• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I bought a box of mags (the Uzi ones and an M11/9 mag are for sale in the classifieds), and this barrel was with them. Im assuming it's an Uzi barrel, it looks just like them, but Ive never seen one with this exact profile. Can anyone identify it for me?

2012-08-30_22-46-48_765.jpg

2012-08-30_22-47-19_225.jpg

2012-08-30_22-47-31_603.jpg

2012-08-30_23-08-49_351.jpg

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I believe that is the SMG barrel that has been modified to fit a semi-auto receiver. The semi-auto has a ring inside the receiver that prevents the standard barrel from fitting. Since the semi-auto ATF approved barrel is 16 inches, they had to modify the receiver to prevent the use of the 10 inch standard barrel which violates an illegal law.

The standard 10 inch Uzi barrel has a full locking ring around it as well as what I believe are alignment bumps on the barrel. The barrel you show has the half round lock ring of the semi-auto, and it looks like the rest of the barrel that fits into the receiver was turned down to fit into the semi-auto.

To legally use it, you would have to pay the $200 NFA blackmail fee with resulting paperwork and other stuff.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I believe that is the SMG barrel that has been modified to fit a semi-auto receiver. The semi-auto has a ring inside the receiver that prevents the standard barrel from fitting. Since the semi-auto ATF approved barrel is 16 inches, they had to modify the receiver to prevent the use of the 10 inch standard barrel which violates an illegal law.

The standard 10 inch Uzi barrel has a full locking ring around it as well as what I believe are alignment bumps on the barrel. The barrel you show has the half round lock ring of the semi-auto, and it looks like the rest of the barrel that fits into the receiver was turned down to fit into the semi-auto.

To legally use it, you would have to pay the $200 NFA blackmail fee with resulting paperwork and other stuff.

It is SMG barrel. And no it is not (or at least not fully) modified to fit a semi Uzi, check the barrels and restrictor ring here
    UZI Talk - Full Auto Conversions
    and you can see the difference. The semi barrel is not as thick on one end to slip in the ring.

As far as the locking ring you mention is concerned. I need to check my Uzi SMG barrels. Just looking at the picture, I'd say it is a standard SMG barrel but I might be wrong.

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    I understand that putting a sub 10 inch barrel on it makes it an SBR, but you can just buy short barrel upper for something like an AR and that requires no modifications. Was the modification to the semi receiver required to allow them to be imported or something?

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Looks to me like an SMG barrel thats been modified or one made from scratch to fit the semi. The ends look much more square than the SMG barrels from IMI are usually. Hard to tell from pics though.
    The blocking ring for the semi was put in there for import regs and to make ATF happy. You can legally remove the ring but installing a short barrel is a no-no without the paperwork being done right. The ring was also part of a feed ramp intended to improve feeding on the semi autos. It turned out to be a good mod and a lot of the full auto guys have had the ramp installed minus the blocking ring.
    Hope that helps

Frank

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I compared it side by side with the barrel in my factory Vector Uzi SMG and they're visually identical. So, unless Vector modified the barrels they used in their SMG, I'd say it is an unmodified SMG barrel. I will post pics when I get a chance.

Top Bottom