Is the ongoing OC vs CC debate as polarizing as it seems?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How I carry...

• Total voters

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    What a shocker, another thread about OC vs CC! :faint:

The perception I've gotten from the ongoing OC vs CC debate is that it's a polarizing one with people exclusively in one camp or the other. I've included a poll to see if this issue is as polarizing as it seems or if more middle ground is shared than is discussed. (Has to be in public. "OC'ing at the range" doesn't count as truly OC'ing)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for myself, I around 65% CC, 30% OC, and 5% bacon.

I'll CC when it's socially acceptable (such as in the presence of members of the female persuasion) and/or more tactically sound.

The times I OC are usually during visits to box stores, or if I'm out bicycling (since it's practically impossible to stay concealed anyway). Places of business in which I OC depend primarily on two factors:

-Any signage out front or the business' general reputation of being anti-2A
    -The size of the store building overall.

If it's a store, shop, or business where everyone could be easily scoped out by an opportunistic criminal (OCing might scare off the semi-desperados, but not the hardened element), then I'm gonna CC so as to not give away myself. If it's a large box store not so easily scoped out, then I'll choose to OC (though I'll still have to be 1000% more aware of my surroundings).

Coffee shops and most fast-food places I'll OC (because I'm in and out). Most restaurants and bars I'll CC unless it's winter where I'm carrying OWB and I'm just a jacket away from OCing.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The perception I've gotten from the ongoing OC vs CC debate is that it's a polarizing one with people exclusively in one camp or the other.

In my experience, OC'ers don't care how you carry, as long as you carry. CC'ers (generally) want you to conceal and aren't afraid to harangue you with name-calling until you comply.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I actually stopped OCing a lot. Not because of societal pressure, but because I realized that it didn't buy me a lot.

OC does give you better access to your weapon and that makes you faster. And it will scare off pissant criminals.......but truly violent criminals. The ones who aren't going to run when you draw your weapon. You know, those guys you train to fight. They don't care if you're armed or not and will hurt you regardless. If you OC, you've just let them know that they need to plan around you. If you're concealed, they don't know that and they might make a mistake in their attack which would expose them to your fire. I know the OC guys think that this is a myth, but the reality is that the empircal evidence isn't in to show us one way or another. Until it is, I'm not going to take that obvious tactical risk. OC guys point to cops carrying OC.........but duh. They have uniforms on. They're high profile. Everyone knows their armed. Might as well have it open. And yes, Cops do get ambushed.

There is no free lunch in tactics. Now the only time I OC is if I'm doing some hiking and my gear would get in the way of drawing my sidearm from a concealed position. Wild animals are your biggest threat out there anyway, so it's not a big deal.

Still. OC is better than nothing and it gets Americans used to seeing weapons again, and that's good. But if you're going to do it, be 1000% aware.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Beware of generalizations.

I CC for social and practical reasons, but I'm a live and let live kind of guy.

For those who feel that OC is more comfortable and/or gives them a tactical advantage, I respect and encourage that choice. For those who OC "because they can" or to invite an argument or confrontation, I'm not yet convinced that they are helping the cause, but don't see the need to force my opinion on them (as long as they do likewise).

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I tend to "sloppy conceal" in that I don't particularly try to conceal (I carry OWB for comfort), but I still usually have a cover. I just don't bother about it if the wind blows my shirt up or something.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Beware of generalizations.

I CC for social and practical reasons, but I'm a live and let live kind of guy.

For those who feel that OC is more comfortable and/or gives them a tactical advantage, I respect and encourage that choice. For those who OC "because they can" or to invite an argument or confrontation, I'm not yet convinced that they are helping the cause, but don't see the need to force my opinion on them (as long as they do likewise).

THIS :yesway:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I tend to "sloppy conceal" in that I don't particularly try to conceal (I carry OWB for comfort), but I still usually have a cover. I just don't bother about it if the wind blows my shirt up or something.

This. :yesway:

Easy, comfortable, and hassle free. I like that OC is an option, but I don't want to spend my days explaining it and educating people as to the legality of it.

I would also hate to live in a state where I was "brandishing" by reaching for the top shelf.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Concealed is concealed. Call me a sloppy CCer as well. Rarely do I let my gun hang out. At home, an INGO event or at the range is about it for me. But I don't have a problem with OC. I am just more comfortable with CC. 1) I do not want either positive or negative interaction with other people or police and 2) I don't want to startle the sheep.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    In my experience, OC'ers don't care how you carry, as long as you carry. CC'ers (generally) want you to conceal and aren't afraid to harangue you with name-calling until you comply.

Funny, I find it just the opposite. Doesn't matter, I don't care and I find the incessant posts discussing it to be mostly funny but occasionally sad.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    :+1:Same here. Whatever feels best at the moment. I generally carry OWB with an untucked shirt over it. It's what's most comfortable for me.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    What a shocker, another thread about OC vs CC! :faint:

The perception I've gotten from the ongoing OC vs CC debate is that it's a polarizing one with people exclusively in one camp or the other.
    Really????
    I would never have said that. It is overwhelmingly the CCers that start the trouble. Thus the polarization.

I've included a poll to see if this issue is as polarizing as it seems or if more middle ground is shared than is discussed. (Has to be in public. "OC'ing at the range" doesn't count as truly OC'ing)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Hi, I'm KellyinAvon, I'm a "sloppy cc'er". Glock G19/26 in a Blackhawk Serpa with a shirt 2 sizes too big. Sometimes a Hawaiian shirt.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    What is the point of this thread again? :rolleyes:

Hell, even I am getting tired of this debate. It seems every spring there are droves of new OC/CC posts and yes I was quite guilty of that when I joined in '11 but I guess I have "been there and done that" when it comes to arguing my side all the time.

There are several OC focused lawsuits that are going through the Indiana court system right now and I guess that is one source of the continual discussion but really, at this point what new ground is there to break?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Another JFC-er! Yea!

Let's just drop all the OC vs. CC nonsense, and all just effing carry. Each to their own, without passing judgement on others. We have enough enemies in the anti-freedom folks. No need to grumble at each other.

I carry however I feel. Openly most common, and concealed when I feel like being discreet.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I carry however I feel, depending on gun and places I'm going. I urge everyone else to do that. Just do what's comfortable for you!

CC is better......:D

Top Bottom