• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I invested in very nice Ruger 1722 - The Magnum Research model with the really light composite Bull Barrel.

After numerous jams - magazine adjustments etc. I cannot run a 10 round factory Ruger with the best CCI Mini Mag ammo w/o a jam or FTF.

Please see the condition of the inside of the MR 1722 after 1200 rounds and at least 10 through cleanings and lubes.
    :dunno:

(Photo's edited out due to legal issue's)

In a discussion with a tech at Brownell's, he told me that "Brass and Lead" should not tear up the insde of a Steel gun.

I beg to differ with that statement with the looks of this weapon...

Please give me advise!
    This gun is no fun at all now...
    :xmad:

TK :patriot:

Last edited:

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    doesnt look damaged to me, any more details? how is it jamming? are the cartridges hitting the barrel? is the nose of the bullet going in and getting bent?

pics of the bolt face, extractor? does it hold a cartridge up against the bolt face? does the cartridge snag on the extractor while pushing it up into the notch?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    did you ever dissasemble it and have trouble getting it back together? it looks like something was out of alignment causing the damage in there.... at this point i think all you can do is file off the rough edges which are more than likely keeping the bolt from going home with any consistancy..... other than that it might be time for a new reciever...

kingrat.... i dont know how you didnt see the damage in there?

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    did you ever dissasemble it and have trouble getting it back together? it looks like something was out of alignment causing the damage in there.... at this point i think all you can do is file off the rough edges which are more than likely keeping the bolt from going home with any consistancy..... other than that it might be time for a new reciever...

honestly i still dont for sure, i see a little rough spot in one part but in another picture it doesnt look like anything :dunno:

gunluster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2008
    The breechface of that barrel is rougher than a cob. One thing that I saw that tells me that the barrel metal is soft is the rather pronounced firing pin "dent" on the breechface above the chamber. I would let Magnum Research know about it. A barrel swap may be all that you need. Those burrs from the threaded holes from the front of your receiver need to be removed too.

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    The breechface of that barrel is rougher than a cob. One thing that I saw that tells me that the barrel metal is soft is the rather pronounced firing pin "dent" on the breechface above the chamber. I would let Magnum Research know about it. A barrel swap may be all that you need. Those burrs from the threaded holes from the front of your receiver need to be removed too.

i saw that in the first picture and thought it was dirt build up or something, in the other picture it doesnt look that bad except for the hint of the firing pin kissing it, it could have deformed the chamber slightly and is making the rounds harder to extract, but i dont know if that is directly related to his FTF problem or not

its easy to say that everything could be the problem, but unless i missed it he didnt specify how it was jamming up

im just gonna sit back and see how this turns out :popcorn:

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Looks to me as though a serious lead/copper fouling removal day is in order.
    I recommend "Sweets 7.62" copper solvent. Follow the instructions on the bottle and clean the crap out of the barrel. Do not use stainless steel brushes!.. Unless of course you intend to ruin that or any other barrel.
    Bronze bristle brushes are what you should use even though the sweets will eat them up over time.
    Grab a bag of cotton patches and have at it.
    I don't think the chamber face is all that bad. My guess is your accuracy problems stem from excessive fouling of the barrel.

Good luck.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    If none of this advise works.... I would take it to the batting cage and see how she does there you never know you might go 20 for 20 and then she's a sweet shooter again!

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The gun has a aluminum receiver. The whole setup only weighs like 3 pounds.

TK,

The chamber could be dirty causing the ammo not to feed. Also the receiver/stock fitting could be causing the mags not to seat right. The mags have the feed ramp built into them so if that stock/receiver fitting is off that could be part of the issue.

Did the stock come with the gun?

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    My concern is the pin dent in the top of the breech face. Either your rifle has seen a lot of dry firing or the firing pin is over-spec. Excessive dry firing and or an out of spec pin striking the breech face like that over time will hammer the breech face in and the material will move to the area of least resistance with is toward the chamber. This will cause extraction issues, primer strike/failure to fire issues, and in some cases feeding problems.

I would see a gunsmith about your issues, he/she could clean the face and chamber up and spec the firing pin out for you.

I have seen similar issues before with 10/22s, so many after market custom upgrade parts out there and a lot of people believe they are 100% drop-in no fitting required.

I don't see any issue here that should not be able to be resolved.:twocents:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    With all the issues that you have been having with that poor rifle, get her back to Magnum Research. It seems that you get her running at Eagle Creek, then it conks out again.

jtmarine1911, it is not a hilljack aftermarket special, its a highly tuned factory rifle from Magnum Research. They should be honoring any and all repair work on it.

Turnkey, send that puppy back and tell them you either want a refund or a functioning rifle!! I am disappointed so far. Was impressed with the weight of the rifle, but that means nothing if it cant shoot it reliably! :)

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    With all the issues that you have been having with that poor rifle, get her back to Magnum Research. It seems that you get her running at Eagle Creek, then it conks out again.

jtmarine1911, it is not a hilljack aftermarket special, its a highly tuned factory rifle from Magnum Research. They should be honoring any and all repair work on it.

Turnkey, send that puppy back and tell them you either want a refund or a functioning rifle!! I am disappointed so far. Was impressed with the weight of the rifle, but that means nothing if it cant shoot it reliably! :)

Sorry you misread me, never said it was a HillJack aftermarket special. I simple stated that I had seen similar issues in some 10/22s before that some "HillJack" had used a aftermarket parts without fitting . I am familiar with the Magnum Research builds and know how fine of a rifle they are.

What I was leaning towards at the beginning of the post was the ridiculous dry fire dent on the breech face. I don't know if the OP is responsible for this or not but if it has been continuously dry fired the warranty dept. is not going to be to thrilled.:dunno:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    True, it does look like it has been dry fired quite a bit, probably due to the huge amount of misfeeds that occurred with it. Having shot and seen this actual rifle in action, it did misfeed quite a bit, probably leading to a high amount of dry fires. One would figure that the Ruger design group would have made a bolt hold open, but hey, the rifles sell themselves! :D

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I always thought the ruger was designed to be dry fired. My 10/22 looks fine after quite a few dry fires.

You would think that the $ invested in a MR clone that you would be able to dry fire as well.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wow! Thank you all so much for the input.

This is my first venture with a good 22LR - I've always been a shotgun & pistol person and this has been a real experience to say the least. Trying to learn on your own really sucks and have to give a real high five to all that have assisted me at the Eagle Creek Range and now here at INGO...:ingo:

did you ever disassemble it and have trouble getting it back together? it looks like something was out of alignment causing the damage in there.... at this point i think all you can do is file off the rough edges which are more than likely keeping the bolt from going home with any consistency..... other than that it might be time for a new receiver...

Yes, the first few times were a bear although now all comes together really easy. The trigger group / slide release took for ever to break-in. After several drops of some good gun oil it has freed up. The bolt / spring took the same to come together properly.

If I do end up sending it back, I will definatly address this with them.

Looks to me as though a serious lead/copper fouling removal day is in order.
    I recommend "Sweets 7.62" copper solvent. Follow the instructions on the bottle and clean the crap out of the barrel. Do not use stainless steel brushes!.. Unless of course you intend to ruin that or any other barrel.
    Bronze bristle brushes are what you should use even though the sweets will eat them up over time.
    Grab a bag of cotton patches and have at it.
    I don't think the chamber face is all that bad. My guess is your accuracy problems stem from excessive fouling of the barrel.
    I've cleaned that barrel like crazy. R. Lee Army would be proud. But, I always have had more trouble with jams after longer shooting periods. I did pick up a "Bore Snake" from Bob at Plainfield to run through the barrel after 100 rounds or so.

The gun has a aluminum receiver. The whole setup only weighs like 3 pounds.
    This explains a whole lot to me! I thought it was Steel...
    The chamber could be dirty causing the ammo not to feed. Also the receiver/stock fitting could be causing the mags not to seat right. The mags have the feed ramp built into them so if that stock/receiver fitting is off that could be part of the issue.

Did the stock come with the gun?
    Yes, it is the Knoxx stock.

True, it does look like it has been dry fired quite a bit, probably due to the huge amount of misfeeds that occurred with it. Having shot and seen this actual rifle in action, it did misfeed quite a bit, probably leading to a high amount of dry fires. One would figure that the Ruger design group would have made a bolt hold open, but hey, the rifles sell themselves! :D
    10-4 on this bro...This weapon had a big sticker on the top rail saying "Do Not Dry fire" Oh Well -- This is history now due to all the jams.
    I never played Glock with this rifle and tried to dry fired it.

I've been in contact with manufacturers on the jamming issues and will more than likely be sending it out for repair. I will keep an update on my little 22LR beast until I get it running right.

Thanks All :)

TK :patriot:

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Shipping Question

In a combined effort to have this rifle repaired, I have been given a manufactures FFL number to use to ship with. I told them I could use a local gun dealer, But...

My question on shipping is, do I necessary need to go to a gun shop and have them ship the gun or can I just box it up and take it to UPS myself and post their FFL number on the outside of the box?

It's been years since I've mailed a gun. The last time was to S&W and I just took it to UPS and sent it, but that was 1999...

Advise please!

TK :ingo:

Top Bottom