Is The Government Shutdown Affecting You Directly?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    +1 I've certainly lived paycheck to paycheck before. So I'm not going to slam people who are in that situation. Young people starting out often live that way, not by choice, but simply because of the nature of starting to be an adult.

We have all been here. All of us. I can remember some folks pitching in on some grocery's but never had my bills paid. I did appreciate the grocery's though....:)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    "Holding government workers hostage..."

Is it illegal for a .gov employee to quit? Take a second job? Work for a temp agency? Get a weekend/evening gig? Find employment elsewhere?

There are something like 7.1 million open jobs in the US right now (hit Google for the latest). There are supposedly 800,000 .gov workers impacted by this shutdown.

I totally and completely agree that the shutdown sucks for those effected. Heck, my own employer furlowed a few hundred folks for a couple of weeks over the holidays. Sucked for them, too. Most came back, because the gig is actually pretty good otherwise. A few did not, and left for greener (better fertilized) pastures. The difference, of course, is those furlowed folks did not get paid for not working.
    Why should they have to go out of their way to go find a new job? It’s not their fault they’re in this pickle.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

According to the OP they can't quit while in shutdown and they aren't allowed to take second jobs. I am guessing due to the need for them to be on call.

Doug

mostly correct.
    info below is only for civilian .gov workers.
    i don't know about .mil workers, those who r active service.

most .gov workers are not allowed WITHOUT permission to have a 2nd job. those that do have permission must agree that .gov work comes 1st. so if you get called to do overtime on sat u have to do it vs going to work at mcd.

for most its just telling your boss and eventually the ethics group talks to you or sends you an email about reminders of working a 2nd job. you cant represent the .gov or give off the appearance that you are wokring as .gov while on the 2nd job.

also their might be conflict of interest as well. u cant say work for the irs and also have a tax filing biz. cant work for ssa and also be an atty that files disability cases.

now with all that said right now, during shutdown, if you are furloughed you can go work for anyone else. its called quiting!

if ibm offers you a better job nothing is stopping u from leaving. when .gov opens again they will just process your paperwork cause u quit. those with high skills r most likwly to do this.

if you go choose to work for mcd the only issue will be when .gov opens us you have to decide do u stay at mcd of go back. if u go back u need to let .gov know u worked at mcd. ethics will need to review if it was wrong. its not unless u were saying while at mcd hey what a big mac and a free application for va benefits?

heck u can always work cash jobs to get by and no one would know. day laborer.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Why should they have to go out of their way to go find a new job? It’s not their fault they’re in this pickle.

It’s a pickle yes, but it isn’t going to be a permanent pickle.
    The .gov will be back in “business” shortly.
    After all it’s too big to fail and there is security in that.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

if your company closes shop tomorrow r u not going to look for a new job?

someone posted it above.
    .gov jobs dont pay as much as corporate. that is true.
    and engr can make MORE working for private sector. way more but the lure of .gov IS/WAS it is safe job with good benefits.

if this trend continues of uncertainty for longer periods of time those with skills/degree that can get better jobs in corporate will end up going that route and gamble in those waters.

yes some stay due to the patriotic side of doing work for the nation. at some point even those will rethink it if its no better then corprate work.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

I read this and had my "ah-ha!" moment. This is the core of where you and I (along with some others) are disagreeing.

My belief is that part of the pickle they are in IS their fault. More than 0%, less than 100%, but certainly part of it.

Perhaps there is nothing they could do based upon their situation. But I do believe that with many of the younger generation there is a mind
    set that is misguided. This AOC thinking that Big Brother will always be there to help, that "I" don't have to do anything other than show up and all will be taken care of. And if it isn't, then it's not my fault.

I blame the mindset that says all I have to do is what is expected of me and voila, all will be taken care of.

I simply disagree. I believe that it is partly their fault they are in this pickle - by failing to plan.

Perhaps I am entirely wrong. Perhaps even 100% wrong. But that is what I believe.

Regards,

Doug

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    in other words NOTHING in life is certain expect death (and some may say taxes).

there is NO GAURANTEE that you are due a .gov job tomorrow.
    we are NOT entiltled to a job by company abc tomorrow.
    life is a ruthless b... that cares about no one.
    it is up to use to survive, find our own happiness and prosper.
    no one is a slave to the current job they have.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm not sure playing the "blame game" is productive in this scenario.

Sure, all of us - usually - pick our careers/jobs/employment at some level. We need money, we have a particular set of skills, so we go trade our actions for money.

There's an element of choice to that. But at the same time, we all make those decisions based on the factors in our lives. It isn't like we can literally pick whatever we want to do for however much we want to get paid.

There is a finite set of choices (best case) and we pick the best one that makes sense at that time.

Especially now with so many dual income families, the loss of one income may not be the entire story. Can we blame a "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality on part of that, too? Probably. I just don't know how that advances the discussion about whether this gov't shutdown is "good" or "bad."

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    in other words NOTHING in life is certain expect death (and some may say taxes).

there is NO GAURANTEE that you are due a .gov job tomorrow.
    we are NOT entiltled to a job by company abc tomorrow.
    life is a ruthless b... that cares about no one.
    it is up to use to survive, find our own happiness and prosper.
    no one is a slave to the current job they have.

I think you missing the point. I agree with you that no one is "entitled" to a job, however for labor worked, as is the case for these government employees, they are entitled to timely payment. If you did a job for someone, and that person said they'd pay you Friday, and then changed that to "eventually," I doubt you be happy about it, either.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    correct.
    this friday payday was for work for the past 2 weeks.
    those workers on furlough did NOT work.
    those that did work, the expected, have every right to be mad as they worked and now are not getting paid.

they have a decision to make.
    leave or stay and wait for pay.
    in corporate most would leave and sue.

here we all know based on past experiencd the .gov will be reopened before next paychexk is due.

IF .GOV IS STILL CLOSED FOR NEXT PAYCHECK then its a whole new level of wtf!!!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    correct.
    this friday payday was for work for the past 2 weeks.
    those workers on furlough did NOT work.
    those that did work, the expected, have every right to be mad as they worked and now are not getting paid.

they have a decision to make.
    leave or stay and wait for pay.
    in corporate most would leave and sue.

here we all know based on past experiencd the .gov will be reopened before next paychexk is due.

IF .GOV IS STILL CLOSED FOR NEXT PAYCHECK then its a whole new level of wtf!!!

You are aware Trump has said he'll continue the shutdown for as long as it takes, right?

At this point, I don't think any of us can predict when .gov will reopen.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You are aware Trump has said he'll continue the shutdown for as long as it takes, right?

At this point, Trump has painted himself into a corner. To date, I think the blowback has been on everyone. If he doesn't offer up a compromise position, he'll start to own this on his own.

...declaring a state of emergency is dictator territory, not being presidential.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

yes he ssid months or years and i do believe he will do months if need be. which means come next missed paycheck those with skills are going to have to really think do i stay or go.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I think you missing the point. I agree with you that no one is "entitled" to a job, however for labor worked, as is the case for these government employees, they are entitled to timely payment. If you did a job for someone, and that person said they'd pay you Friday, and then changed that to "eventually," I doubt you be happy about it, either.

I would definitely be upset with not getting paid for labor done, but on the same note, those that chose to work for the gov have to know the inherent risk by choosing to work for the gov. Its not like this is the first time workers have been furloughed.
    I do hope this comes to an end soon though, as it truly is not fair for those whom are working to not get paid.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    https://www.wthr.com/article/state-moves-distribution-snap-benefits

No SNAP benefits will be issued in the month of February, so recipients are strongly encouraged to budget their SNAP benefits to ensure the amount received provides for their food needs through the entire month of February.

Yes, because benefits intended to last one month are easily stretched into two.

Further evidence of 4D chess, because February is the shortest month.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It’s a pickle yes, but it isn’t going to be a permanent pickle.
    The .gov will be back in “business” shortly.
    After all it’s too big to fail and there is security in that.

Doesn't matter. The point is that politicians are playing around with people's lives who really have nothing to do with the issues they're fighting about.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Not sure the "seek another & start getting paid immediately" works. If I started working today (Jan 14) and work the next 2 weeks and then get paid on the following Friday, I would still go the next 18 days without a paycheck. This group of "non-essentials" is because the last shutdown including military personal overseas and Congress changed it. Blame Congress. The silver lining is that those working extra shifts will earn a ton of overtime pay. If you haven't maxed out your credit card, buy your gas, groceries, utilities, etc on credit & pay it all off when you get that big paycheck.

I got laid off with a sudden corporate downsizing. I also started over after a very nasty divorce. I've also lost wages when I had a personal injury (not work related) and when I took sick with pneumonia. It sucks, but that's just life. Learn from it and be better prepared next time.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    if your company closes shop tomorrow r u not going to look for a new job?

someone posted it above.
    .gov jobs dont pay as much as corporate. that is true.
    and engr can make MORE working for private sector. way more but the lure of .gov IS/WAS it is safe job with good benefits.

if this trend continues of uncertainty for longer periods of time those with skills/degree that can get better jobs in corporate will end up going that route and gamble in those waters.

yes some stay due to the patriotic side of doing work for the nation. at some point even those will rethink it if its no better then corprate work.

BTDT. I don't really know what the point of that is. See, this is why I keep thinking you guys are trying to justify the shutdown. If you were missing paychecks because two parties are playing political games that had nothing to do with you, I imagine you'd be pretty pissed about it, no matter how many months worth of savings you have. That's not even the point.

I say things like, it's not zero impact. It's not benign. It does cause hardship on people. Then you guys say things like, well, go find a new job. WTF? It's not the end of the world that the cocksucking democrats are predicting. But it's not nothing either. It's not something to cheer on.

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood

Not my fault I have pneumonia. Fault has nothing to do with it.
    If a number of Federal workers find other work, then, instant downsizing of the Government. The ones getting boned the most are those working without pay. Everyone else is on vacation with delayed pay

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I read this and had my "ah-ha!" moment. This is the core of where you and I (along with some others) are disagreeing.

My belief is that part of the pickle they are in IS their fault. More than 0%, less than 100%, but certainly part of it.

Perhaps there is nothing they could do based upon their situation. But I do believe that with many of the younger generation there is a mindset that is misguided. This AOC thinking that Big Brother will always be there to help, that "I" don't have to do anything other than show up and all will be taken care of. And if it isn't, then it's not my fault.

I blame the mindset that says all I have to do is what is expected of me and voila, all will be taken care of.

I simply disagree. I believe that it is partly their fault they are in this pickle - by failing to plan.

Perhaps I am entirely wrong. Perhaps even 100% wrong. But that is what I believe.

Regards,

Doug

The pickle they're in is not getting a paycheck, and many of them having to work anyway and not get paid for who knows how long. It doesn't matter how prepared they are because that's really not my point. This has nothing to do with AOC. It has nothing to do with the younger generation. There's no mindset involved. Government workers aren't an extension of welfare. A government job is not a social entitlement. They took a job from an employer and in return for their work, they get paid salaries and wages. The only differences, their employer is the federal government.

I am not disagreeing that many of the people who can't make even their rent after missing the first paycheck may be in a bigger pickle than most because of their own lack of preparation. But, maybe not. Maybe you nor I know their situation. Maybe life has handed some of them ****. Or maybe they waste their paychecks on blow and hookers. I've always prefaced this with, "to the extent...", so I've already covered the more than 0% and less than 100% stuff. Shouldn't even matter. They're not getting a paycheck because of politics. That sucks and that's not on them. They have zero to do with not getting a paycheck. Would be nice for them if they'd have prepared, but regardless, they're not getting a paycheck that they're owed, when they're owed it.

Top Bottom