• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I know, stupid question, right? Anyways... Ive been on the fence for a couple months. I mean its ok to shoot and all, but I really dont enjoy it (primarily due to costs involved for ammo, and I doubt thats going to get better).

Outside of shooting for pleasure, I have no real reason to shoot it. I just punch paper with it.

Anyone else ever get this way?

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I personally wouldnt. Not until things settle. If nothing comes of this panic go ahead I suppose. If a ban comes Id rather be able (hopefully) to keep it.

But if you wanted to donate to the gvsugod charity we accept, cash, check, credit, and AR-15s.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you are not really all that happy with it, and you do not see yourself getting a lot of use out of it, now is a good time to sell, prices and demand are high. Make sure you have something in your house if you need to defend your family.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I personally wouldnt. Not until things settle. If nothing comes of this panic go ahead I suppose. If a ban comes Id rather be able (hopefully) to keep it.

But if you wanted to donate to the gvsugod charity we accept, cash, check, credit, and AR-15s.

Donate? No, sell to? Possibly.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    If you are not really all that happy with it, and you do not see yourself getting a lot of use out of it, now is a good time to sell, prices and demand are high. Make sure you have something in your house if you need to defend your family.

Ive got that... We will call it covered. Im not a 1 gun type of person, haha.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    If you're seriously looking to sell, wait a few days for congress to reconvene, and the crazy talk to start again. That oughta spike the prices up enough to give you a nice profit to throw at other things. There's always a sucker, ahem... I mean a purchaser, who's willing to pay market value, whatever the crazy market says.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If your worldview does not include the possibility that you might need that rifle someday, then there is no reason to keep instead of cash you'll get got it. Sell it to someone who wants one and you're both happy.

I know, stupid question, right? Anyways... Ive been on the fence for a couple months. I mean its ok to shoot and all, but I really dont enjoy it (primarily due to costs involved for ammo, and I doubt thats going to get better).

Outside of shooting for pleasure, I have no real reason to shoot it. I just punch paper with it.

gotojuston

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Downstairs, behind the axe
    What sort of layaway plans do you offer :D
    My wife keeps insisting on a vacation before another gun.

Now is the time though - if I were in your shoes, I'd try to trade it for a classic WW2 something or other for a conversation piece. They're great at collecting dust too.

noname1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    I was thinking the same thing. My Bushmaster my be worth $1400 with the Eotech and other acccessories, but I wonder if it wouldn't be smart to trade or sell and buy a very nice O/U shotgun I have wanted for a long time. When the sanity returns I can buy another AR. It is tough to guage my affection for it. I only bought it four years ago because Obama was elected. I like the story of the guy that traded for an Ed Brown. That can't be a bad deal.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    If you don't need it or wont really miss it then why not sell it and reap the rewards of your investment. :yesway:

I had an Bulgy AK 74 and a DPMS LR308 that where odd balls in my collection because of ammo/mags. I decided to sell them through my LGS and sold the 2 for double my money.

Now to get me that 42 Izhevsk PU sniper rifle I've been wanting! :D

45acp223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    SE IN.
    If you are wanting to get rid of it, sell it or trade for something you really want. I feel like a real idiot, I sold my Armalite in the past Spring and could have more than doubled my money now...that's why I don't play the stock market or go to the boats, I'm not lucky! Oh well, I was satisfied at the time and able to get the Bullseye 45 I wanted so that is all that matters. If you are going to do it, now is the time. Post it in the for sale ads here and let other forum members have a shot at it.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    What sort of layaway plans do you offer :D
    My wife keeps insisting on a vacation before another gun.

Now is the time though - if I were in your shoes, I'd try to trade it for a classic WW2 something or other for a conversation piece. They're great at collecting dust too.

No layaway.... LOL!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

Heck yes sell it. If its not something you want to shoot, like to shoot, can afford to shoot then sell it or trade it for something that you want. The problem is that most "M4" type guns are really not suited to many uses.

Or, consider changing it to a configuration that is useful to you. If the 5.56 round is just a paper puncher for you but if you like to hunt deer then sell/trade your upper for a 458 Socom, 450 Bushmaster or 50 Beowulf upper. If you want to hunt wild hogs or long range antelope the sell/trade your upper for a 6.5 Grendel upper. The one nice thing about the AR platform is that it is very much like a LEGO toy, you can change out the parts and build what you want.

But the reality is, if what you want is a shotgun or pistol, or a new washer/dryer for your wife, then selling the AR is not going to be a problem.

Ginger89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    I sold a stripped Noveske lower for 600 bucks plus shipping, I trippled my money. I think the time to sell is NOW since everything is at record highs. The market is very crazy if the government talks end up not having a ban expect the market to be flooded with a ton of guys trying to cut their losses. I am now in the market for a new or slightly used 700 Tactical.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a no sell policy when it comes to firearms, but I sold my AR. I built it for a couple reasons:
    1. Always wanted one.
    2. Thought I wanted to try 3-gun.

What I found was that my personal finances will not allow me to spend the money it requires to do matches and acquire all the gear. Plus I could use the money from the sale of the AR to equip myself to shoot some other events.

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    It is up to you.

I have been selling off some things I don't shoot anymore because I wanted to cash out of them in case Feinstein's version of the AWB is passed in the dead of night.

Just remember, it will be the Obama economy with higher taxes, higher unemployment, and the increase in crime that comes with it.

If you don't ever use it you can cash out now while you can. You might not be able to sell it later, then again, you might be able to replace it later either.

Decisions decisions. If it were my only 1, I'd keep it. But that is just me.:twocents:

Top Bottom