is there a meat locker that will turn my hog to brats?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Im in south central indiana and looking to have a hog i bought turned to brATWURST's and maybe other fine sausages. Any idea on a place that might do this? Thanks a bunch

Porter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    Putnam Co
    Try clause custom meats in Indianapolis, not sure on spelling formerly Klemms I know they will do deer so I am sure they will do hog. Authentic German place excellent sausage. 3176321963 here is the number.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Moody meats in (several locations, actual butcher shop is in Ladoga)
    Miller's in Waynetown used to do a lot of brats; I'm not sure what they are doing now.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Not to derail... but I have always wandered..... Do you just drop off a live animal at these places, and then pick up yummy bacon (and brats) a few days later? How does that work?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Moody is A) Central IN only... And B) VERY very proud of their wares.

Yeah the closest is in Greenwood. And I hear what you are saying on product prices. They have now entered the world of marketing to the burbs rather than just butchering/producing food.

But their butcher prices are not much higher than anyone else (ie deer processing only a bit more than the smaller facility we go to) and they do make some good sausages.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Not to derail... but I have always wandered..... Do you just drop off a live animal at these places, and then pick up yummy bacon (and brats) a few days later? How does that work?

Wild boar and deer not so much...

My 1650lbs cows are much easier to get into the back of the butcher shop when I let them walk vs dragging their asses in... Lol I kid

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

It may also be influenced by regulation. If any of it is going to be resold, it has to be slaughtered at an approved facility. For home use, I'm not sure if there are any specific regulations. Obviously deer can be brought in after death and field dressing.

the butcher needs a kill floor separate from their final processing to be safe, but they conversely wouldn't want a carcass brought in that wasn't handled properly immediately after the kill

I'm not sure what the regs are on bringing in portions and asking them to further process (ie sausage or smoking)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Of course you know that REAL German bratwurst is made with 15-20% beef or veal...right? The pork stuff is just fancy sausage...and damned tasty ta boot.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Im in south central indiana and looking to have a hog i bought turned to brATWURST's and maybe other fine sausages. Any idea on a place that might do this? Thanks a bunch

How far south are you located? Kenny's Custom Meats in Mooresville has also treated me right.

Yeah, that is basically how it works. Most have a day that they slaughter on so I normally drop off whenever that is for their convenience. If you are doing a true cured bacon or ham though, you have to wait more than a couple of days. I have a friend who makes phenomenal cured bacon/ham/sausage so I always just get my pork bellies and hams fresh and have him do them.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Hog into a brat

harley_davidson_custom_black_rear_view_wallpaper_-_1024x768.jpg

into

?

Top Bottom