I would get a hammer operated gun for the bedside safe. Get one that is single action only, and has a thumb safety.

This will allow you to keep one in the chamber and lock it, that way you would need to disengage the safety before it would fire. It's easierthsn leaving it locked and the mag out.

I think what you are doing Noe is fine but could be too cumbersom if someone didn't wake you up till they were close to your room.

To each his own I always say, I have a few guns with no safety, double action only, and single like the XDm... I feel safe keeping one chambered. But I know at night I won't cause any problems when reaching for em.

09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    No a full mag is in and the slide is locked back. All I have to do is drop the slide as im raising the weapon is if there is a target that needs to be engaged, I squeeze the trigger and boom.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    If you don't have the presence of mind not to have a negligent discharge, what makes you think that you'll have the presence of mind to insert the mag and drop the slide? Or to properly identify and engage a threat? By keeping your gun with the slide back, and no mag inserted, you are introducing more fumbling to your response action, not less. A negligent discharge is more likely, not less. Responding to a threat in the middle of the night should be a simple act of picking up the gun and engaging the target, after properly identifying your target.

A gun kept for home defense needs to be kept in a "ready" condition, IMHO. The XD is not going to go off without you gripping it and pulling the trigger. If you don't trust yourself not to have an ND with the XD, then I suggest that you trade it for a pistol with a manual safety. That way, you could keep it completely loaded, but introduce a safety step that is much less awkward than inserting a mag and dropping the slide at 2 am. XD's are available with a thumb safety, if you like the XD.

As for hurting the spring, no, having the slide back all the time shouldn't affect the spring's strength. I'd seriously reconsider keeping your pistol in this condition, however, for the above reasons.

Edit: I posted before you responded and said that you keep a mag in it. Still, I'd keep it ready with a loaded mag and one in the chamber, as do most people. The extra step of dropping the slide is unnecessary.
    +1...What he said!!!!

Coydog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Fort Greenwood
    Ideally, there should be someone awake at all times while others in the house are sleeping. I have a 98lb sentry who sleeps with one eye and both ears open. When she speaks, I listen. In eight years, she has only alerted me twice. I have all the time necessary to select assemble and load what ever tools are required. The urgency of the alert is expressed to the extent that only observation has been required. I've yet to draw much less load a weapon in response. I am a sound sleeper also. With the big girl on duty, it is easy to sleep.

I met a gentleman at the range one day who was having difficulty clearing his Ruger 9mm for the range officer. While I was assisting him I noticed his hands were too small to even reach the slide stop to lock it back once he managed to clear the weapon. I suggested trading for something that was a better fit. He didn't want to trade and he didn't want to keep it loaded so I suggested the same remedy as the OP uses.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bad things happen when people don't keep their guns in a ready state:

YouTube - GUN SAFETY Plaxico Burress of New York Giants negligent discharge

His gun doesn't have a safety, I would be worried too if I was a heavy sleeper and I have problems with being coherent when woke up... Maybe a snap cap or safety round could be a good answer that way the clip is in the gun.... but as we know this is about ones comfort level.

If you don't feel comfortable handling a firearm while you are still partially asleep then why even keep it by your bed?

I think there are a lot of questions that come into play but safety is always the main concern and if you don't feel safe with the gun when you are partially asleep then maybe you need a gun with a thumb or mechanical safety device.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I keep my G22 slide closed, chamber empty. magazine loaded. Waking from a slumber i don't really trust myself with a live one in the chamber. Racking the slide will certainly ensure that i am awake enough to hit what i am shooting at. Plus, i won't be calling out "who's there" or " stop i'm armed "Hopefully the sound of the slide will be enough.

I used to think the same thing. I even went a step further and left the magazine out beside the gun. I had the same thought, I would have to be awake enough...
    Imagine my wife's surprise when she startled me, I had the magazine inserted, slide racked, and weapon pointed at my wife before I was awake enough to realize it was her.

It's fine.

Gee, I hope you didn't hurt yourself posting that long thought out reply.

Top Bottom