Is the ongoing OC vs CC debate as polarizing as it seems?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How I carry...

• Total voters

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    What is the point of this thread again? :rolleyes:

Hell, even I am getting tired of this debate. It seems every spring there are droves of new OC/CC posts and yes I was quite guilty of that when I joined in '11 but I guess I have "been there and done that" when it comes to arguing my side all the time.

There are several OC focused lawsuits that are going through the Indiana court system right now and I guess that is one source of the continual discussion but really, at this point what new ground is there to break?

And yet here you are posting in this "pointless" thread! :D If you're getting tired of the ongoing discussion, just roll your eyes, ignore the thread and move on. I think you're missing the point of this thread was for all of us to just get along. ;)

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    I carry a full sized gun (Beretta 96) so truly concealing isn't really ever an option for me. I carry in a Remora IWB holster, if my shirt is tucked, then I OC, If my shirt is not tucked then I CC and print horribly. It all depends on wardrobe for me, nothing more, nothing less.

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    I OC for various reasons, but mainly because of the comfort. I have very painful arthritis in my hands, particularly in my left hand. That makes it harder to get things out of the way to draw when I CC. I also carry a full sized .45 which doesn't conceal well.

I also in the camp that doesn't care HOW you carry. Whatever you want to do is fine with me. It's a lot like religion, do what you want just don't try to push your beliefs off on me.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I do both depending on the situation. If I am on "my time" I generally OC, since I almost always have my shirts tucked in. If I am somewhere that I can get fired, I CC very well. ;) If I go somewhere like the mall (as little as possible, but sometimes unavoidable) or other places that are clearly posted, I will untuck my shirt and sloppy CC.

I used to get involved with the debate trying to prove my side, but lately I just avoid it altogether. Most of the arguments have already been made, and it's up to the individual to decide how they choose to carry. Just don't tell me how I "should" carry, and I will return the favor.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    "CC all the time".

Does this mean one is always carrying a concealed weapon whenever they go out?

Or does it mean that when they carry a weapon, it is always concealed?

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    "Is the ongoing OC vs CC debate as polarizing as it seems?"

The darn poll questions don't even speak to the
    title of this thread. so, I chose bacon over feelings.

Thanks

Mark

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Let's just drop all the OC vs. CC nonsense, and all just effing carry.

I do just effing carry. What drives so many folks bonkers is that I don't effing cover it up. ;)

I'm not talking about the general population, either, you rarely hear about them going bonkers over an unhidden gun.

Far more often it's other gun carriers who seem to place concealment as priority #1 and the actual carrying of a firearm somewhat lower on their list.

They invariably claim that their way alone is just "common sense" and that not hiding one's gun from view is blatantly stupid, or worse, based upon some personal deficiency.

However, they also tend to flee any further discussion in a huff when challenged to support these feelings or claims. :D

And that last part alone makes it worth maintaining the perpetual defense of OC. :rockwoot:

But I have no issue with a person carrying however they choose to for any or no reason at all. :yesway:

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I tend to "sloppy conceal" in that I don't particularly try to conceal (I carry OWB for comfort), but I still usually have a cover. I just don't bother about it if the wind blows my shirt up or something.
    ^^^^this.....i just don't care as long as I have it secured on me in a safe manner.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    "Is the ongoing OC vs CC debate as polarizing as it seems?"

The darn poll questions don't even speak to the
    title of this thread. so, I chose bacon over feelings.

Thanks

Mark

That's because the poll isn't meant as the center of the discussion, it's only meant to see if most people are indeed polarized into one group or the other or if most people fall in middle, which most people seem to thus far. Also it was meant to encourage discussion. I tried wording it as fairly as I could, but it's impossible to please everyone.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    It used to be I'd CC all the time - except when I couldn't carry at all. Now, if I'm around the house, I sometimes don't bother to cover up, but I still CC any time I'm out of my yard.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Read my sig line. any more it's about 90% OC for me, as I really just don't give a **** what people think. Do I ever get hassled about it? Rarely. Do I have quite a few education opportunities? Yes. Am I polite when I carry? Of course! Do I give a flying **** how you carry? Not a damn bit, as long as you are safe about it!

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Beware of generalizations.

I CC for social and practical reasons, but I'm a live and let live kind of guy.

For those who feel that OC is more comfortable and/or gives them a tactical advantage, I respect and encourage that choice. For those who OC "because they can" or to invite an argument or confrontation, I'm not yet convinced that they are helping the cause, but don't see the need to force my opinion on them (as long as they do likewise).

I agree, LP1. JFC, IMO. :D

As LP1 has noted, IMO it's more the 'why' someone is carrying, whether than whether that carry method is CC, OC or some combination of the two.

So, perhaps the question is - how is it possible for SOME people to go multiple decades with zero problems, and SOME other folks to 'regularly' (whatever time frame that means) have consistent problems? Just a 'string of bad (or good) luck'? Highly doubtful.

ALL LEO's (and Security, and Managers, etc.) are just 'bad people that have it out for gun owners'? Ridiculous, as that wouldn't explain some folks having zero problems, ever.

The answer wouldn't appear to be the gun itself as gun owners carry a vast array of guns, from 'tiny' to 'huge. Nor would the answer appear to be physical size, as we're compromised of all manner of body shapes and sizes.

No, the answer would appear to be - act and carry appropriately for the situation you're in at the time, and don't be confrontational about it.

One's manner of dress, one's demeanor, one's very 'attitude' toward carrying appear to ALL be factors, as well as the gun one carries.

Of course, it can also be noted that acting appropriately and not be confrontational unnecessarily is sound advice whenever one is in the public realm.

Last edited:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington

As LP1 has noted, IMO it's more the 'why' someone is carrying, whether than whether that carry method is CC, OC or some combination of the two.

So, perhaps the question is - how is it possible for SOME people to go multiple decades with zero problems, and SOME other folks to 'regularly' (whatever time frame that means) have consistent problems? Just a 'string of bad (or good) luck'? Highly doubtful.

ALL LEO's (and Security, and Managers, etc.) are just 'bad people that have it out for gun owners'? Ridiculous, as that wouldn't explain some folks having zero problems, ever.

The answer wouldn't appear to be the gun itself as gun owners carry a vast array of guns, from 'tiny' to 'huge. Nor would the answer appear to be physical size, as we're compromised of all manner of body shapes and sizes.

No, the answer would appear to be - act and carry appropriately for the situation you're in at the time, and don't be confrontational about it.

One's manner of dress, one's demeanor, one's very 'attitude' toward carrying appear to ALL be factors, as well as the gun one carries.

Of course, it can also be noted that acting appropriately and not be confrontational unnecessarily is sound advice whenever one is in the public realm.
    I have to agree with this 100%! The only time I've ever been approached by LEO, granted it was a very unprofessional encounter, was when I was dressed very sloppily. I was getting ready to paint, wearing nasty t shirt and shorts Monroe County Sheriff Deputy decided to take it upon himself to preach his opinion on the matter. There's a thread about it somewhere. I would like to say that I do not agree with the way we citizens are treated, but I can understand it. I personally don't think that a legal carrier should be harassed just because how they dress... tends to make it an elitist activity IMO. I don't care at all how someone is dressed if they are carrying, I will admit that my SA ratchets up a notch or two if they are dressed in typical urban, gang banger fashion, but I don't run to the nearest LEO and make a MWAG call either.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Read my sig line. any more it's about 90% OC for me, as I really just don't give a **** what people think. Do I ever get hassled about it? Rarely. Do I have quite a few education opportunities? Yes. Am I polite when I carry? Of course! Do I give a flying **** how you carry? Not a damn bit, as long as you are safe about it!

Totally agree with this post.

I will disagree with this portion here, the only time i have had a confrontation with LEO was when i was in dress slacks, dress shirt and dress shoes. I also had on my Serpa and CZ. What was i doing? Preparing a hotdog at Speedway. I was given the old "we have a CC policy here in Indiana" there is a thread around here somewhere on it. I was polite but firm and when i left the store after asking "am i being detained?" there was a very funny look of "wtf just happened" on the officers face. I even offered a copy of the code right off the .gov website to the officer.

Most times though i have great encounters with everyday people and from a few that i wouldn't expect to have them(gang-banger types).
    I have educated on carrying, holster opinions, my fiance's weapon choice to a few women that were on the fence, carrying cocked and locked, etc.. I am ok with being asked questions as long as its not going to be someone berating me for how i carry.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    When is OC not socially acceptable?

I have two views on this:

1) If it is acceptable for Law Enforcement to be seen with a gun, then it is acceptable for anyone else.

2) Everyone's "social circle" is different, and has different accepted behaviors. My "circle" knows I carry, and routinely carry openly. However, (as an example), my sister's "circle" tends to lean to the left. So, at her wedding I concealed. No compelling reason to risk a scene on "her day".

Top Bottom