• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm sure there are some folks out there who can weigh in on this. One of the major complaints regarding the small 380s is the recoil; with descriptions on some running from "snappy" for the Taurus 738 to "painfull" on the KelTec. Having shot both, I can't really disagree.

However, I've been asked to recommend a .380 for a petite lady. Her SO wants to get her interested in shooting and he wants to stay away from snappy and painfull. I have no experience with the Karh 380, but have read good things about its "moderate recoil". Can anyone fill me in? Thanks.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I bought my wife a Bersa 380 Thunder. She has the double stack mag (15 rds). She loves it. It has a bit of a bark though--a bit louder than I anticipated... But the problem she is facing is that it's a bit large in the handle for her to easily CC. I'm considering the same gun in the "Conceal" version. They have one at Bradis for about $310 I think?

But to answer your question directly, she doesn't mind the recoil at all and she's a little thing.

Good luck in your search.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The Khar .380 is the cadilac of pocket .380's. Much ncier and smoother than anything else I've ever shot in a pocket gun. Be it a .32, .380 or 9mm.

It's the only pocket .380 (or .32 or 9mm) I'd even consider buying right now.

If you want a truly 'snappy' gun, the 9x18 PA63 is the winner ;)

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I have a LCP and the Kahr 380. It is like the best shooting small pocket gun. Feels good for beening small but does not have a snap to it. The Kahr is a true pocket gun. Shoots good and does what it was made to do.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    How a gun fits the hand is more a factor in felt recoil than man believe. My old model 60 with +P loads of 38 did not feel good with the wooden grips. I installed monogrips and the recoil (Felt) was reduced and the snappy was gone.

The walther PPK ppk/s 380 is the old standby in the 380 or 9mm that often gets overlooked. It is a heavy gun but not overly sized and if it fits the hand well would be a cool little number for a petite lady who most likely carries a purse. Recoil would be much less of a issue with a little weight behind it. Plus you got the James Bond 007 thing to sell it on to the lady.

The Kahr has the thin chicks adds and that might be cool to her also. It weighs much less the the ppk. They got some hot chicks it those adds. I bet they sell lots of them.

If in a purse is the normal mode of carry other pistols might just be a great choice. The H&K m7 p9 has a gas system that really helps recoil and it is 30 oz empty. I love this gun and wish I had one for both hands. I mention this often. These I think were introduced in 1979 and I used to see them at the gun shows when I was first intrested in pistols. I did not buy my first pistol till the 1985 and there was this german mark to us dollar thing going on and these turned expensive.

Heckler & Koch P7 PSP 9mm

I won't mention any revolvers but maybe a number.

327 magnum

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've shot and/or owned the Taurus, Kel-Tec, Ruger, and Kahr .380s. The one I have kept is the Kahr. It feels the best to me not just in felt recoil but general handling s well. That said, I still would steer a S.O in a tamer direction when starting out.

leedawg77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    Kahrs are tremendous quality. I didn't know until recently Kahr is owned by the Moonie guy. I've been looking at several of their models, shot a few of them. You can feel the quality.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    . . . However, I've been asked to recommend a .380 for a petite lady. Her SO wants to get her interested in shooting and he wants to stay away from snappy and painfull. I have no experience with the Karh 380, but have read good things about its "moderate recoil". Can anyone fill me in?

Yeah, she'll probably find it "snappy." Think about it:

P380 - 9.97 oz, 0.75" width
    P3AT - 8.3 oz, 0.77" width
    LCP - 9.4 oz, 0.82" width

Similar weights, widths and actions. The bore axis looks similar (just by eyeballing them). By what magic is the P380 going to be significantly less snappy than it's peers? The Kahr is the heaviest, and imo has the best grip, and those things help, but it's not a paradigm shift.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Design is even more important than weight. Straight blowback systems impart all of the recoil back. Delayed blowback systems or locking breach systems take some of that felt recoil away. I have owned a Bersa .380 ( heavier, but ok to shoot), a SS PPK .380 (cool and small, heavy for the size, LOTS of muzzle flip), a Grendel (don't bother) a Sig 232 (large, light, still snappy), and 2 COlt Mustang Pocketlites (HEAVEN).

ALmost eveyone who shoots my Colt wants to buy it and remarks on how light the recoil is. I believe the new SIg .238 shares this quality, but I haven't shot one yet.

I disagree with Jmarriott on the PPK's weight taking out the snap. We carry SIG .357s on my job, and every FI I know thinks the PPK is cool, but very snappy to the point of biting a smaller shooter. My Colt Mustang shoots like a bb gun with the delayed blowback system.

SO my advice is shoot the others and try them, but make sure you try a Colt and/or Sig 238 also. If she is set on a small .380 I will be surprised if she doesn't want to "Pony UP' for the Colt.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    LCP

LCP's are great...I sold one recently and not a day has gone by that I do not regret it...in a way I like having a gun I can throw in my pocket and not worry about it...It performed flawlessly but the sights were nonexistent
    I have a LCP and the Kahr 380. It is like the best shooting small pocket gun. Feels good for beening small but does not have a snap to it. The Kahr is a true pocket gun. Shoots good and does what it was made to do.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Don't know how I missed this thread originally. I have fired the Kel-Tec P3AT and Ruger LCP; neither one is especially pleasant. The Kahr P380, in contrast, is "all day" comfortable.

OP - if you want to meet up at MCF&G some Thursday or Sunday, I'd be happy to let you run my P380 so you can report on it firsthand.

Here's video of me shooting the P380:

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Don't know how I missed this thread originally. I have fired the Kel-Tec P3AT and Ruger LCP; neither one is especially pleasant. The Kahr P380, in contrast, is "all day" comfortable.
    http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i...rips/5_1_10/?action=view&current=DSCN0539.mp4

I agree with this 100%, I had a LCP and it was tough on the hand, with the P380 I could hit 8" diameter targets at 25 feet 6 out of 7 times easily, the Kahr is not a low cost weapon but they make a smooth trigger and a dependable pistol and they hold their value well , I have the PM9 as well and love it too.

Top Bottom