• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Is it ok for my to leave my gun with the slide back? I mean its compressing the recoil spring so Im not sure if its a good idea or not. My though is in the midde of the night I dont want to have a ND as I am coming to and getting my hang gun out of the safe.

2010-12-03_13-48-02_796.jpg

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    It won't hurt the firearm or wear out the spring. Springs are worn out by the "act" of compressing and releasing (movement). In either state they are not wearing out. Same with magazine springs, etc. I'm not a scientist, but I do play one on the internet. ;)

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    That would work, I'm assuming the mag in the gun is loaded:dunno:, I would rather have it in a holster loaded.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I read a statement from Beretta that agrees what combat45acp stated. As long as the spring is in a steady state, they said that you don't have to worry about wear on it.

09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Yes there is a full mag in the gun, the holster I currently use will not fit in the safe, its a micro vault biometric. Its a great just one button press and a swipe of a finger.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If it were me, I'd keep it loaded and ready in the safe. If you're concerned about an ND, practice keeping your finger off the trigger. :twocents:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I dont see how this is going to prevent a ND.
    If you dont want any ND KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER.
    It should be automatic anytime you pick up a gun no matter if its loaded or not.
    IMO you are better working on keeping your finger away from the trigger rather than finding "tricks" who are supposed to help you prevent any ND.

You can keep the chamber empty if you are so affraid but the slide back like this doesnt add anything.
    Just practice, practice and practice again having your finger off the trigger and you wont have any problem.

bobby bobolink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Paradise Bay
    I keep my G22 slide closed, chamber empty. magazine loaded. Waking from a slumber i don't really trust myself with a live one in the chamber. Racking the slide will certainly ensure that i am awake enough to hit what i am shooting at. Plus, i won't be calling out "who's there" or " stop i'm armed "Hopefully the sound of the slide will be enough.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I liken this to leaving a loaded cylinder open on a revolver. I don't suppose it hurts anything, but seems unnecessary. That said, you received a good answer to question about spring compression.

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    You wouldn't carry the gun with the slide back so why would you store it for self defense that way.It should have one in the pipe with the safety on.Also people I know carry without a chambered round because the don't feel comfortable with it but to me it is an extra step when seconds can count.As I always tell them when they ask,"if your afraid to carry with a chambered round you should probably carry a revolver"IMO.

patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    there are a lot of hanguns in a lot of well trained/seasoned owners, and that alone makes the owner dangerous person if need be, but there is NOTHING more dangerous than a firearm in the hands of someone is not prepared to handle one, if you are that concerned about a ND (i have had two but that's for another topic...lol) maybe you shouldn't own a firearm, not to be a ass but just because at this time you don't seem ready for it...especially when all you have to do is cock it then hit your safety to take the single action out of it...take the time to work on your techniques and safety practices...

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    You wouldn't carry the gun with the slide back so why would you store it for self defense that way.It should have one in the pipe with the safety on.Also people I know carry without a chambered round because the don't feel comfortable with it but to me it is an extra step when seconds can count.As I always tell them when they ask,"if your afraid to carry with a chambered round you should probably carry a revolver"IMO.

Its an XD... So I am not sure what safety that would be.... I would suggest its locked back for easy loading and racking. I wouldn't store it like this but I can see the value to someone concerned about an ND when removing it from the safe.

No, springs R value is not diminished by compression. The metal should be able to maintain its stability, however over time if kept in this fashion there is a lot of heat deviation I think it might cause some weakening of the R value.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    What are those kydex trigger guard thingies that spawned a capitalism vs. rip-off thread a while back? That might address the OP's concern about a ND and still fit in his safe.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Is it ok for my to leave my gun with the slide back? I mean its compressing the recoil spring so Im not sure if its a good idea or not. My though is in the midde of the night I dont want to have a ND as I am coming to and getting my hang gun out of the safe.

If that's the weapon you would ATTEMPT to retrieve in the middle of the night from your safe, I'm not so sure it really matters what condition you store it in.

If you're concerned about a ND, I would suggest making it a safe weapon and making it a point to have close to you when you sleep, carry around the house, ect, until you are comfortable with keeping your finger off the trigger. A month or so of handling a striker fired weapon cocked without a round in the chamber without a " click", might build the confidence needed. At least it will give you time to learn to keep that finger off the trigger !

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I keep my G22 slide closed, chamber empty. magazine loaded. Waking from a slumber i don't really trust myself with a live one in the chamber.
    I keep my main carry weapon on my nightstand with one in the chamber, and safety on, which is the same way I carry it, EVERYDAY. I have practiced flipping the safety off thousands of times, so I'm confident if an emergency were to happen, I could efficiently use my weapon in a defensive manner. When my alarm goes off at 5:15 a.m. I get up, grab my cell phone, pick up my pistol, spin to the right, so as not to muzzle sweep my still sleeping wife, and head out. My weapon will not fire unless I pull the trigger, and will not fire if a round isn't chambered. I would not feel like I had my weapon within arms reach, if I knew a round wasn't in the pipe. I understand not being comfortable with carrying one in the pipe, but, to be as ready as you can be for a bad situation, a person should do everything possible to get comfortable with it.:twocents:

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I keep my main carry weapon on my nightstand with one in the chamber, and safety on, which is the same way I carry it, EVERYDAY. I have practiced flipping the safety off thousands of times, so I'm confident if an emergency were to happen, I could efficiently use my weapon in a defensive manner. When my alarm goes off at 5:15 a.m. I get up, grab my cell phone, pick up my pistol, spin to the right, so as not to muzzle sweep my still sleeping wife, and head out. My weapon will not fire unless I pull the trigger, and will not fire if a round isn't chambered. I would not feel like I had my weapon within arms reach, if I knew a round wasn't in the pipe. I understand not being comfortable with carrying one in the pipe, but, to be as ready as you can be for a bad situation, a person should do everything possible to get comfortable with it.:twocents:

I want to point out, that his gun doesn't look like a thumb safety laden device...

Top Bottom