Is The Government Shutdown Affecting You Directly?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Maybe they were starting to see some folks recognize how useless and bloated the federal government is and that it needs to be abolished.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, he took ownership of it early on, maybe he'll be able to own the re-opening, too.

But, what happens in 3 weeks when the Dems still haven't given him what he wants?

Another shutdown, that he'll own, and now they know they don't have to give him anything. They can wait him out.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Maybe they were starting to see some folks recognize how useless and bloated the federal government is and that it needs to be abolished.

Tell that to the people flying into/out of LaGuardia, or waiting to open a business (while still being on the hook for the lease and other fees) for an SBA loan, or not buying a house because the federally subsidized loan wasn't moving.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Tell that to the people flying into/out of LaGuardia, or waiting to open a business (while still being on the hook for the lease and other fees) for an SBA loan, or not buying a house because the federally subsidized loan wasn't moving.

None of which would be an issue if the federal government was not involved in the first place.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

One can hope. Or it might have backfired and some will do everything they can to prevent that teet from ever disappearing again.

Time will tell.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    None of which would be an issue if the federal government was not involved in the first place.

On the last 2, it gets into some pretty deep policy issues. (Regardless how we got here, we are where we are; any politician trying to get rid of those programs is going to have a short career.)

With regard to air travel, though, I think there's some role for federal authorities to provide security. Now, personally, that's a vital role, so I'm not sure why they would be shut down/not paid.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Well, he took ownership of it early on, maybe he'll be able to own the re-opening, too.

But, what happens in 3 weeks when the Dems still haven't given him what he wants?

Another shutdown, that he'll own, and now they know they don't have to give him anything. They can wait him out.

For better or worse, he's going to go the Emergency Powers route, mark my words.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hopefully Trump will play this up and emphasize all the concessions he HAS offered to make in an attempt to come to an agreement. He should make it clear that when this 3 weeks is up, it will shut down again unless the Democrats agree to some compromise. The Democrats have offered NOTHING. But yeah, Trump is the obstructionist. :rolleyes: Happy the employees will get paid. Not happy with the way it's happened.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    For better or worse, he's going to go the Emergency Powers route, mark my words.

That wouldn't surprise me. He should also make clear that he plans on vetoing every single piece of legislation that a Democrat comes up with that doesn't address immigration reform, including funding for a wall in some form. He's offered reasonable compromises. The Democrats want obstruction? That's what they'll get.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hopefully Trump will play this up and emphasize all the concessions he HAS offered to make in an attempt to come to an agreement. He should make it clear that when this 3 weeks is up, it will shut down again unless the Democrats agree to some compromise. The Democrats have offered NOTHING. But yeah, Trump is the obstructionist. :rolleyes: Happy the employees will get paid. Not happy with the way it's happened.
    I'm not.

We just paid for a one month vacation for all "non-essential" employees who were locked out.

Well, I mean, I'm happy for them, but not happy that we, as tax-payers, paid a month of wages and got zero productivity in return.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    On the last 2, it gets into some pretty deep policy issues. (Regardless how we got here, we are where we are; any politician trying to get rid of those programs is going to have a short career.)

With regard to air travel, though, I think there's some role for federal authorities to provide security. Now, personally, that's a vital role, so I'm not sure why they would be shut down/not paid.

Yes we are here, which goes back to my point of dissolving it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm not.

We just paid for a one month vacation for all "non-essential" employees who were locked out.

Well, I mean, I'm happy for them, but not happy that we, as tax-payers, paid a month of wages and got zero productivity in return.

Oh I understand. After the 3 weeks is up and it gets shut down again, I wonder if Trump could order congress to work without pay. No back pay either. For the remainder of their terms. Since they're pretty much worthless, they'd be earning what they deserve. $0

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    i dont think we controls congress salary/funding.
    so basically in 3 weeks we will be back here again and nothing will have been resolved. he should of just stayed the course and told the states ya r on your own. work without us. but then again as some have pointed out. then the people would see that you dont really need the .gov for many things

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I'm not.

You're making the case for layoffs just like the private sector...
    Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    i dont think we controls congress salary/funding.
    so basically in 3 weeks we will be back here again and nothing will have been resolved. he should of just stayed the course and told the states ya r on your own. work without us. but then again as some have pointed out. then the people would see that you dont really need the .gov for many things

You're right of course. They control their own salaries (which is pretty ****ed up in and of itself but that's another story).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm not.

Heard a news blurb today about the federal workers having a backlog of work they are going to have to dig out of.

...one wonders if there will be any overtime for this.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom