• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    saw this nightmare scenario come true to family members who lived outside of new orleans after hurricane, how do cops legally confiscate licensed firearms due to martial law or something similar? wouldn't you rather people be able to secure their homes or businesses and free up the police for actual police work, sounds like gestapo tactics to me...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Agreed.

In my view, they could regulate sale and production of guns through the commerce clause (if you ignore the 2A). There is no rational relationship between carrying a gun and commerce, so they can't regulate carrying through the commerce clause.

The '94 gun ban regulated sale and production. Sale and production are obviously commercial activities. I could see them trying to ban manufacture or sale of all semi-autos, or all handguns or all guns capable of being concealed under the commerce clause, but not carrying a gun. That would just be too overreaching, even for the most abused power the federal government has.

I disagree with them regulating home grown pot through the commerce clause. However, they claim that there is a market for pot and anyone growing it affects that market, so there is a rational tie to commerce. The logic goes that the people growing pot would be buying it otherwise. Because they are not buying it, they are affecting interstate commerce. They have done this before with wheat.
    Yup. The Whiskey Rebellion, aka the first abuse of power by our "federalist" government. It's said that the freemen at the time wondered if they'd shaken off one King George (of England) for another (Washington), who used federal troops to enforce Hamilton's taxes.

It doesn't matter how many people do something wrong, it's still wrong, and it doesn't matter how few do something right, it's still right.

Violating the Constitution, whether in letter or spirit, is wrong, no matter who does it.
    “Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which would abrogate them.” Miranda v. Arizona (1966)

Blessings,
    B

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    Sorry, hit post before I was through. I think we are debating semantics here. They are both abused and their application liberally interpreted. One thing about the commerce clause, if I may, though. From my research (and I am welcome to be corrected), one of the mitigating factors for the inclusion of the commerce clause was the protectionist trade barriers often erected by states as a result of a "gap", if you will, in the Articles of Confederation relating to the sovereignty of each of the states. So, I would say I agree with you in that it "regulates" how the states conduct commerce amongst themselves (in relation to removal of barriers to free markets). As you say, the applicability has definitely broadened to areas wholly foreign to commerce, but we have seen times when the SCOTUS has reigned in these rogue advances as evidenced by the Lopez decision on "gun free school zones". Unfortunately, these victories are few and far between. I think I place the welfare clause in the foremost place of infamy simply because its' scope, for lack of a better term, can be broadened much further than the commerce clause as it doesn't require the slightest hint of application to any particular process, policy or platitude to be used as a bludgeon.

Maybe it is a semantic thing, but I don't think that the general welfare clause is being abused, even though I don't agree with a lot of the ways it is used. Where are they rampantly spending money on things which are in no way, or only tenuously related to the general welfare. Your view of general welfare is probably different from my view, which is probably different from everyone else's view. That doesn't mean that everything done which I don't agree with is an abuse of the power.

The commerce clause is abused. You couldn't grow your own wheat (at one time in the past) because you deprived the wheat market of money. You can't grow pot because you deprive the (illegal) pot market of money. If something crosses state lines, the government can regulate it. That conduct allowed for by the plain language. The conduct undertaken in the name of the general welfare clause is allowed by the plain language.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    No more lifetime Permits?????

I heard today that here soon you will not be able to obtain a Lifetime Permit. Is that true? If it is I just got a 4 year permit last year is there anyway I could upgrade to a lifetime before it's to late?

Also my buddy at work said that he went to Bob's in Plainfield a day or two before the swearing in of our wonderful president :): and he said there was at least 50 or 60 people in the store. Hmmm wonder why? Last minute shoppers. ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    There is not truth to that, it is just a rumor. To my knowledge, there are no bills in the Indiana legislature to limit or do away with the lifetime permit.

Since you just received your four year permit last year, you have to wait the three more years to apply for the lifetime permit. You cannot "upgrade" to a lifetime permit from a four year permit.

There are several threads on INGO that talk about the upsurge in the number of people applying for their LTCH and how it has created a backlog of applications at the State level awaiting criminal background checks, plus other threads talking about how gun shows and gun shops have seen a significant increase in business since Obama got the nod in the election for President.

Cheers.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    No problem. It is a frequently asked question on INGO.

Stupid statements from some government people (like the Sheriff of Allen County yesterday on WOWO) are not helping the situation and creating confusion for the common folk.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    YOu've already "scewed the pooch" getting a permit at all. In the often feared "Obama situation" you aren't going to want there to ever be any record of any interest in guns, let alone a record of your name, address and finger prints. It's not going to matter if you have a lifetime permit or not. You don't really think they are going to legislate against any permit and then say, "Oh, well we can't take theirs away. Those are LIFE time permits." ROTFL

It's not going to matter one bit which one you have.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    First, if you have questions on this, you can ask them here or you can go to the original source, that being in.gov/legislative which shows all bills before the legislature.
    Second, there is presently a bill before the Indiana House, HB 1126, to lengthen the amount of time in which one can renew a 4 year to a Lifetime from 180 days to 2 years.
    Third, Jack, there's enough info out there SOMEwhere to show when guns are bought or perhaps when ammo was bought.. if nothing else, security cameras in stores will show the ammo counter and register and photos will show who was there. I suppose if you bought all your guns over 40 years ago and do all your own reloading... but even then, you have to buy cases, primer, and powder, even if you cast your own bullets. There is a record somewhere for all of us. :n00b:
    Fourth, G McBride, we have no way of knowing that. Whether or not someone is "grandfathered" in any legislation is never a given or a "done deal" until the bill is written, voted, and signed into law.

Blessings,
    Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    He was on with Pat White and said that he THOUGHT that it was just a rumor going around that the lifetime permit was going away but that he wasn't sure what the legislature had planned down in Indy for sure.

He said that the legislature was trying to cut down on paperwork to make it easier for people to get their LTCH by giving the option of a lifetime permit, but that the legislature is getting concerned that the revenue stream from the permits will pretty much dry up withing the next couple of years because most everyone is opting for the lifetime permit vs. the 4 year permit. He IS recommending to people that ask his advice for them to go ahead and get the lifetime permit because of it being cost effective in the long run, but he also said that the legislature could determine to invalidate the permits at any time.

I was glad to hear him say the he supports an (legally) armed citizenry and encourages anyone that qualifies to get there LTCH, acquire a firearm and receive proper training for it so that they can protect themself and those around them.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    He was on with Pat White and said that he THOUGHT that it was just a rumor going around that the lifetime permit was going away but that he wasn't sure what the legislature had planned down in Indy for sure.

He said that the legislature was trying to cut down on paperwork to make it easier for people to get their LTCH by giving the option of a lifetime permit, but that the legislature is getting concerned that the revenue stream from the permits will pretty much dry up withing the next couple of years because most everyone is opting for the lifetime permit vs. the 4 year permit. He IS recommending to people that ask his advice for them to go ahead and get the lifetime permit because of it being cost effective in the long run, but he also said that the legislature could determine to invalidate the permits at any time.

I was glad to hear him say the he supports an (legally) armed citizenry and encourages anyone that qualifies to get there LTCH, acquire a firearm and receive proper training for it so that they can protect themself and those around them.

So , now I am a revenue stream problem? Kiss my Grits! I pay taxes the LTCH should not be considered a revenue opportunity. I suggest that they solve the problem of how to pay for this by eliminating the need for a permit all together.

Buckaroo

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Top Bottom