• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I'm shooting moderately light loads, 115gr Berry's RN over 4.6gr of Unique. Looks like the extractor didn't do it's job. Case wasn't stuck in the chamber, just didn't make it out of the way. I inspected the rims, couldn't find anything wrong with them. Extractor also looks good. Happened three times in 200 rounds. Am I not cycling hard enough?

Y2QnH.jpg

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    My guess without looking the load's data up would be, yes, it appears a couple cases may of been slightly undercharged and it not having enough to cycle fully. The M&Ps must have pretty strong recoil springs, my M&P does this on occasion too, amybe 1-2 rounds out of 300+, but with factory ammo as I've not shot reloads through it

ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    I think you might be right ?? .... I have had a similar issue with my 1911. Is there anyway you can shoot across a chronograph and check them ??

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Sounds kind of light to me, but I don't load enough 9mm to be sure off the top of my head. Does it ever do this with factory loads? If it doesn't, I'd be inclined to bump it up a couple tenths and see how that works.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Had the same thing on my Witness 9mm...had to buy lighter recoil spring to shoot domestic
    Ammo cause the original was too tight. Reloads were not an option.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Looks like you've diagnosed your own problem. Lyman's lists 5.0 grains as max under a 120gr cast lead bullet, so you can probably go a little higher than that with the 115gr plated. Or, you might just try 100 rounds at 4.8 and 5.0 to see how they do? How is the felt recoil of the current load?

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    sounds like a light load to me. Might try to bump it up a little and try again with a small batch. Also is the gun pretty new? I have seen guns with a tight spring and they take 500-1000 rounds to loosen up. Then when they do you can go lighter on the powder and they cycle just fine. But that is a trial and error process.

Lupin3rd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Are you sure you want to be using Unique? I mean, if you load rifle and pistol it is kind of nice only stocking a single powder type but Unique is awfully dirty.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Are you sure you want to be using Unique? I mean, if you load rifle and pistol it is kind of nice only stocking a single powder type but Unique is awfully dirty.

He's shooting plated bullets and the maker recommends using cast bullet loads, something Unique powder is great at.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers

I'm confused by your statement. Are you saying that Unique is a powder that can be used for rifle and pistol loads? I use Unique frequently for my 9mm target loads behind 115gr plated PowerBond and I know it makes a fine shotgun powder for light target loads but I have seen no recipes for rifle loads. :dunno:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'm confused by your statement. Are you saying that Unique is a powder that can be used for rifle and pistol loads? I use Unique frequently for my 9mm target loads behind 115gr plated PowerBond and I know it makes a fine shotgun powder for light target loads but I have seen no recipes for rifle loads. :dunno:

Unique powder is used quite frequently for cast loads in rifle cartridges of modest capacity. If you don't have the Lyman reloading manual, you might consider picking one up. In addition to many jacketed loads for the cartridges they list data on, they have many cast bullet loads, in which Unique powder is used quite often.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I'm going to agree with the light load theory. My favorite load I worked up is 5.2 grains of Unique using the 115 gr. Berry's plated. Velocities hover about 1050 fps out of my M&P and Glock and jump up to 1200 fps in my carbines. Haven't had a problem with the plating flaking off or fouling and they are accurate.

Disclaimer: This is what works for me and may not work for you. Always start at the minimum and work up from there!

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Had that problem with my XD45. Load data said 4.1 is lowest but 4.2 of CLAYS will work.

Bump it a grain at a time if you want to keep it light and work up from there.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Had that problem with my XD45. Load data said 4.1 is lowest but 4.2 of CLAYS will work.

Bump it a grain at a time if you want to keep it light and work up from there.

I'm sure he meant a TENTH of a grain at a time. ;)

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    yes...TENTH of a grain at a time...dont bump a full grain at a time! Its easy to add a bit more powder slowly. Its much harder to reattatch your face after the gun blows up ;)

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    YES, absolutely, 0.1gr (one tenth) at a time, best way to adjust load.

Not 1.0gr (typo) at a time, specially with CLAYS or TITEGROUP.

Top Bottom