• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's why I was asking.......this just seems like it is against every rule my dad ever taught me. Anyone care to teach my why you are suppose to carry a 1911 this way? I personally don't even chamber a shell when I carry my SR40 or similar weapon.......should I?

Guess it goes back to my hunting days.....I always unloaded the chamber on my gun when walking with others, climbing fences and stands. Maybe I am just too safe....if there is such a thing.

Remember, both of those pistols are pretty much in the same condition in regards to being in battery. You just cant see the "hammer" under the load of the spring in the upper gun. I felt the same way as you until I had an epiphany and realized my 1911 cocked and locked is in the same condition as my Glock.

And DEFINITELY carry one in the pipe. I cant find the story today, but I read a story the other day that will probably make you reconsider your empty chamber. (if anyone else can find it please share. I dotn see it on Facebook anymore)

Long story short: Guy ran out to grab something real quick but forgot to grab his gun off the desk. all he had was an empty holster. He was sitting at the light when a man approached from the passenger side. while he was being distracted another attacker ambushed him from his 8 oclock position, opened the door and held a knife to his throat and demanded his wallet. Victim acted like he was going for his wallet and instead grabbed his EDC blade. He had to hold the attacker's knife hand against the car roof while he retaliated with his blade. He had one hand to work with. Had that been his gun with nothing in the pipe he would have been helpless with no easy way to get a bullet in the chamber.

I know at first it sounds safer to not carry a round in the pipe, but if you are that concerned that the gun could accidentally discharge you need to carry a different pistol. A properly maintained modern pistol carried in the right holster and handled properly will NOT discharge on its own. (cue Kirk's magic 870 story)

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    That's why I was asking.......this just seems like it is against every rule my dad ever taught me. Anyone care to teach my why you are suppose to carry a 1911 this way? I personally don't even chamber a shell when I carry my SR40 or similar weapon.......should I?

Guess it goes back to my hunting days.....I always unloaded the chamber on my gun when walking with others, climbing fences and stands. Maybe I am just too safe....if there is such a thing.
    should you ever need to use your firearm you probably won't have time to rack the slide. Carry a gun that you feel comfortable with the safety features, and keep a good trigger guard covering holster. The only time a gun is unsafe is when you break a rule. If it's in the holster, your finger/other crud, cannot be placed on the trigger.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Remember, both of those pistols are pretty much in the same condition in regards to being in battery. You just cant see the "hammer" under the load of the spring in the upper gun. I felt the same way as you until I had an epiphany and realized my 1911 cocked and locked is in the same condition as my Glock...

One observation - in my experience, the trigger pull on a 1911 is shorter and lighter than the typical Glock. Be sure that the safety is on, and practice turning it off while drawing - it's easy.

Long Rider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2014
    Franklin
    I worked as a security guard in a retail setting for a couple of years at night. I carried a 1911, cocked and locked. Many well meaning young people expressed a concern about it. A lot of people don't understand the concept. Seems many of the younger generation are not familiar with the 1911.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    OP, one thing to understand here is the basic difference between single and double action - I didn't see that explained yet. 1911s are single action. The trigger will only drop the hammer from the cocked position, it will not pull the hammer back from the dropped position as a double action does. That is why 1911s are carried cocked and locked. Double actions can be carried with the hammer down (de-cocked) and still be ready because you can pull the trigger and make it go boom. In either case, either single or double action, a round has to be in the chamber to be ready to fire.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    What would you pick for a first 1911.....Magnum Research 1911 or Ruger SR1911 or should I just go all in on first one?

Magnum research between the two

And here's another vote for carrying one in the pipe, and another vote for a condition 1 1911 over any other ways of carrying

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, my :twocents: is that IF ya want a Colt 1911, GET a Colt 1911.

Now that's kind of harsh. It's called "being prepared". If he rolls around in gravelly mud wrestling bad guys for a half hour and locks up one SERPA, he can always go to the second SERPA and still have a decent chance to shoot himself....because of the SERPA...and failing that, he's still got his cocked and locked tacti-finger.
    :rofl:

Ah ya mean like THIS 'Official Tacticool Club Member'! (posted previously in this thread):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE

Please take 'serious' note of requisite 'tacticool black T-shirt' and obligatory camo hat. :laugh:

And he's not even using a SERPA CQC. It was a 5.11 thumb-drive holster. Have several CQC's, no problem with 'em IF one keeps coon-finger OFF trigger until appropriate time (reference safety rules for further info!)

Be sure that the safety is on, and practice turning it off while drawing - it's easy.
    Respectully, I'll dissent. Safety is thumbed off AS the barrel comes to target, at least down range. NOT "while drawing". 'Subtle difference'? Maybe.

However, had the 'Tacticool Member' in the above video clip kept his booger hook OFF the thumb safety UNTIL the barrel was on target or 'down range', that negligent discharge would have been perhaps 'embarrassing' but not potentially lethal.

Now, the REAL question is: Is 'Official Tacticool Club Member' ALSO a member of Open Carry Texas? :laugh: INGO? :lmfao:

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Still, after all all this time and seeing the video a dozen or more times, my favorite passage is:

"After I shot myself, my training took over. I called my parents...."

Taurahe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Greenwood
    Its all been said before I got here. Take heed of the wisdom before you and think long and hard on it. The decisions you make today can have a drastic impact on your tomorrow.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    This is not a noobie question or one from someone who has never owned a 1911 (had two), but how do most 1911 owners lower the hammer after in condition 1? Please don't tell me all drop the mag and eject the one in the tube (can't do that with the safety on) and very few have a decocker.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Some pinch the hammer with 2 fingers, pull the trigger, and lower the hammer all the way or to half cock

thats the most dangerous way since the hammer can slip the easiest and you can have an accidental discharge, and the slide can flu fubar your 2 fingers

"Safest" way is to put your thumb between the hammer and the slide, pull the trigger, let the sear disengage the hammer, then let go of the grip safety, then proceed to lower the hammer and remove your thumb, get it down to half cock again

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    This is not a noobie question or one from someone who has never owned a 1911 (had two), but how do most 1911 owners lower the hammer after in condition 1? Please don't tell me all drop the mag and eject the one in the tube (can't do that with the safety on) and very few have a decocker.
    I'm not understanding your question. Why would you feel the need to do that? If I'm going to lower the hammer on one of my 1911's it's usually because I'm expecting it to fire
    or I'm unloading it for some reason, like to clean it. I can't think of a reason why I would want to decock it while leaving it loaded.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm saying that no he is not carrying that 1911 cocked. He is carrying both of them cocked and I would think Cocked and Locked. Been done for years, designed that way,

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    What would you pick for a first 1911.....Magnum Research 1911 or Ruger SR1911 or should I just go all in on first one?

First off I read your above posts. But hunting and defensive firearms are different. While your dad taught you well I see your thinking. I was taught the same but about the only time I may unload mine is climbing in a stand or something as I have seen a shot gun dropped out of a tree go off! So it just depends on the situation with my hunting gun honestly...

But to your question on which pistol to buy, get what you want basically. But making an informed choice is what I'll encourage... I think there are lots of guys here that will steer you right based on budget and things. So do some research. Nothing wrong with the guns you mentioned btw. But check out a springfeild range officer and see what you think.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

All firearms are always loaded, rule one.

By leaving that chamber dry, it demonstrates you do not obey the 4 firearm safety rules, because you think that gun is unloaded. It's a firearm, not a toy, keep one in the pipe or don't carry. You were taught wrong. The practices you describe are specific to hunting with firearms of questionable quality.

A 1911 with the hammer back is no different than a glock with the trigger forward.

Top Bottom