• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyinlow78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    I've been in Fishers and Lawrence and don't like either one. Mostly traffic snarls and just overall congestion that just isn't for me and my rural tastes. We are thinking of buying over in the Plainfield area. It seems like there are some nice homes available, the schools appear to have good ratings, and it is possible to get some land as well. I haven't found anything to indicate that crime is an issue over there (especially compared to Lawrence area!). Fishers used to be nice, but with the growth I just couldn't take it any longer.

Anyone live there with suggestions for areas to avoid, or good/bad/ugly of living in Plainfield? Does traffic get bad in the Plainfield area around rush hour?

Thank you!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I've been in Fishers and Lawrence and don't like either one. Mostly traffic snarls and just overall congestion that just isn't for me and my rural tastes. We are thinking of buying over in the Plainfield area. It seems like there are some nice homes available, the schools appear to have good ratings, and it is possible to get some land as well. I haven't found anything to indicate that crime is an issue over there (especially compared to Lawrence area!). Fishers used to be nice, but with the growth I just couldn't take it any longer.

Anyone live there with suggestions for areas to avoid, or good/bad/ugly of living in Plainfield? Does traffic get bad in the Plainfield area around rush hour?

Thank you!
    Bad? In comparison to the northeast side, not even close. But it's still can be frustratingly slow and gridlocked at rush hour. But then I have zero patience with idiots on the road.

Of the 3 Hendricks Co. burbs, Plainfield is probably the least expensive one. Land is available, but not cheap. I'm a licensed broker and work mostly on the west side of the Indy metro area (as well as live here in Camby). Plainfield has something for any home buyer. Plenty of municipal amenities like parks and whatnot too. It's a good choice IMO.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Fishers and Lawrence and No to both?

What's family situation? 33 or 34, guessing by your name? School situation is quite different between HSE/Fishers vs. Lawrence vs. Plainfield. Give us more!

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Plainfield is a great area, I'm originally from Mooresville (6 miles south) and worked in Plainfield from 1986-2000.

Taxes are respectable, HS is 3 years old and won accolades for it's Frank Loyd Wright architecture design and was built to handle a decent increase of student without the need for expansion.

There is plenty of rural area that is attached to Plainfield schools and a wide variety of housing that should suit yours needs and desires.

Come on down and drive around for a bit and check it out.

DEWEY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Hendricks county
    Plainfield is a good area personally I live right next door in Danville I have family who go to Plainfield Schools and really like the teaching staff. overall seems like a good place to live and the bonus is you will be near Plainfield Shooting Supplies.

flyinlow78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Fishers and Lawrence and No to both?

What's family situation? 33 or 34, guessing by your name? School situation is quite different between HSE/Fishers vs. Lawrence vs. Plainfield. Give us more!

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone.

Wife works for the .gov and will be possibly going to Atterbury or the finance center in Lawrence. I know that is a long drive from Plainfield, but she grew up in Indy and deals with the traffic a lot better than I do.

'78 was actually in reference to a car. :cool:

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    We looked at moving from Camby to Plainfield and I would suggest you drive around that area during rush hour before deciding to move there. Rockville rd has a LOT of stoplights which can add 20-30 to your trip off 465.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    We looked at moving from Camby to Plainfield and I would suggest you drive around that area during rush hour before deciding to move there. Rockville rd has a LOT of stoplights which can add 20-30 to your trip off 465.

Rockville Rd doesn't run through Plainfield......:dunno:

If you're trying to get to Plainfield from 465 it's much easier to hop on 70 to the 267 exit.

I suspect you're thinking of Avon?

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    the problem right now and recently with traffic in Plainfield is the construction. Last year Main street (40) through town was a complete mess and everyone started to figure out the "alternate" ways through town and it caused a lot of congestion on small rural roads. Now the alternate routes through town are under construction and they're getting to be like the surrounding communities throwing roundabouts every where. Really, most people seem to have a problem navigating a four way stop and nobody knows what the hell a yield sign is. The schools are outstanding, IMO, I am a transplant from another state or three but we have been very happy with our daughter's progression through the school system so far. Taxes are pretty reasonable compared to other surrounding areas too. Plainfield just needs better restaurants.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Thanks for all of the feedback everyone.

Wife works for the .gov and will be possibly going to Atterbury or the finance center in Lawrence. I know that is a long drive from Plainfield, but she grew up in Indy and deals with the traffic a lot better than I do.

'78 was actually in reference to a car. :cool:

Well here's a little bit of info that will really help you travel wise.

I live just south of 267/70 and to where I work (1 mile east of P. Pike and Post in Lawrence) it is a 35 minute drive. Not as ling as you thing it would be and coming home with traffic it is only a couple of minutes longer unless there is an accident.

As for a drive to Atterbury, 40 minutes tops. I might also add that I can leave my house and be sitting in IU's Memorial Stadiums parking lot in 40 minutes from my house.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Rockville Rd doesn't run through Plainfield......:dunno:

If you're trying to get to Plainfield from 465 it's much easier to hop on 70 to the 267 exit.

I suspect you're thinking of Avon?

Sorry, I got my towns confused for a second there. I've taken both Washington st and Rockville west on 465 around "quittin' time" and they both sucked.

I agree that 70 is the way to go, however I've seen it backed up past Ronald Reagan from 3:30 on.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Sorry, I got my towns confused for a second there. I've taken both Washington st and Rockville west on 465 around "quittin' time" and they both sucked.

I agree that 70 is the way to go, however I've seen it backed up past Ronald Reagan from 3:30 on.

That's because of the current road construction on 70 west, when that and the work @ Washington/465 is done, the traffic pattern around Plainfield will return to normal rather quickly.

The only major traffic problem that has not been resolved for years. is the southbound traffic on 267 to 70 in the mornings and a little in the afternoon.

BUT.... I've heard rumors of the interchange getting fixed with the addition of some clovers and it will become a clover/diamond config. Their is plenty of room to do it with out affecting current traffic patterns and will greatly reduce the backup on 267 south.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Plainfield isn't bad, depending on WHERE in the town. It has some really nice spots, and some not-so-swell. Traffic can be entertaining on US40. Going north from Plainfield is currently a pain. Traffic is heavy, road construction in non-stop, and the little roads don't handle it well. Decent (but fairly large) schools, lots of nice parks, you can live urban or rural pretty easily. Some "city" problems creep in along 40.

I grew up in Avon way before it exploded. Live up in Brownsburg now. We head to Plainfield pretty often.

flyinlow78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Lots of good feedback, thanks everyone! I'll have to see if I can get down there during a weekday. It doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as the 69S to 465 parking lot.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't know what everyone is talking about traffic.

It's no better/worse than any other place with stop lights.

The "bad" parts of Plainfield are just rednecks.

I like it a lot.

Also, you wouldn't even know the prison/academy was even there if you never drove past it. Hell, they just built a new little league park and a McDs right next to it.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    Also, you wouldn't even know the prison/academy was even there if you never drove past it. Hell, they just built a new little league park and a McDs right next to it.
    Which is why they have signs like this:
    MET-082311-WARNING-L.jpg

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    There's a women's facility there as well, not too far from MCFG.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Wrong not Plainfield.

In Marion County off of Indiana 136 and Girl School road. That would be between Speedway and Clermont, it's a ways to go to get to Plainfield from there.

Top Bottom