• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    There's also a difference in the way Surefire focuses their light. I've seen cheap "500 lumen" lights that can't light up a target as well as my 200 lumen LX2.
    This has to do with the cheap centering rings used in cheap lights and the LED used in the light and the fact that cheap LED lights do not use AR coated lens'

Last edited:

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    Look...you get what you pay for. Buy what you feel comfortable with. I like buying things that I know I can depend on when the chips are down. I carry a Surefire daily because when I need a light...I need a light. I have had so many lights fail just in daily use it's not funny. If you are comfortable with a gas station light by all means buy and use them.

I went hunting with a friend a few years ago. No GPS, just out in the woods on his property. One other guy that he invited got lost and literally was stranded out in the middle of nowhere because both of his lights failed and he could not see his hand in front of his face. I have a father-in-law that hunts as well. He won't carry anything expensive into the woods but has wondered off trail multiple times and had to call someone for help for the same reason.

bmiley1963

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    I have a couple of 6P's that I bought probably 18 years ago for $69 a piece; which was pretty expensive then. They only use the CR123 batteries which today is frustrating. Due to the availability and cost of those batteries, I think there are just as good lights out there that take AA batteries for a lot less money.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    And I'm not saying that people won't have good luck with streamlight or a couple other brands. But if you know your gonna shoot a lot with a light on your gun I'd just go for the surefire of some type.
    The x series weapons lights are awesome! Also the scout lights.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    holy crap, for that price, i will build my own light for a fraction of the cost and get the same reliability.

So how about a source for parts, a parts list and some detailed instructions on assembly, Mr. Wizard? For the cheap and broke among us with high quaility light needs and less knowledge and ten thumbs.

I'm sure I'm not the only one in that boat.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Just for anyone with a Surefire or any other light that uses two CR123 batteries end-to-end, there is an elegant rechargeable solution here - 16650 KeepPower 2500mAh Sanyo UR16650ZTA 4.20V Protected Button Top - Batteries - Batteries, Chargers, and PowerPax Carriers
    There are lots of compatible chargers, but this one is a smart charger (automatically stops when the battery is fully charged, not one of the crappy timer-based ones) that's also very affordable - Nitecore i2 Intellicharger (2014 Edition) - Chargers - Batteries, Chargers, and PowerPax Carriers
    I can personally vouch for the effectiveness of this, as the batteries provide as much light as the disposable CR123 batteries and provide as much run time.
    I use these daily.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    My gas station light comment was tongue in cheek. Here's my experience: the helmet mounted surefire's are pretty sweet. But that's what supply is for, I'm not buying one. The light I have carried every day for the past two years, and used quite heavily, has been a powertac e5. Maybe I hit the lottery, but this $95 ($80 nowadays) light has never once failed. Of the four brightness settings, I use the second. The third is almost to bright to use indoors. The brightest will light up a woodline at 100m easily, and will blind you. I don't beat on it, but I'm not nice to it either. Is the 950 lumen claim accurate? I have no idea. But I also don't care because it's really freakin bright. If the $95 light is extremely bright, has a 100% reliability rate, does everything I ask it to, it's just very difficult for me to justify paying 3x as much for something that is functionally the same. To me, surefire is the same as colt was a few years ago. You could buy a Wyndham (bushmaster at the time) or pay 150% more for an identical colt. The pony wasn't worth it. People buy this stuff because it's what the military buys. And those reasons aren't always that it is the best.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I've never had a Streamlight hold up under daily use, unlike my Surefire stuff. Trust me, I wanted them to due to the price. But the only light I have found that will take a beating and function 100% of the time is Surefire. On most Streamlights (as well as Fenix, etc....), it was a switch issue.

This has been my experience too. I've had 3 different Streamlight models fail on me (tailcap switch) and simply won't buy another. That said my TLR-1 has held up fine.

Any future weapon light purchases will be Surefire.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Before my first deployment they gave us a bunch of gear. One of those pieces of gear was a Surefire 6p. With the IR filter that thing was bright with NVG's. After we got back they didn't ask for anything back. I still have it 9 yrs later and still works like a charm. I've lost the IR cap but still have the red lens cap.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I think the best light on the market for the price right now is the Surefire G2X at 320 lumens for $50. It's an amazing light.

downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    I think the best light on the market for the price right now is the Surefire G2X at 320 lumens for $50. It's an amazing light.
    I would disagree, they cut alot of corners with this light. orange peel plastic reflector, plastic lens, lack of spring on the driver, and class 2 anodizing. This might as well be an overpriced chinese light as the packages states, designed and assembled in the USA, not manufactured in the USA.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I would disagree, they cut alot of corners with this light. orange peel plastic reflector, plastic lens, lack of spring on the driver, and class 2 anodizing. This might as well be an overpriced chinese light as the packages states, designed and assembled in the USA, not manufactured in the USA.
    They cut corners to appease the Walmart crowd, and bring a light to market everyone could afford, backed by the 110% SF warranty. What other company has a website to order warranty parts by yourself?

downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    They cut corners to appease the Walmart crowd, and bring a light to market everyone could afford, backed by the 110% SF warranty. What other company has a website to order warranty parts by yourself?
    I take it with a grain of salt. for $50, i would buy an Olight, jetbeam, or fenix and be alot better off in the long run.

Top Bottom